Metro Radio Ratings: Survey 1, 2021

Just looking at the Sydney ratings on the demo side of things, it’s interesting to note that Smooth outrates WS in the 40-54s by 1% (12.1 to 11.1), but in the 55-64s, WS rates well ahead of Smooth (12.0 to 6.0), with the latter taking a big hit in that demo from the last survey of 2020. In the 65+, Smooth is way ahead of WS (9.0 to 2.5).

In the 65+, 2UE rose significantly from 1.2% in the previous survey to 5.8% this survey, no doubt due to the removal of 2CH from the AM band.

3 Likes

1 Like

Brisbane numbers are again very close. At breakfast just 1.4% separates 6 stations with Nova taking a hit and the others edging closer. 4BC down across all timeslots though.

3 Likes

Why is this the case do you think @TV.Cynic ?

Any thoughts @Brianc68 @LoveYouBrisbane @Rob_Melb_AU @littlegezzybear @NewsWeary ?

1 Like

2 Likes

Probably due to lessening of COVID stories/ border closures for talkback callers to be outraged about.

3 Likes

Moral of the story is don’t listen to my predictions :laughing:

Interesting to see 92.9 MMM breakfast drop 1.3%, and the networked parts of the day also dropping, but live and local during the day with a good music mix has gained. Seems like people want rock and no talk.

Genuinely shocked to see Mix stay so high, although it looks like the gains are in breakfast and during the day. They lose share during the evening.

Not sure what happened at 96FM, haven’t listened for a while.

4 Likes

There’s that ugly 96FM logo I saw around the other week.

4 Likes

I haven’t listened to the talent on 4BC but I’d guess the Breakfast show would’ve benefited from having an established, experienced radio person at the helm. Neil Breen is a fine journo but Nine did him no favours by throwing him into a high profile role with next to no radio experience. He wouldn’t be well known to Brisbane listeners and surely would’ve struggled connecting with them in such an intimate medium.

I’m always thrilled to see established radio talent like John Stanley perform so strongly. It should prove to management the benefits of using talent who’ve worked at their craft for years instead of giving jobs to mates.

5 Likes

Quite interesting to see Nova going up significantly in all the under 40 demographics after moving away from so many throwbacks. Although they did lose listeners in the 40+ demographics.

2 Likes

yeah 2UE is playing a lot more 60s music since 2CH’s exit. The original format was 70s, 80s , 90s. Now the playlist is dominated by 60s and early 70s. They hardly play a 90s track.

5 Likes

9Radio would be cheering with 2UE’s performance.

They’re watching history repeat itself with the guys over at 1170AM. SEN Sydney will never achieve more than 1-2%.

7 Likes

Most of Sydney’s FM stations fell this survey so I’d guess that many if not all of those listeners went to the talkback stations, especially with the Summer COVID outbreaks (Northern Beaches, Berala) still making news during the first half of the survey period.

Seems like Sydney is starting to forget that 2CH still exists with the station formerly on 1170AM now 5th in the DAB+ ratings behind Double J/Edge Digital, ABC Jazz and KIIS 90s.

SEN Track would’ve been asterisks across the board had a few in the 10-17 demographic not ticked the station in their books by mistake (What other explanation can there be for that result?), while SEN Victoria didn’t fare much better.

Yep, I agree. SEN 1170 might receive a slight ratings increase once the NRL season kicks off, but overall I’d probably still expect Sydney to stick with the calls on 2GB, the ABC and Triple M.

2 Likes

:flushed: My thoughts before the ratings were totally wrong in the Perth market …I was not expecting those results with 96FM, Mix 94.5 and Nova.

2 Likes

I’ll be honest, I am just here to read the comments on SEN1170.

6 Likes

Just realised that 1170 is both the frequency and cumulative audience.

2 Likes

Looking at the breakfast radio ratings for Sydney, I’ve noticed that Jonesy & Amanda on WS is now 2nd last on among commercial FM stations, rating only 5.7%. Whilst KIIS’s Kyle & Jackie O are #1 FM at 9.8%, Smooth 95.3’s More Music Breakfast Show with Bogart Torelli & Glenn Daniel is #2 FM at 7.3%.

Of the Pure Gold stations, WS is underperforming at 6.6% compared to its sister stations in Melbourne (Gold 104.3 with 11%), Brisbane (4KQ with 9%) & Adelaide (Cruise with 10.8%), the last two of which broadcasts on AM.

6 Likes

How did other FMs rate in Brisbane

1 Like

Yes they’ll be happy with all three - 2UE, Magic and 4BH.

The decision to go back to music definitely vindicated.

4 Likes

One wonders if ARN are thinking about bringing in a new WSFM breakfast show after the current contract for Jonesy & Amanda expires next year? Because they’ve been behind Bogart & Glenn on Smooth for a few surveys now.

2 Likes