Metro Radio Ratings: Survey 1, 2021

A couple of comments on Brisbane. JJJ now doing best in Brisbane, slightly above Perth which is traditionally their best metro market.

Although it’s still close with the FM’s, Triple M and 97.3 should both be doing better, particularly 97.3.

In the DAB ratings Smooth is doing great, almost taking the No. 1 from Coles. Smooth 80s not doing that great. Same with Smooth 90s in Adelaide.

Smooth is doing well on DAB in Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth - perhaps they should do something radical and actually promote it.

3 Likes

Agree. Would be the highest share for Nine’s music stations since the Macquarie Media disaster of networked music, Talking Lifestyle and MSR.

5 Likes

Triple M a distant last in Perth after affiliate switch. Nova 93.7 had the same brekky crew for the last 13 years.

No wonder why they’re #1 in Perth on the FM band

2 Likes

Other FMs you ask @ethirkill45:

https://www.radioinfo.com.au/sites/default/files/NewsImage/Brisbane012021.png

Overall, commercial FMs up or steady, minor drop Nova, still #1 (no idea why it auto corrected earlier to 10peach)

JJJ up overall share and all shifts.

ABC Classic down overall and mixed in shifts.

1 Like

This is a repeat of 2GO if they aren’t renewed. It’s the music programming that lets it all down.

Same happened at 2GO.

3 Likes

Or because there’s no other talent that’s been developed to have been successful attract and retain audience in that time?

It’s slim pickings for Perth radio, similar for Brisbane. All attributable to a lack of opportunities for talent to hone their craft prior to a bfast gig.

3 Likes

2GB must be happy with the Breakfast ratings. Maybe when Ray retires it is not as much of a concern for Nine. No real competition so they could put almost “anyone” in that slot. My educated guess Ben Fordham would be on a lot less coin than Alan ever was.

3 Likes

That’s the largest share for 2BL since 1966.

9 Likes

Is there enough room for another commerical talkback station? Given the success of ABC / 2GB. 2SM should in my view should get back in the game in the ratings and promoting the station.

2 Likes

Triple M down to a 5.2 audience share in Melbourne was to be expected and SCA wouldn’t be surprised at that because when PD teams install new radio,breakfast shows into certain markets for example as SCAS pd team did with. Marty down in Melbourne there’s always a lot of cume audience churn that follows from it especially when a pertictular demographic audience had grown,accustomed to, listening to. A heritage legacy branded,breakfast show as the male 25-54 demographic audience that SCAS MD team skews the music log strategy’s that they put into place for the Triple M stations towards did with Eddie and Luke.

2 Likes

So expect to see that audience share for triple M in Melbourne back up next survey book and especially in breakfast too because imo SCAS CD team have gotten the talkbreak content strategy with Marty’s breakfast show right and I see a lot of potential in it and Marty and Troy Ellis who is a great radio talent bounce off each other well and the on air chemistry is great between them.

1 Like

Wow - ABC Brisbane #2 at Breakfast and 4KQ #3.

Brisbane market is too tight. Wish one of the FM stations would try something different!

7 Likes

Good to see, hopefully Magic will go up. Much better music selection than the the dreary MP.

3 Likes

Nathan, Nat and Shaun is Perth’s answer to Kyle and Jackie O.

2 Likes

So do I. Either Triple M or 97.3 need to do something to shake it up.

Triple M - dump the talk shows and capitalise on the FM104 music heritage. This would finally get some 4KQ listeners to move to FM.

97.3 - I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again. Move the music towards Smooth FM, or even just broaden the music and stop flogging over flogged songs. And dump the talk.

Failing that an additional FM station would be great :slight_smile:

I think the Brisbane market is in a state of gridlock. Nobody has any incentive to move stations or try anything else because nothing is changing. The only thing of note is I think DAB-only listening seems to be up for the likes of Smooth.

7 Likes

Breakfast result for Triple M Perth was not surprising, Basil is far too polarising for FM and adding the girlfriend of the current liberal state opposition leader made even less sense.

9 Likes

That Hot Breakfast vibe radio is so gross, people talking about AFL like it’s politics. Thank God Marty is on 105.1 now.

3 Likes

It needs a new owner, not more from the same networks. Local radio that is attuned to what the audience and clients are under served for.

2 Likes

Are Jenna Clarke and Zak Kirkup still together?

1 Like

Its great if you like hearing the same shtick repeated - he certainly likes to dip into the bag of tried and true jokes.

1 Like