MasterChef Australia

Yes two results were filmed.

Diana smashed that service challenge while Ben and Karlie struggled and panicked, and it was nice to see the judges recognize her superior dishes and performance. She’s been fantastic and calm and poised all season and deserves to win, but it’s been Ben, Ben, Ben for the last week or two. He has the story and they want him to win, so Diana has to shut him out tonight.

Surprise surprise Ben is doing another ice cream.

I’m pretty sure every cook since the start of finals week has featured an ice cream. Embarassing.

Surely Diana will win.

3 Likes

And ANOTHER ice cream in round 2. For real?? :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

During tonight’s episode of Have You Been Paying Attention, Tom Gleisner said something like “if you are watching this after MasterChef, congratulations (winner’s name)” before asking the comedians a question about this year’s prize. Since the show was taped yesterday, did Tom know the winner beforehand?

Or maybe did two versions. HYBPA is heavily edited.

7 Likes

Ha, can’t believe Diana won after Ben’s fruits were CLEARLY more impressive - what a joke. So obvious they played whichever ending they liked there - and I’m betting without the negative publicity Ben had attracted with the drink driving charge, it would have been his.

Reminds me a little of Adam Liaw winning with his cracked snow egg compared with Callum’s far superior dish.

However, even considering that, I hated the sight of Ben on TV - the neck tatt, the frantic on-edge running around, the general appearance of a Gold Coast gym junkie - and the fact he was cooking ice creams every time was ridiculous. So I’m happy Diana won overall even though she was treated as a non-entity throughout.

Let’s remember next year to look out for the “Elena edit” - whoever pops up half way through the series, having not seen them before, is generally in the final/wins.

2 Likes

I couldn’t stay awake last night to watch the Grand final,I’ll watch it tonight.Congratulations to Diana,I’m happy that she won.

At the end of the day though Ben did not deserve 9s and 10s in the first 2 rounds, especially for doing ice cream again. There should have been a point in this competition where he was penalised for that (lack of inventiveness) or producers stepped in to ask him to think up something else. I just don’t understand how he got away with doing 7 or 8 cooks in a row doing ice cream and still getting constant praise. Ice Cream and crumb AGAIN is not a finale worthy dish. Diana should have been way more ahead after the first 2 rounds.

Great result anyway. A consistent cook who barely cracked under the pressure won and deservedly so.

3 Likes

True, totally agree.

Ben’s fruit was definitely better when it came to appearances but the judges said Diana had nailed the flavours. I am pleased Ben didn’t win. Making 4 ice creams throughout the series, then two in the final showed a lack of creativity. His second round dish last night was basically a replica of his dish the night before. In comparison to 2015 and 2016 there weren’t too many ‘wow’ moments this year when it came to creativity and innovations.

4 Likes

I’m glad Diana won. For her performance over the whole competition she deserved it, but the judging of the final dish was pretty dodgy. I thought for sure Ben would get at least 1 point more from each judge, giving him the win. How lame of Matt to justify a 9 for Diana, the same as he gave Ben, saying that two of the fruits ate well. Even so, Ben deserved to lose points for twice getting help reading the recipe correctly.

I am so sick of Ben saying he’s drowning or won’t get finished etc. etc. every single cook. The VTs this season, from Ben and Sarah in particular, really detracted from the show. The confected drama is too much.

3 Likes

Diana is the second Malaysian Chinese to win the title after Adam Liaw in 2010.
The perfect score Diana received in the first round came to be the main difference between her and Ben, as the latter won the next two rounds. Diana was more creative in the mystery box round and free cook and nailed the flavours, while Ben was impressive with the presentation in the second and third rounds. But where was his creativity when he made two ice creams in a row?
Both contestants failed to include the liqueur centre in the pressure test, goes to show how complex that “trio of fruits” is.
I also notice that only winners of the past 4 years (Emma Dean, Brent Owens, Billie McKay, Elena Duggan) and last year’s runner up Matt Sinclair attended the winner announcement.

1 Like

It was a thrilling finale, I enjoyed it more than last year’s, mainly because of the climactic final challenge.

Diana was impressive & had been for much of the season, I also had been wanting her to do well more than Ben.

Whilst Ben did really well in recovering last night & doing better in the final challange, he was let down earlier in the finale.

Also… Flavours ALWAYS win :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Yeah just a pity it’s something that can never be confirmed by the viewer!

1 Like

Some quotes from Ten chief content officer Beverley McGarvey from this morning’s press release:

As it heads for its 10th season next year – a remarkable achievement for any television series – MasterChef Australia remains a powerhouse across all screens and one of the most loved and successful family television shows in the country.
Last night’s conclusion was gripping television and the perfect end to what has been an amazing season. Congratulations to both Diana and Ben for their extraordinary cooking and for everything they achieved this year.
MasterChef Australia was the first reality cooking show on Australian television and it remains the best. The 2017 season produced some unforgettable moments, from the dazzling food presented in the judges’ auditions, to Yotam Ottolenghi Week, Japan Week and – of course – last night’s stunning episode.
We have some very special things planned for season 10 next year and we cannot wait to bring it to all Australians.

The press release also mentions that the 9th season has an average 5 city audience of 930,000 viewers and was No.1 in 25-54 demographics. The MasterChef website on Tenplay had 25.3 million video segment views – up 12% on last year – and 7.4 million video views, up 10%. MasterChef was also popular on social media, with 1.55 million Facebook likes, 220,000 Instagram followers and 14.4 million total impressions on Twitter.

According to the Taste liftout in today’s Herald Sun, Kirsten Tibballs worked over six weeks to create the trio of fruits dessert for last night’s finale. She said she started with four fruits but had to reduce to it to three due to time constraints. Kirsten will serve it at the dessert degustation pop up at The Press Club restaurant in Melbourne CBD this Thursday (July 27) and the next. Also check out the video at Savour School on how to make the dessert at home.

It’s certainly not all doom and gloom for this season of MasterChef. Looking at results in the key demos, the show was regularly more popular than House Rules, The Voice and even True Story with Hamish and Andy.

Check recent results for example - every episode of MasterChef in week 27 outrated The Voice grand final in 16-39, with 3 episodes outrating the winner’s announcement.

7 Likes

She had six weeks yet couldn’t finish, so how long did the contestants have to make it? I’m guessing not six weeks.

Probably the most crucial / key points :+1:

It doesn’t say whether the time constraints were her own in creating the fruits or in the show for the contestants to make them. They barely made three in six hours, so four would have taken 7-8 hours.

I wonder if the fourth one was going to be the banana that George joked about.

1 Like