MasterChef Australia

Great episode last night. It was always hard to create two identical plates of the same dish when both members were separated by a divider, thus communications, quantity, cooking time and presentation were crucial. Sarah and Tamara won the challenge in a split decision (I reckon the prize they won was to travel on business class on their way to Tokyo). Callan overcooked his scallops by a mere few more seconds but it was enough to send him and Eloise to elimination. The difference in amount of praline on Diana and Sam’s cheesecake dish also saw them facing the chop.

1 Like

I’m A Celebrity and Survivor rate lower and cost more to produce.

1 Like

I wasnt talking about those shows…

No you weren’t, however, you did state:

Which lead to my response that I’m A Celebrity and Survivor are more expensive to produce and don’t rate as well. Therefore, they would be the logical choices to axe before Masterchef.

2 Likes

MasterChef has been appearing in the top 10 shows in each of the advertiser-friendly demographic groups every week it has been shown this year. No network is going to get rid of a show like that. In addition it is programming that attracts high quality sponsors and advertisers as there is a natural synergy with big supermarkets, home appliance sellers and manufacturers.

You just have to look at the commercials shown during the show or the credits - no Funeral Homes or Pensioner Insurance here.

2 Likes

You’re not buying into a shit back catalogue of shows you’re buying the premium dramas and comedies they produce (The Crown, Stranger Things, Orange is the New Black, House of Cards, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt the list goes on…) the back catalogue is just a bonus.

Plus the greatest comedy of all time, Arrested Development.

Perhaps if Netflix had The Apprentice?

1 Like

Viewers responded accordingly as well, over 900k, usually never beats the Tuesday ‘immunity’ :+1:

Who ever is eliminated tonight missed out on the trip to Japan

1 Like

Well that’s assuming there is a network to begin with… :smile:

Hmm yeah big pass on paying for those…

Very funny. I’ve only ever watched the first season or two of the American version, have watched all the UK seasons though.

I like Sam ,sad to see him eliminated tonight but his dish that he cooked looked like a dog’s breakfast . I thought Callum would be going.Diana’s decision to wait until the fourth pantry was revealed by the judges paid off for her even though she only had 30 minutes to cook

It was a brave move by Diana to wait until the fourth pantry to start cooking, but she created a great red emperor with sambal dish in quick time. But surely Diana would have been able to get the smell of the seafood even though it was covered under the big cloth?
Both Sam and Callan made bad desserts, Callan barely survived the elimination thanks to his excellent plating. Eloise was under unpredecented pressure during her cook but she made a tasty basil ice cream sandwich.

2 Likes

A very tense elimination, sorry to see the young guys plate up poorly.

My favourite contestant was elminated :cry: Sam.

Damn

2 Likes

Japan Week Starts Sunday At 7.30pm.

MasterChef Australia is about to get even bigger as the competition shifts to the land of the cherry blossom – Japan – for an exciting week of episodes.

The top nine contestants will be inspired to dream big as they cook their way through a series of challenges and embrace the food culture of Tokyo and regional Japan, thanks to Qantas and the Japan National Tourism Organisation.

Sunday night’s mystery box challenge sees the contestants explore the hustle and bustle of downtown Tokyo, for fresh produce and local ingredients, to create an amazing dish. Then on Monday, the contestants must make an eight-course menu for the judges and some of Tokyo’s top foodies in a Kappo (degustation-style) restaurant.

In a game-changing episode on Tuesday night, the judges welcome the contestants to the Obuchi Tea Plantation, with the majestic Mount Fuji in the distance. By the end of the day’s challenge, the contestant with the most impressive dish will be awarded an immunity pin.

Tokyo comes alive in the neon and bright lights of Shinjuku on Wednesday night when the contestants take over the local Yokocho, an alleyway packed with street stalls. In teams of three, they will take over three stalls and feed hundreds of diners.

Thursday night sees one contestant leave the competition after an elimination challenge inspired by the past and the future at the historic Akagi Shrine in the heart of Tokyo. Japan Week wraps with a very special MasterClass on the hilltop of Tateyama Castle with Michelin star and third-generation sushi chef, Kagehisa Imada.

In what promises to be a once-in-a-lifetime culinary experience, Japan Week will delight and amaze, showcasing the best of Japan’s fresh produce, innovative local chefs and cooking trends.

2 Likes

So I think we are down to just 3 guys left now? I would also say that Ben is the only of the guys left who has any shot at winning this so wouldn’t be surprised if Arum and Callan both go before finals.

I am looking forward to Japan week. I’m def a bigger fan of them going to places like that which have a big cultural difference than places like America last season which was food and locations that most viewers are more familiar with.

3 Likes

Sam is a natural - wouldn’t be surprised if he ends up with a TV spot.

3 Likes

###MasterChef Australia in Japan

Follow Masterchef Australia judges Gary Mehigan, Matt Preston and George Calombaris, and contestants as they journey to Japan for the first time! Sponsored by Japan National Tourism Organization (JNTO), Japan Week 2017 will feature episodes filmed at some of the best foodie destinations Japan has to offer.
Against the backdrop of vibrant cities and stunning natural landscapes, and with the guidance of prominent international and Japanese chefs, contestants will be inspired to push the boundaries of their creativity.

More detailed descriptions of locations mentioned in Ten’s press release above (and tips of what to eat there) can be found at JNTO website.

That’s what they’re all picked for these days - their ability to present and narrate. None of them are there for their cooking skills.