Metro Radio Ratings: Survey 6, 2019

I think you meant to add the FM in your original post, as there are several other commercial stations on AM that rate lower than Hit in those markets. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Done. Spot on - I did mean FM.

1 Like

But 12 months ago Hit105 in Brisbane was No.1 overall. Brisbane is a rather tight market though.

1 Like

From Nova 106.9

You would be referring to the S5/2018 figures, where hit105 was #1 with 11.8%, with 4MMM, 97.3 & Nova not far behind, with only 0.4% separating #1 & #4.

On a similar tangent, itā€™s amazing to think that just 12 months ago during S6/2018, 96fm was the lowest rating commercial FM station in Perth with 7.2%. Now, itā€™s knocking at Novaā€™s door for the #1 spot! :scream:

4 Likes

Brisbane is a horrendously boring market at least from an FM perspective. Thank god for 4KQ and the fringe FM stations.

As for the major FMs itā€™s in dire need of a shakeup. None of them seem willing to actually break away and try anything different and hence they are all stuck in this deadlock. Itā€™s not that theyā€™re competitive IMO itā€™s that they are all equally bad.

97.3 could be clear No 1 if they went broader and softer with the playlist and ditched the networked shows.

Triple M could be clear No 1 if they did a 96FM

Hit 105 would be No 1 if they copied 2dayā€™s playlist.

But none of them will for some reason.

6 Likes

Why would anyone copy 2Days playlist?

2 Likes

The Brisbane market is very different from Sydney due to there not being a WS FM or Smooth FM. The 2day playlist would go gangbusters in Brisbane for that reason.

4 Likes

Hit 107 in Adelaide is a good example, which has a similar format to that of 2Day, even using the same ā€œMore Music, More Varietyā€ positioner. Plus, its market is a bit similar to that of Brisbane, at least in terms of the number of commercial music stations (4 x FM; 1 x AM).

The station is #1 in the 25-39s with 17.5%, and is 3rd in the 40-54s behind Mix 102.3 & 5MMM with 12.3%.

4 Likes

I wish the failing stations would at least do something. MSR and 2DayFM in Sydney are quite happy to just flounder along from survey to survey.

MSR leaves me speechless. Canā€™t they see the relative success of 2CH, 4KQ, cruise or 6iX? They are rating a 1.1 and continue to persist with the whole endeavour. I would have pulled the plug a year ago. Thereā€™s no coming back from a 1 share. Please someone - flick the switch.

As for 2DayFM - maybe itā€™s time for The New 2DayFM to shake things up as The Rock of the 20s next year. Do something. Anything.

4 Likes

100% agreed. Iā€™d love to have a Mix Auckland, The Sound NZ or More NZ on air in Brisbane. If only one of them was willing to take the plunge :cry:

4 Likes

2Day Fm should go for 4KQ / 2CA format. I guess they canā€™t be classic hits (give 2CH). If they keep the hits brand. Iā€™d also play some new music that would suit people who would like The Beatles. It might overlap a bit with Triple M especially some of the music played in the evening. Young people donā€™t listen to radio as much. So KIIS/Nova/The Edge is enough for Sydney. We donā€™t have a 2CA & 4KQ . 2CH is still a bit different.

A more risky alternative they can go hard and heavy rock, maybe too Niche. Country wonā€™t work (remember Kick AM?).

1 Like

Country is pretty different to what it was in the early 90s. Even Nova are playing some crossover tracks recently such as One Thing Right from Kane Brown (US country artist). Go and stream a typical major market US country station and much of the newer releases sound pop anyway (lots of hip-hop, pop or electronic elements), and many of those stations in the large cities do really well.

I think they need to go hard for the Smooth/WS audience which are both at the top.

At the moment 2Day is trying to go for both KIIS and WS but failing.

1 Like

Maybe Kick FM ,revive the brand :slight_smile:, or has it been taken from narrowcaster (like @2UW)? Although 2day ā€œbrandā€ has lots of goodwill.

I agree. Iā€™m astounded by MSR in particular. As you say do something. Itā€™s so obvious what theyā€™re doing isnā€™t going to succeed.

4 Likes

Me too! Itā€™s 97.3 that frustrates me the most. They have a solid foundation and wouldnā€™t have to change that dramatically to really stand out and be more successful.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s it - 973 have a great base and only need to sway a few tracks towards a smooth type list or a full on 80ā€™s/90ā€™s list. Either one would be an instant winner.

3 Likes

For the record, 12.0 is the largest share for 104.3 since S8/2005

4 Likes

Adam Lang indicating a beautiful set of numbers for Macquarie Sports Radio.