Matches, Hatches, Dispatches

It was also oddly buried deep in the 3AW radio bulletins at midday and 1pm this afternoon too, as the news broke

2 Likes

It lead in Sydney’s bulletins at Midday and 1pm.

2 Likes

What was the context of this?

On ABC or Seven?

Seven as it isn’t 7pm yet there so can’t be ABC.

3 Likes

3AW Sunday Morning program mentioned it around 10.40am with Heidi Murphy reading out the breaking news surrounding his death.

2 Likes

Was it really that early!? Even Age/SMH article has “first published” at close to midday.

1 Like

Final social media post.

2 Likes

Yes, however she was reading it from a TMZ online breaking news article.

2 Likes

That’s also interesting, Heidi would both happen to be aware of and just happen to be checking out TMZ (although more likely a producer noticed TMZ being re-reported in feeds and passed onto her via PC/ear piece/window tap for her to read out).

1 Like

Second story in Sydney and prominent in Brisbane

Less prominent on Seven, after the first ad break in Brisbane.

4 Likes

Probably could’ve put this in the tennis thread, but given all the posts are here, a nice touch from the US Open (the only major tennis account to post a tribute, bar multiple news articles on Matthew Perry’s love for the sport and growing up playing, becoming a junior star): :broken_heart: :tennis:

https://twitter.com/usopen/status/1718716422128357683?s=19

3 Likes

Very true. I grew up with Friends and I have a friend who is 12 years younger than me who discovered Friends through reruns. After hearing of Matthew’s passing she called me and said she and her two teenage daughters were all in tears. The 16 and 18 year olds are avid fans, so yes, the show is definitely multigenerational.

3 Likes
4 Likes

In sad news, former 7 News presenter Bill McDonald’s wife and mother to their 4 boys passed away early this morning after a battle with cancer.

6 Likes

Federal Attorney-General Mark Dreyfus’s wife of 44 years, Deborah, has died after a very long battle with cancer, Prime Minister Anthony Albanese revealed this morning.

https://www.news.com.au/national/politics/prime-minister-confirms-attorneygeneral-mark-dreyfus-wife-deborah-has-passed-away/news-story/dcdf15d2b18ccbf565d9cb16222d45ac

2 Likes

I really hate using this word publicly so language warning but #fuckcancer

It’s the only thing that can be said. Takes so many decent people.

7 Likes
1 Like

9Go! running Fools Rush In tonight (licenced by Sony), his first mainstream film in the late 90s alongside Salma Hayek (who’d become a star after Desperado a couple of years before - also Antonio Banderas’ breakout), as Seinfeld was ending and Friends started growing rapidly. Arguably his second best/favourite feature to The Whole Nine Years.

1 Like

TVNZ (or 2, can’t remember which one) ran The Whole Nine Yards last night but the ad for it was a bit weird, like it was all happy and the ad they’d have been playing for it at any time. I probably would have expected a bit of a different VO for it or tone if they were scheduling it after Perry’s passing.

2 Likes

Seven AFL presenter Abbey Holmes tied the knot with former Hawthorn player Keegan Brooksby at Uluru yesterday.

UPDATE

4 Likes