MasterChef Australia

I have to say Nine has scheduled Australian Ninja Warrior perfectly, it prevents MasterChef from building its ratings momentum for finals week, when traditionally more viewers tune in to see who would make it to the grand final. Looks like we could be looking at the lowest finals week ratings since season 5 in 2013.

Good example was last night when she overcook the honeycomb so it tasted bitter, but she did not redo it. Later, she broke two egg yolks during prep time before succeeding with the third, and did not have much time left to construct the dish.

[quote=“Chris, post:1316, topic:366”]
Sarah is starting to really annoying me. I just don’t like her. To me she seems quite arrogant and over confident yet I have a feeling she might win this.[/quote]

She’s really grating on me too, especially her VTs. Her immunity pin win was telegraphed just from the way she was talking in them. She’s become one of the most annoying contestants ever. I am also getting worried that she will take out the prize.

(P.S. I’m assuming she’s still there after Sunday & Monday, which I’m not up with yet.)

1 Like

Ben dodged a bullet this time,he was lucky not to be eliminated . I like Sarah ,hope she wins,Karlie or Diana in top 3 as well

It looks like Heston is going be back next wednesday (19th of July). The Top 4 are doing a service challange at Dinner at Heston according to the network ten schedule on foxtel website

2 Likes

I don’t think Heston himself would be present at the service challenge, it could be his lieutenant or just the head chef of Dinner by Heston.

As posted on this site

Except all that technicality went into creating something utterly stupid. You can’t be technical just for the sake of it.

Was tonight’s immunity challenge rigged? Arum beat chef Federico Zanellato from Sydney’s LuMi Dining 26-24 to reach finals week and skip tomorrow’s service challenge, but I felt the judges and the producers wanted to give it away. Arum was allowed to pick the first 10 ingredients from an already limited pantry, leaving Federico the other 10 to create a dish. The judges would have been embarrassed had Federico won, because it would have meant all seven contestants would be involved in the service challenge. Who would have had to sit out and therefore face elimination?

Yeah. It feels like Gary favours him because he’s also British born. His antics while Arum was cooking the soufflé indicated that they were always planning on awarding him the win.

I thought the exact same thing. Arum’s dish still wasn’t worthy of winning. His meat was undercooked and their was blood all over the plate. Gross.

1 Like

Oh yes, forgot to mention how he performed once actually up against the pro - that the bloody puree won out, was just ridiculous.

Favouritism is usually par for the course for MC. What I love to watch though is how easily they toss their favourites aside for new favourites. Matt’s probably the worst.

Georgia two years ago was everyone’s favourite until towards the end when Gary started to get a little bitchy towards her.

Theresa last year always got a cold reception until she came back and they were fawning over her.

This year we’ve had Ben the wonder chef towards the end replacing the favourite Sam. They veered wildly on how much they liked Callan usually on an episode to episode basis. Tamara is another that fell out of favour.

1 Like

How many favourites can there be :slight_smile:

I think it is just editing; we only get to see a tiny fraction of the interaction between the judges and contestants and even in challenges where every dish is tasted and commented on, there isn’t time to hear all the comments.

2 Likes

Quite a few because they are often fickle.

No, you can always pick the editors favourites because the contestants give them great sound bites or expressions. The judges favourites are something else.

Billie, rightly so, was a clear judges favourite. Editing not so much because she was so monotonous.

Sarah is another favourite this year with her myriad of pork dishes. You just have to pay attention to what the judges say and how they behave. If they like someone they sort of go out of their way to praise the dish even if it sucks or gently offer some hints.

1 Like

Agree.

Just a thought if they are supposedly constantly changing their favourites… maybe it’s because those new favourites are starting to cook better dishes than some of the others? :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Harriet, so so true. You’re absolutely spot on. Very perceptive!

What you say about editor’s favourites and judge’s favourites is true.

As many as are needed to construct an entire stripped reality format around their narrations (ie how good those narrations are…)

What a tough service challenge tonight under the guidance of English chef Clare Smyth (her own restaurant Core will open in London this month). Ben and Diana were the only two contestants who excelled n the challenge. Tamara and Karlie struggled throughout the prep and never recovered. And what was Sarah thinking when she added fennel to her dessert dish? If she decided to compete in Thursday’s elimination, and her dish was tasty, she would still be the first ever contestant to take the immunity pin into finals week.

I normally love Masterchef. Maybe not as much as some on this forum. But I found it difficult to engage in this series. I tried a number of times but I didn’t think it had the same appeal. How have otherd felt?

1 Like

I guess it would be difficult in terms of logistics, but she would make a great replacement for Gary or George on the judging panel.