Metro Radio Ratings: Survey 6, 2019

Yes I wondered the same thing. I’d actually assumed the FM translators would get you right into the CBD from north or south. They must be pretty weak if not. I’d based my assumption on the reception of say 92.1 Breeze from Gold Coast/Logan which you can receive in the car right into the Brisbane CBD.

1 Like

Unfortunately not, @Weeman88 is about right in terms of car radio reception - the Joondalup translator fades out about 10km north of the CBD, and the Rockingham one about ~25km south.

You can’t even hear the FM translators from the 6IX studios in Osborne Park.
I definitely think that the station has an ongoing impact on ratings on the fact that those commuting in/out of the CBD have to switch from FM to AM if they don’t have a DAB+ Radio in their car. the 1080AM signal has continued to degrade in quality over the years in general on top of this.

4 Likes

0.3 in S/7 2017

1 Like

Thanks again @HUFF, so the lowest result has been during this current interstate format during the current ownership.

How embarrassing it must be for them, yet I don’t think they care.

MML don’t care because they’re selling to a niche audience (24/7 sport lovers) so their argument could be that it’s the type of product they’re producing that doesn’t require a mass audience.

In other words, MML understand that MSR would never hit over 3-4 points in the ratings. If they can just shake off the 0.1, 0.2, etc. I’m sure they’d be happy.

But what’s more important to shareholders? Knowing you are the monopoly (when it comes to commercial talk radio)? Or knowing your network also has the lowest rating national (sports) network in the country?

So that was in the Talking Lifestyle era?

4BH as a music station hasn’t rates anywhere near that low?

1 Like

I don’t think Mix 94.5 has been this low since they converted to FM in 1991. 96FM and PMFM were dominant back then.

4 Likes

Perth’s shake up with 96FM’s growth just shows us how stale the market is there.

They are in need of change. Finally.

4 Likes

That is correct… best I can tell it’s the lowest for Mix/KY-FM/6KY since 1976.

3 Likes

How bad is the reception in translator zones? Is it noticeable in a car? In Sydney we have repeaters for wsfm but for in car reception not many people would bother changing the frequency.