Metro Radio Ratings: Survey 1, 2022

Good result for 96FM toppling Nova 93.7 who won the ratings last year

2 Likes

Don’t disagree, but it’s what people want from a station here. Remember when ARN first bought 96FM, they tried to ‘freshen’ it up, and it was an abject failure. ARN management were smart enough to realise this, and when Mix changed direction, 96FM took the old Mix formula.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/abcadelaide/status/1501734584308105216?s=20&t=IMLm9eT4ZYN5AJmntJSI-w

ARN:

ARN enters third year as Australia’s leading audio company

The first ratings for 2022 are in and ARN enter their third year as Australia’s #1 network growing to a 18.8% (including DAB+) and Australia’s biggest metro cumulative audience with 5.468 million listeners (including DAB+). This is ARN’s eighteenth consecutive winning survey as radio’s #1 network as well as the #1 podcast network in Australia.

In Sydney, Melbourne, Perth and Adelaide, ARN hold the #1FM Stations. In Sydney, ARN’s Breakfast duopoly also continues to dominate with KIIS 1065’s Kyle & Jackie O and WSFM’s Jonesy & Amanda. In Melbourne GOLD104.3’s The Christian O’Connell Show is #1FM with KIIS 101.1 delivering significant growth across every daypart, and in Perth 96FM have had the biggest gains in market to take out the top spot overall.

And there is more to celebrate, with the network now delivering even more reach and scale nationally with the finalisation of the acquisition of Grant Broadcasters radio operations. ARN now reaches 8 million people nationwide across 135 stations and 71 markets in every state and territory*.

3 Likes

From a Sydney perspective, its great to see the old girl 2UE with a nice lift in its first survey since the ACE relaunch. The station has been sounding good and reaching out to listeners for feedback and music research. As I had suspected 2UE has chipped a bit off Smooth / WS / 2CH. Actually a lot more than a chip off 2CH who lost more than 25% of their DAB+ cume and surely sliding into oblivion under SENs tragic ownership of this former Sydney stalwart. 2GB are bookended by magnificent figures for Ben Fordham in breakfast (any doubts about his ability to keep pulling Jones+ brekky numbers now fully dispelled…BF is the real deal long term) and the mercurial John Stanley in nights. In between are a couple of worries however for 2GB … big drops for Ray Hadley (but still easily no 1 in mornings) and Deb Knight in afternoons (12-4pm went from no 1 last survey to no 5 this time). Guess Deb can thank Ray for crunching her lead in?

3 Likes

While Magic 1278 also went up slightly, 4BH had a slight fall - reckon that though might just be a one-off.

ACE has had a solid start in their stewardship of Nine’s music stations - they’ve done well reinvograting those stations and breathing new life into them.

5 Likes

Yes I think the 4BH result is a blip/one off.

2 Likes

Perhaps 4BH is also dropping because of its new frequency causing worse AM reception.

3 Likes

Maybe but that hasn’t shown up till now and it’s been quite a while since the switch.

2 Likes

Don’t listen to local radio that much. I am the older demographic who would, the next gen do streaming with earbuds, so not surprisingly NovaFM which would be the obvious favourite is feeling the effect of demographic changes. Yes more people do listen to top 40 tunes which only Nova FM really plays, but radio is an decreasing fraction of that for the under 40s that do. 96fm I presume play the classic hits which resonates for over 40s pining for when music was so much better in the 70s, 80s and maybe 90s. Pure music, no music videos (which is TV).

And that is consistent with increasing ratings for talkback format stations, side B of the over 40s who listen to 96fm music format. Do under 40s even listen to talkback? Maybe only podcasts and youtube vids.

3 Likes

The new format seems to be helping 2Day. Going up while WS and Smooth fell slightly. I think this is exactly who they should be targeting to keep growing.

6 Likes

It’s worth noting that in Brisbane, the “Other Stations” ratings is at 21.2%, probably its highest ever recorded.

On among some of the demos, re “Other Stations” ratings in Brisbane:

25-39s: 20.7%
40-54s: 26.7%
55-64s: 22.6%

5 Likes

It would be fascinating to know how the cumes have changed for each demographic over the last 20 years.
For example, this survey shows that there are 471 000, 10-17 year olds who listen to the radio in Sydney each week. The largest group are the 25 - 39 year olds - with 1.2M listeners.
What were these figures a decade ago? Two decades ago?

2 Likes

Not surprised with those high figures, particularly the 40-54s. So many better choices for “us”. River, Rebel, Breeze, 99.7

3 of the 4 local commercial FMs don’t cater for over 40s and Triple M is average at best, with too much talk.

4 Likes

Quite an extensive report on Studio 10 this morning again. Sydney’s 2GB and KIIS got a mention on Nine.

2 Likes

I think the fun needs to be brought back to afternoons on 3AW. The “newsier” format in the afternoon appears to be just too much for most. It’s not a disastrous score, but you wouldn’t want it dropping much further.

I think there needs to be a reprieve from the hard hitting “news of the day opinions” and DeeDees editorials. Bring more fun segments in and more time for the content that isn’t as news heavy

2 Likes

I may have asked this before, but is the reception that dramatically different on 1116?

3 Likes

Also doesn’t help that the show is ridiculously overloaded with segments. Today for example there would be all the regular segments on a Thursday on technology, news of the day, stains, crime, trending, plus Dee Dee’s questions at the start of the program, all packed into three hours.

Even two years after the presenter change I’m still reading comments saying bring back Denis Walter to Afternoons. I’d also wonder what the ratings would be like if someone like Elise Elliott hosted the program…

2 Likes

I don’t think Dee Dee is the problem. I think it’s the content. Dennis took his producers (understandably) and I just think the afternoon show takes itself too seriously now. I do agree there are too many segment and they are frequently rushed like it’s a list they need to tick off daily

6 Likes

Meanwhile, for the first time (that I can recall) SEN Breakfast and RSN Breakfast tied!!

2 Likes

Not that I’ve noticed to be honest. I’m not sure what it’s like at the fringes but it seems on par with 882 across the metro area to me. It’s also great in the tunnels lol… often the only time I’m on AM rather than DAB, except when I’m out cycling or walking with my old-school walkman.

3 Likes