Metro Radio Ratings: Survey 1, 2021

Every show is a new show.

1 Like

Digital ratings are interesting - 2CH down but Coles and Double J are doing very well.

MMM Classic Rock had a great survey; SoundCloud radio did well on it’s first survey as did Nova 90s, Nova 10s and Noughties.

CW remix, MMM soft rock and NTS not doing so well.

It would be good to see NINE overhaul NTS, it needs to be scrapped and given a music format.

2 Likes

Business as usual, really. I think NTS has always rated poorly in the DAB+ surveys.

1 Like

There won’t be any more commercial FM stations auctioned in the metro areas, as DMG radio bought the last available high-powered FM licenses in 2004-05.

When more capacity is eventually added to DAB+, you will see more stations there.

1 Like

Yes, not sure why NINE still keep it while it rates so low.

1 Like

SEN’s dumb destruction of 1170 shown in those 2CH digital ratings - they could and should have done an extensive retune campaign - capitalise on the final days of having it on AM and transition their audience. Instead they seemed to think they could just surprise people with SEN and they’d stick around.

I’m very surprised on SoundCloud Radio rating well, part of me suspects people confusing using the website/app, but it seems strange content.

SEN Track’s listenership being entirely 10-17 demos in Sydney is interesting - shows how reliable the ratings are when you get down to these tiny subsamples.

Not sure what station ‘RSN Extra’ is referring to in the Melbourne digital ratings. There’s none by that name, and RSN Carnival 1/2 have been a full time simulcast of RSN’s main service during the ratings period AFAIK.

Big boost to MMM Classic Rock in Perth - I wonder if the station launching on FM boosted the digitals?

3MP fairly poor, I expected a little bit higher - but rebuilding from scratch is hard and their AM signal being poor doesn’t help them. Surprised how low RSN is compared to Sky Racing in Sydney - SEN brand recognition also helping the SEN track in Melb compared to Syd?

I’d make it Nine News Radio - loop the longer form bulletins/weather reports, simulcast Today/Nine News. Could do unique content if it performed.

4 Likes

Did they ever upgrade the transmitter? I know they got permission when MTR collapsed.

1 Like

Pretty decent result for SAFM’s breakfast show Bec, Cosi & Lehmo, jumping to 4th place overall & since the start of the year, John Bleby is the show’s new anchor, Bleby was once the anchor for Jodie & Soda on Mix 102.3.

1 Like

what does NTS actually carry? I’ve never listened to it but see it as I scroll past the stations on the tuner.

Being working from home I’ve been listening to Dance Hits from SCA, but I did have to give it a rest as it has quite a limited playlist and hearing the same batch of songs every day was a bit monotonous

I guess with 3MP and Magic re-launching within months of each other they’ve split what little available audience there is for oldies music on AM.

1 Like

In Coles you only hear Coles Radio, but in Chemist Warehouse CW remix competes with screens playing in-store ads, so I can understand why people visiting Chemist Warehouse may not recall that they actually heard that station.

5 Likes

That is a major flaw of the survey to have non existent station. CRA needs to pull them in to line.

3 Likes

Bogart and Glen are good for the morning - no unnecessary chat (or forced laughter/stories) you hear on the other stations and you feel a pace to get back to the music after the news & traffic.

7 Likes

They know the format well and are executing it superbly

4 Likes

Nine Queensland News - reported at Nova was number one FM station and 4KQ was number one AM stations. No mention of any others incl their own 4BC. No other reports seen.

7 Likes

I still don’t get why they differentiate the FM and AM ratings, especially in Brisbane when the No 1 AM station is a music station. What’s the point? 4KQ isn’t competing with 4BC or 612, it’s competing with Triple M, 4BH and 97.3.

3 Likes

Because the FM stations, especially In Sydney and Melbourne, wanted to hide the fact that they were being smashed by talkback on AM. Fair enough in a way because they don’t really compete. But because Sydney and too a slightly lesser extent Melbourne dominate the media, it became the approach used elsewhere too.
No different to all the ways stations try to say their number one of a specific segment/demo.

5 Likes

But they aren’t. The FMs smash AM talk’s cume.

3 Likes

And the ads are pretty different a lot of time anyway, demos much different.

3 Likes

Yes, I highly doubt you’ll ever hear ads for Pain Away or the Care Alert Smart Dialer (regular advertisers on 2GB last I heard) on KIIS 1065 or Nova 96.9! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Pain Away was a great tie in for the Alan Jones Breakfast Show.

And after many years, the product finally worked in 2020.

7 Likes