Metro Radio Ratings: Survey 1, 2022

Spot on … indeed More than solid in my city of Sydney where 2UE just increased its people 10+ number by over 20% to 3.2. ACE has provided focus and consistency for the 9Radio music assets … unlike 9 themselves who basically neglected these stations for years with a series of crap rubbish loser formats while they focused resources on their talk network. I can’t speak for MEL and BNE but in SYD there was a noticeable gap in the market between the other music stations and 2UE is driving through it very nicely. Now to knock off 2DAY next survey ! Shouldn’t be too hard …

1 Like

When Kyle and Jackie O leave the KIIS network will be worthless. It’s tough thing to say but that station would be rating below Nova 10+ if it wasn’t for Sydney breakfast which organically brings workday listening. Especially with their big tactics around the Kyle and Jackie O. Long term. 97.3 as a Gold station would have been smarter.

7 Likes

Rubbish. I doubt it very much. ARN are clever and know the KIIS brand is their gravy train long term. 1) Sydney is very parochial and brand focused. KIIS is a significant and valuable brand as I have posted here recently. Pure Gold is not a brand at all in Sydney. WS is successful only because of its heritage value previously 2WS. 2) Apart from SCA … Nova is the laziest network. ARN is way smarter and will keep up the KIIS brand value. 3) Who said K & JO are going anywhere anytime? 4) Many said 2GB would collapse after Alan Jones left … pffft they are as successful as ever because of the brand power of 2GB in such a parochial city as Sydney. See point 1) above … rinse and repeat…

1 Like

On the other hand, we all know what’s happened to 2Day FM (a once very successful station) since Kyle & Jackie O left…

When it comes to FM radio in particular, listeners generally display more loyalty to personalities and shows rather than stations themselves.

3 Likes

Fair point. But the big difference is Network IQ. SCA were beyond inept to lose K & JO in the first place … since then SCA has been a rolling litany of failure. ARN are way way smarter and are in the ascendancy.

1 Like

@shanosV8

1. Gold was being referred to 97.3 in Brisbane. Yes WSFM is the heritage brand in Sydney for ARN but it’s part of the Gold network. I mention 97.3 as a ‘Gold’ station. Not sure why you’re little rant ended up in Sydney with WSFM? But with KIIS. The brand will not be as valuable without Kyle and Jackie O. Their brand is bigger than the station. Look at 2DayFM. Same will happen to KIIS.

2. I agree here. SCA and Nova have become complacent and too safe with their campaigns in Sydney and Melbourne but seem to be strong elsewhere for Nova. SCA, well that’s a national basket case. Metro and regionally.

3. Kyle ad Jackie O are not going anywhere but nothing lasts forever. There will come a day when they leave KIIS. To leave radio or to go to another network. Whatever happens, KISS will not have their current success after this happens.

4. I was one who thought 2GB will actually survive after Alan Jones. Like all stations they do have their issues. They brand and market themselves well in Sydney but I think the last 2 years of major news stories is what’s keeping talk stations afloat. If the world ever reverts back to ‘normal’ you’ll see the numbers take a drive for talkback. Yes the younger demographics like talkback as it’s something they can’t get from Spotify. But in the future talk radio will become a mid-pack player.

I think ARN are way smarter than SCA but their ongoing success (although it won’t be as great as it is now) depends on who is programming the station.

4 Likes

That may be a mixture of River 94.9, Rebel, Breeze, Hot 91, Sea FM 91.9 and Mix 29.7.

The community stations in total may have up to 5% of that figure too.

3 Likes

Again I think you are well wide of the mark here. Talk radio keeps evolving to engage a range of demographics e.g. younger as you say. The thirst for engagement across listeners is what will keep talk radio in the ascendancy. The numbers will not take a “dive” for talk radio nor will it become a mid-pack player. Leading Talent like K & JO will likely evolve into greater talk back with KIIS until the day they finally hang up their headphones…in about 25 years. The listeners will stay with them.

4 Likes

A good result for all the networks, possibly with the exception of MMM.

Good to see Ace’s stations increase, they are sounding great and should get to at least a 4 or 5 in Sydney and possibly Melbourne.

The DAB stations are sounding fantastic, it’s a very competitive market at the moment.

Total listening (digital radio and streaming) across the 5 metros for the DAB stations is 2.9 million.

2 Likes

They were smart enough by purchasing 2ue and eliminating the only potential competition. KIIS has a lot more potential competition like Nova and 2day FM.

2sm isn’t interested in competing with 2gb. 2ue was the only brand that had a chance to knock GB off number 1 talk station when it was owned by someone else.

