Metro Radio Ratings: Survey 6, 2019

I mean, Nova 96.9 and KIIS 1065’s 10-17 share is fairly similar, Nova beat KIIS last survey in that age bracket, and have only fallen a little this survey.

I’d hardly call that ‘losing the next generation to KIIS’.

If anything, radio is losing the next generation to online. That’s not reflected in a survey outcome though…

Big increase 18-24 which is interesting to say the least… Didn’t this happen at the same time in 2017? Must be something about this time of year…

If history is anything to go by, Gold will be farewelling Christian by the end of the year… :wink:

I think there are many executives of radio stations and networks around the country that are willing to place blame for failures at the feet of just about anyone but themselves. Because to do so would admit they’re not the right person or people for the job…

Much easier to keep your $500k+ salary when it’s everyone else’s fault.

6 Likes

Except the #1 FM bfast in Brisbane has had the same males since the beginning save for a couple of breaks for Ash Bradnam when he needed help from alcohol and they’re still firing along. On air is it 14 years and still at or near the top.

Impressed that AW rates so well in 40 -54. It is possible to create talk radio relevant for those < 65 unlike 2GB.

@Brianc68, agree with your analysis of the Brisbane FMs.

MSR: well overdue to end the format.

In Perth:
6IX result is soft. Affirms the ‘forever classic’ format is not right for the market, try tailoring to suit.

In Sydney:
2CH need external marketing for bfast and beyond.

@HUFF what is the lowest recorded overall share for 4BH?

He’s wrong, plain and simple.

1 Like

Apparently, 6iX takes the same log as heard on 2CA in Canberra on a 2-3 hour delay.

Having said that, 6iX has generally rated lower than that of 4KQ & Cruise for many years, despite having FM translators at Wanneroo & Rockingham since 2005.

2 Likes

Exactly, that’s what the problem is. The music programming does not meet the needs of the Perth audience and numerous Canberra surveys affirm similar.

2 Likes

Interesting results for 2GB - afternoons falling by 1.1% during Steve Price’s first survey (at 10.5%, they now have to share the #1 spot with WSFM) while nights increased by 1.1% with John Stanley at the helm.

Still reckon they’ll give Steve Price until at least the end of this year before reviewing the timeslot.

Of course, Melbourne also doesn’t have a 2CH-like Classic Hits station which competes for older end of the demographic.

…and yet there’s still people out there who are adamant that Ben Fordham should be a co-host of Today! :laughing:

Agreed, the aqua/pink colour scheme is an awful choice for a younger skewing radio network like Hit.

This is absolutely true. For the most part, older skewing music stations have been performing better than younger skewing ones in recent years.

Oh, I couldn’t agree more. I’m no expert on marketing by any means, but surely it’d make sense for 2CH to run an advertising campaign among these lines…

You get the general idea. Sydney’s Tonight Live with Chris Kearns would probably benefit from a similar external advertising campaign, focusing on local content just for Sydney while the others have gone to networked content or an automated playlist.

1 Like

Going to be very interesting to see what SCA do with Mix in Perth come 2020.

It took 20 years, but it’s apparent now that the format is on the nose and they no longer have popular presenters to continue to carry that stale format as they used to.

1 Like

Yes 6ix should do better with those FM translators

2 Likes

A relaunch and a name change to Triple M???

2 Likes

If they had the right programming, they would.

1 Like

At least SCA are trying different things with 2Day. Shame the same can’t be said about MML and MSR, or even with EON and the marketing of 2CH.

As for 96FM, this is an example of what can happen if you change direction and break the network mould to meet your market.

“Triple M-ing” Mix94.5 won’t do SCA any favours.

6 Likes

Exactly. If anything they need to move away from Triple M-ing it and go back to the heritage of 94.5 which is more Smooth-ish

6 Likes

I reckon under the current management Price would have to go into the negative in the ratings* before anything would happen.

*I know that’s not possible. :grinning:

2 Likes

“Continued growth” (of MSR) ???

What on earth are they smoking?

6 Likes

Wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest that SCA might actually be somewhat happy with Mix94.5’s ratings so that they can make an excuse for that name change.

3 Likes

Yeah that wouldn’t surprise me either. It’s the type of warped logic they would embrace

2 Likes

The even deeper warped logic would be if they do change their name but keep the same format meaning 96fm would be more Triple M musically speaking than Triple M Perth!

6 Likes

The problem with the FM translator / AM hybrid is commuting to Perth involves a frequency change from AM to FM as soon as you hit about 20 - 30km north / south of the Perth CBD. They don’t have that many listeners that are dedicated to that level to the station.

3 Likes

There’s the DAB option (or streaming) if you want continuous stereo listening, but as you say, not as readily available in cars as AM or FM radio.

I was wondering what the range of the 105.7 repeaters were - not powerful enough to cover the entire license area (as a de-facto FM conversion of sorts) I take it?

1 Like

I’m just out of the CBD and can’t get it on my car radio at home, but can with my portable radio with aerial pointed toward the south. From my experience it comes in pretty well from Cockburn south, and from Reid Hwy north, and on the coast at most points too but I haven’t done a whole run from south to north on the frequency to test the extremities.

7 Likes