MasterChef Australia

This season of MasterChef may have seen the last snow egg as Quay chef Peter Gilmore has retired it and everything else on the menu. Owner Leon Fink has funded a multi-million dollar refurbishment and Gilmore has created a new menu which will premiere when Quay reopens on Thursday. I’m guessing there will be a new challenge on the next season of MasterChef.

They did say on the show that it would be the last time the snow egg featured because Peter Gilmore won’t be making it again and will be developing an entirely new menu.

3 Likes

Kristen won a trip to London for lunch with Nigella Lawson.

2 Likes

The end caption after Kristen’s elimination did say she travelled to London to meet Nigella. I guess the trip was taken after the grand final in late May, but there was no photos until now.

Former contestant Ben Milbourne is expanding his enterprises again. He has a restaurant opening soon in one of the new buildings in Devonport and this week will also take over the Devonport Uniting Church site which is a fairly prominent building in the city which had been expected to be knocked down but will now just live on in a different form. The final church service is today and settlement this week.

In the past nine seasons, the finals week was shown across a single week. However, this year the finals week will stretch into the following Sunday, so the grand final will be shown on Tuesday, July 31, presumably against the grand final of Australian Ninja Warrior. Does it mean though there will be no reunion of this season’s contestants? We will have to wait and see.
And an update on my post on May 19:

Turns out they were filming a cooking challenge during finals week. That episode will be shown on Wednesday, July 25.

Oh its choose any of the ingredients. my bad, not paying attention lol

Samira was unlucky during the invention test tonight. Her dish had no faults but she was in the bottom 3 alongside Jess and Ben, because Khanh and Reece impressed the judges with their dishes while Chloe used her superpower apron so the judges did not taste her ravioli dish.

Huh? They stopped doing the full finals weeks (where someone goes every night) years ago. For at least 2-3 years they’ve been doing it this way… probably longer. We’ve had many Tues or Wed Grand finals as a result. What they call finals week these days is pretty much just any normal week where we will see a couple of people go home. Then like they have done before I presume Sunday will be a cook to determine grand finalist #1, Monday will be a cook to determine Grand finalist #2. Followed by the finale on Tuesday.

I was annoyed last night with how things panned out. The judges only had positives to say about Samira’s dish but she is up for elimination. I think in some scenarios such as when a contestant uses an immunity pin / advantage the judges should consider only having 2 people go into a pressure test if there isn’t a clear third person in the bottom. There were only 2 bad dishes in that cook last night so I don’t see why it can’t just be those two cooking off. To be honest they raved on about Reece’s dish but I can’t see how technically it was any better than Samira’s (which barely got shown in the editing I reckon to justify the judges decision).

2 Likes

According to an interview with Peter Gilmore in the July issue of Qantas inflight magazine, he invented the snow egg in 2008. So the dessert would be ten years old before it was retired from the menu.

Well Ben is clearly the judges favourite this season. How can someone scrape through so many eliminations? They made out like it was clear cut that Samira had to go but they both had 2 elements that didnt work and at least Samira had them all on the plate. Samira never even deserved to be up for elimination in the first place given the judges only praised her dish on Sunday.

I’m increasingly losing interest in this season. Pretty much everyone that I liked has gone now.

1 Like

Yep. Ben, Chloe and Reece are definitely their favourites. How many times has Chloe improvised and got through and then Ben did it last night. At least Samira made the proper elements.

Samira just wasn’t a big enough of a personality to go through to finals week unfortunately and didnt’ have much of a story. She was a quiet achiever but for me the most likeable person there.

I find there are just so many hit and miss contestants this season, namely Jess, Ben, Chloe and Khanh (although Khanh has imporved a lot). Reece and Sashi probably deserve to be the top 2 out of the remaining as they have been the most consistant but I’m not a big fan of either of them to be honest. It just annoys me some of the people that are left when we’ve lost really strong cooks like Hoda, Sarah and Samira just to name a few.

But she’s from Azerbaijan… I think?

Kahn is friends with Neighbours actors, so…

Well he was a pretty in demand DJ on the Melbourne club scene prior to Masterchef which is probably how he knows them. He used to regularly play at some of Melb’s high end clubs like Bond, Club 23, The Emerson etc,

I don’t understand why this week is called finals week but isn’t the show finishing on July 30th?

Finals week is actually next week.

2 Likes

I just learned TVNZ One had just started showing MasterChef on Wednesday nights as well, so it is on three nights a week now (Wednesday-Friday). They are now up to Nigella Lawson week.

Nobody ever referred to this week as finals week. They have only said that certain people could be fast tracked to finals week if they won certain challenges. Finals week is next week.

Well with Reece going last night I would say that Sashi would have to be the clear front runner to win this competition. I’m not sure how Ben is still there to be honest and Chloe has been quite hit and miss. Jess seems to be the underdog who keeps on giving so it wouldn’t surprise me if she’s up there with Sashi in the final two. Otherwise Khanh seems to have become a contender as well right at the pointy end of this competition. I noticed he was back to DJing last night at Fabrique nightclub so not sure if that’s an indication that he doesn’t win.

1 Like

Such a shame Reece went, IMO he was one of the best cooks left. How Ben and Chloe are still there is a mystery to me. Khanh is now my favourite to win. I like Jess but she specializes too much in desserts and seems to “panic” when she has to cook savoury dishes.