MasterChef Australia

I’m glad she seems to have fixed that awful haircut since leaving.

I reckon sometimes contestants don’t put in effort during Mystery Boxes.

Knowing there’s no penalty for performing bad in that challange.

And let’s be honest, the winner’s advantage for the Invention Test isn’t always an advantage.

2 Likes

If I were on Masterchef I would purposely perform badly during the Mystery Box Challenge. I would hate the responsibility of picking the ingredient. They should have a punishment for the worst three dishes.

1 Like

In the same scenario, I’d also perform ordinary, just to get my head in the game/take it easy (being start of the week and all).

It’s the least important challenge of the week and always has been since day dot.

My favourite Sunday ep so far this season :grinning:

Yotam Ottolenghi was fantastic, a measured judge and wise tips, also fair.

Karlie the best and daylight second (both challenges, okay, the advantage DID work tonight) but Eloise the worst (served up raw pork)!

Looks like an exciting Pressure Test, 5 dishes.

Also, in contrast to my earlier conment, the Invention Test is probably the most important challenge of the week.

You could make Immunity… You could make the Pressure Test… Nowhere to hide, everyone is tasted.

2 Likes

Karlie joins the small list of MasterChef contestants who have won mystery box and reached the top three of invention test.
Ray’s biggest mistake was not cutting down the size of his steak before filling the stuffing.
Eloise was unlucky to be in the bottom three. If she had time, she could have replaced the raw stuffing out of the second batch of tomatoes with the cooked stuffing from the first batch of tomatoes during plating. It would have saved her dish.
Agree with you Luke on Yotam Ottolenghi.

1 Like

And that’s only because the advantage was the pro helping her. Were they really going to say a dish that the pro had a hand in making wasn’t top 3 quality? lol

I’m surprised both Pete and Ray have lasted this long,maybe one of them is eliminated tonight

I can’t believe Ray has survived so many eliminations. And he probably will tonight considering the way George zoned in on Pete to ask him what was wrong, like some kind of psychiatrist.

Ray is honestly one of the most stupid contestants they’ve had on this programme, in my opinion.

I wish they could eliminate both Pete and Ray tonight. They are both awful. It annoyed me during the elimination last week how Pete cooked the most basic dish that anyone could do (steak with an egg on top) and got so much praise for it. That was kind of embarrassing.

3 Likes

In Sweet Week two weeks ago, Pete won mystery box and got 30 minute assistance from Janice Wong for the invention test, but he did not make the top three.

1 Like

Whatever his name is an international guest around which a whole week has been built, and who we have the contestants screaming for. And we have onscreen logos promoting him too.

Ray, Pete and Eloise were only given one hour to re-create five meze dishes created by Yotam Ottolenghi. They all looked flustered and had to rush through cooking which affected the look and taste of some of their dishes. Pete was sent home because of his overcooked kofta and poor plating. They should have been allowed at least 90 minutes.

Not surprised to see Pete go,his plating up was messy,a big no no for the judges. I think the producers wanted to play on his typical ‘Aussie Bloke’ image,one who works as a tradie/labourer and wears hi-viz work shirts

Yeah, which was as obvious and pathetic as X-Factor going crazy for Big T. Urgh.

1 Like

Why did the program not reveal the guest chef during the preview of last night’s immunity challenge? It was only after Karlie won the first round, that Matt Preston revealed she would cook against Blayne Bertoncello, who with his younger brothers Chayse and Tyson, opened O.My restaurant in Beaconsfield in Melbourne’s outer south east a few years ago. Even though both Karlie and Blayne had only 25 ingredients (used in Yotam’s pastilla, incorrectly labelled meat pie by Ten’s promo department) including just two vegetables, Blayne showcased tomato and spinach magnificently and beat Karlie hands down.
If Blayne was not well known before last night, he is famous now, because after the episode ended there was a surge in interest in the restaurant. It tweeted:

After Masterchef tonight, our website is struggling with traffic volume. If you see an error, please be patient and try again soon.

1 Like

Good Vegetarian episode. Should do more like this.

I agree. I’m not exactly a vegetarian but I don’t eat meat very often.There were some yummy looking dishes from both teams

I notice that the vegetarian challenge was filmed at the car park right next to East Richmond railway station, behind Bertie’s butchery at Swan Street, Richmond. It’s close to a busy railway line, so people who travelled to and from eastern suburbs by train in late January or early February would have easily noticed the white marquees surrounded by white sheets and rental trucks.

It was another great challenge. The green team was doing so well during the two hour preparation until it struck trouble with flatbread. It had to resort to pan frying flatbread which led to several pieces unevenly cooked. Callan, being the blue team captain, showed some inexperience in leadership as he directed team members for the first time. But his last minute decision to add dips and fried sweet potato crisps paid off, helping his team to win the challenge.

Actually, he showed great experience in leading calmly - it’s just that producers don’t want vision of people silently chopping carrots to compile their TV show - everything has to be frantic shrieking.

George’s behaviour today towards Callan was bullying.

3 Likes

You have your colours mixed up. Callan was captain of the Blue team. The Green team is in tonight’s elimination.