MasterChef Australia

I think Kirsten spent six weeks creating a recipe that the finalists could follow in re-creating the trio of fruit dessert.
The time constraints were for the contestants to make them in the show. Six hours already pushed Ben and Diana to the limit, so making the fourth fruit with two hours would have made them physically and mentally exhausted. Not many people would want to spend all day just to make one plate of dessert.

1 Like

Not the first time a contestant was robbed on a Channel Ten reality show

Nikki from the Bachelor last year and Shannon Noll from Australian Idol in 2003 are the two examples

1 Like

With Commonwealth Games finishing on April 15 next year, Ten could consider bringing season 10 forward so it finishes before The Voice, and to reduce the possibility its final weeks will clash with season 2 of Australian Ninja Warrior. Also, Ten should consider again showing the Sunday episode at 7pm. With a better lead-in I think MC can be competitive against The Voice and House Rules.
Other changes I would like to see for the new season are:
*switch mystery box/invention test with team challenge, with team challenge aired on Sundays, mystery box on Tuesday, immunity challenge on Wednesday and elimination on Monday and Thursday
*top 20 instead of top 24, and no second chance for eliminated contestants
*invite past contestants to set ingredients for myster box, invention test, pressure test and all eliminations, and participate in immunity challenge, team challenge and MasterClass
*less extravagant dishes for pressure tests. Leave them for the top 10 contestants
*a ā€œNorthern Australia Weekā€ with contestants cooking in challenges held in regions like Darwin, North Queensland, Queensland Outback, Sunshine Coast and Brisbane, finishing with a MasterClass at the Gold Coast or Sunshine Coast Hinterland
*a limit on the number of particular dish each contestant can cook during individual challenges each season, to prevent a repeat of this season when Ben made ice-cream in consecutive weeks plus two ice cream dishes in the grand final. Any contestant found exceeding the limit will go straight into elimination, regardless how tasty the dish is. This is similar to The Amazing Race in which each contestant can do a maximum number of ā€œroadblockā€ task (A roadblock is a task that only one team member may perform).
What would you do to make the show better next year?

2 Likes

I like the idea of the team challenge being the weekā€™s longest episode. Whether itā€™s Sunday or Wednesday, itā€™s the best episode of the week and should be 90 minutes. The Mystery Box/Invention Test drags.

That would shorten the series. Not a good idea. Iā€™d rather have a top 32 than a top 20. Top 24 is about right.

I think the ending we saw was intended at the time to be the one they discarded, hence Matt didnā€™t make much of an effort giving a plausible reason for his 9. He didnā€™t think it would be used, but now heā€™s stuck with it and has to cop all the criticism.

So will the other networks be running dead during the Comm Games (like with the Rio Olympics last year)?

Although Ten did run The Bachelor.

Also, Seven had solid programming against it back in 2006.

1 Like

I reckon Nine may continue to show Married at First Sight during Commonwealth Games but could throw in some Ninja Warrior specials.

Poor Diana. She told Bauerā€™s Now to Love website that the day after she filmed the winner announcement she physically collapsed and was ill for two weeks. The pressure test took more than eight hours to film (including six hours of cooking).
Matt Preston will be holding cooking demonstrations at the History Con at Serdang, Selangor from August 4 to 6, just in time for the final weeks of this season to air locally on cable channel Lifetime.

It seemed they had 5 hours of cooking left at one point when Gary alerted them, and it was already dark outside. I wonder what time the challenge started.

Oh come on - the Winner Announced peak was down 572,000 viewers on last season. The Grand Finale itself down 599,000 viewers. With such a large shedding of viewers, who obviously didnā€™t like what they saw this season (and yes, had been there for Season 8, so itā€™s not as if it was a new programme last season eitherā€¦), just imagine how many also didnā€™t like what they saw but tuned in out of habit. Or wonā€™t sample it next year.

I donā€™t know why we need to put our blinkers on and pretend everything is hunky dory - the TREND is clear, and trends are what most informed people look at.

The finale was filmed in mid May when sun began to set early in Melbourne, so the cooking could have started at 5pm and finished at 11pm. However, I remember during a past grand final at Melbourne Showgrounds, the crew covered the front windows and doors of MC kitchen with black tarpaulin to pretend it was dark outside during the pressure test, when it was still mid afternoon with bright sunshine.

In fact both endings were shown last night. While it was official Diana won the title, the scorecard displayed just before Diana was presented with the trophy, showed Ben beating Diana by one point.
Ten said in a statement today that

An editing error during production meant two versions of the final score went to air last night. The episode is being amended and the correct version will appear on Tenplay and in future on-air broadcasts.

I didnā€™t pick up the difference in their scores until I re-watched the segment on another website, while the wrong scorecard has been omitted from the video on tenplay. I hope the error will be fixed for overseas broadcasts (the show is still on air in NZ and South East Asia, with India and UK still to come).

Someone captured it.

https://twitter.com/jhenshaw23/status/889473222579675137

2 Likes

idk if youā€™re being full srs or itā€™s just a gud kidding.

I thought I saw the error, but passed it off as wishful thinking :confused:

Incidentally - in regards to the final challenge - is ā€œmandarinā€ how this fruit is pronounced on the east coast? I always assumed Mandarin was an Asian language and ā€œmandarineā€ a fruitā€¦

ā€˜mandarinā€™ seems to be the most common spelling for the fruit and the preferred spelling by dictionaries, with pronunciation to match.

1 Like

Hmm yes just had a look at the OED, lists it under ā€œmandarinā€ but ā€œmandarineā€ as an alternative, with the history ā€œLate 18th century: from French mandarineā€. So someone, at some point, has confused it with another wordā€¦

Iā€™ve heard both pronunciations about 50/50 here in Queensland. Mandarin for the people, mandarine for the fruit, yeah?

I would have thought that mandarin (citrus fruit) is the more common pronunciation and spelling in Australia. It matches the trend towards using -in instead of -ine with gelatin (e), saccharine (e) lanolin (e) and glycerin (e). Tangerine is against the trend though and make sure not to confuse heroin and heroine :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is a stuff-up.

Perhaps next year contestants can run their dish through an obstacle course for a chance to get tasted by the judges. And in the final, the time limit could be so short that neither cook finishes and there is no MasterChef crowned for 2018. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

The MasterChef kitchen will again be open during this monthā€™s Royal Melbourne Show as Winning Taste pavilion with cooking demonstrations and pop-up restaurants.

SMH reports George Calombaris will be sentenced on October 20 after he pleaded guilty to assaulting a teenage fan at the A-Leage soccer grand final in Sydney in May. If he gets a prison sentence this will affect filming of season 10. Even if he receives a community service order it could affect future overseas episodes.

2 Likes

The judge has asked for a pre-sentence report for Calombaris, which would indicate an intensive corrections order is the likely outcome. ICO orders can include an alcohol ban, which if imposed would affect his MasterChef judging as some dishes contain alcohol. Of course if Calombaris has to serve an ICO in NSW that would be a major obstacle to him appearing on MasterChef.

1 Like