3 Likes

2 Likes

I realise I’m a little late to the party, but I think the best benchmark for Survey 1 is the previous Survey 1 as there is historically a summer holiday reset. So my take on the key takeaways for Melbourne ratings:

• SEN has lost pace. I’m starting to wonder if Hutchy has spread the network too thin with too many stations and too much networking. As a result, the local sport alternative of RSN927 seems to be picking up the spoils with SEN and RSN breakfasts now level pegging. It will be interesting battle of the sports stations to see if RSN can knock off SEN in the breakfast stakes for the full year. AFL should ensure that SEN achieves overall station glory in 2022.

• I would be quite disappointed with the Magic outcome. The ratings are basically unchanged from last year’s iPod shuffle approach. They seem to have more ads, so maybe the extra revenue is offsetting the cost of announcers, if they’re lucky. To be fair, it is a bit of a longer play and the minimal promotion as experienced under Nine has been continued. 3MP shows decent improvement of a low base, but again probably a hard long slog with minimal promotion.

• SCA had a decent survey for Fox, but it is only a slight improve on 2021. What is more concerning is the freefall of breakfast on Triple M. The Hot Breakfast regularly rated 6s and 7s. At this rate Marty Sheargold won’t last the year. It is actually quite impressive that the overall station is only slightly down on the same time last year.

• It is a bad result for the station formerly known as 3LO, however I’d be disappointed but not shattered if I was in ABC management. Historically Survey 1 has always been bad for Aunty with days of test match coverage (hey I like it though!). On the upside, Triple J is up and Patricia Karvelas has hit the ground running.

• As has been commented in several threads, Nova Entertainment you have crocked up Smooth and it shows in the ratings. On the plus side Nova100 continues to perform, so well done.

• Nine Radio - you’d be pretty happy. Basically stable overall and in breakfast ratings.

• There is one clear winner in the Melbourne ratings - Australian Radio Network. Up overall for both stations and in breakfast.

6 Likes

I thought I’d compare it with Sydney. :slight_smile:

In Sydney, both stations went up, both in overall & in breakfast.

SEN vs Sky Sports Radio

SEN - Overall

S1/2021: 0.4%
S1/2022: 0.7%

SEN - Breakfast

S1/2021: 0.2%
S1/2022: 0.6%

Sky Sports - Overall

S1/2021: 0.8%
S1/2022: 1.1%

Sky Sports - Breakfast

S1/2021: 0.9%
S1/2022: 1.5%

2UE had a good rise, in which its overall audience was up 40% over the last year.

ACE

2UE - Overall

S1/2021: 2.3%
S1/2022: 3.2%

2UE - Breakfast

S1/2021: 1.7%
S1/2022: 2.2%

In Sydney, SCA weren’t doing too well, with 2Day unchanged in the overall ratings, whilst breakfast fell. Meanwhile, Triple M fell quite significantly, particularly in breakfast with the departure of Lawrence “Moonman” Mooney at the end of last year.

Sthn Cross Austereo

Triple M - Overall

S1/2021: 6.1%
S1/2022: 4.6%

Triple M - Breakfast

S1/2021: 6.4%
S1/2022: 3.6%

2Day - Overall

S1/2021: 4.2%
S1/2022: 4.2%

2Day - Breakfast

S1/2021: 4.4%
S1/2022: 3.3%

ABC Sydney fell quite a bit from year to year. Triple J had a good rise in the ratings, whilst RN fell, both overall & in breakfast.

ABC

ABC Syd - Overall

S1/2021: 12.2%
S1/2022: 9.2%

ABC Syd - Breakfast

S1/2021: 12.7%
S1/2022: 11.6%

Triple J - Overall

S1/2021: 5.7%
S1/2022: 7.3%

Triple J - Breakfast

S1/2021: 4.8%
S1/2022: 5.1%

RN - Overall

S1/2021: 2.9%
S1/2022: 2.3%

RN - Breakfast

S1/2021: 4.5%
S1/2022: 4.1%

A similar story in Sydney.

Nova Entertainment

Nova969 - Overall

S1/2021: 6.4%
S1/2022: 6.8%

Nova969 - Breakfast

S1/2021: 6.5%
S1/2022: 7.0%

Smooth - Overall

S1/2021: 9.4%
S1/2022: 7.7%

Smooth - Breakfast

S1/2021: 7.3%
S1/2022: 6.0%

Similar with 2GB.

Nine

2GB - Overall

S1/2021: 14.4%
S1/2022: 13.8%

2GB - Breakfast

S1/2021: 18.1%
S1/2022: 19.0%

Likewise in Sydney, especially for WS, who’s overall share is up 27% from this time last year, whilst breakfast is up nearly 60% from a year ago.

Aust Radio Network

KIIS - Overall

S1/2021: 7.9%
S1/2022: 8.8%

KIIS - Breakfast

S1/2021: 9.8%
S1/2022: 10.6%

WSFM - Overall

S1/2021: 6.6%
S1/2022: 8.4%

WSFM - Breakfast

S1/2021: 5.7%