MasterChef Australia

Tonight’s episode was so unfair - Tamara and Karlie given ingredients (the marron and the duck) which took a massive amount of effort to prepare and cook while others were given things like mushrooms, venison, pineapple or yoghurt which barely needed preparation before cooking.

It’s as if they wanted the two girls to break down and get into hysterics… :roll_eyes:

1 Like

They pulled knives to decide who was going to cook what. All contestants had an equal chance of getting the ingredients that the two girls got.

To be honest, I fast forward until they start cooking…:joy:

If that was the case, two ingredients were wildly more difficult than the others - not a level playing field. (I guess the knife pull was as fair as Arum pulling beef wellington too…)

It’s become formulaic and the production of the show drains any personality, spontaneity and fun out of the show. Everything is tightly scripted and edited, which can be a good thing, but it’s led to Masterchef having a complete lack of any energy or personality. After so many seasons I’d expect the show to be taking more risks but each season is the same.

I’ve tried a couple of times. I enjoyed Japan week, but beyond that I can’t stay interested.

Well obviously Sarah is going to use her pin tonight. Hopefully Eliza goes. I don’t care for her at all.

I agree to a point. Whoever gets the mains are generally at a big disadvantage as it is much more difficult breaking down large portions of proteins and cook them evenly than it is to roast a few mushrooms in the oven in an entrée. Although their favourite Sarah got a dessert and she hates desserts and one of the mains was the top 2 dishes.

On that note why does Sarah keep cooking savoury desserts? Just because she doesn’t eat many desserts doesn’t mean that it’s right to send out savoury dishes to diners who are expecting something sweet. In a service challenge you are cooking for the diners and customers, not yourself.

For me it’s been pretty much on par with most other years, although last year was definitely the standout best season for a while both cooking wise and personality wise so this season was always going to struggle to match that.

Only because they needed her to use up the pin before Finals Week next week. They’re so transparent!

Her dish was terrible. It was dessert and she pretty much made an entrée. I’m pretty sure the pin can only be used up until finals anyway, so they don’t need to force her to use it.

Next week’s finals week is top 6. If Sarah competed in tonight’s challenge and survived she would have to give up the pin at the start of Sunday’s challenge.

Last night’s episode only confirmed for me more how I am looking forward to Hell’s Kitchen. The guest chef was nice enough and fine to watch but that service challenge which is usually done with Marco really lacked the passion and adrenaline feel that he brings.

If Ben had had to cook a main meal he might have struggled,luck of the draw,or ‘knife pull’.Arum and Ben are improving at the right time of the competition.Does Sarah use her pin this time?

She better use it. She cant use it past Sunday anyway.

1 Like

Gosh did they really have to read out letters? What manipulative television…

2 Likes

They do the same thing on Survivor.

1 Like

It happened on past seasons of MasterChef before. Usually each contestant read out a letter by his/her partner or relative, before the judges set out the challenge.
It took until tonight for Eliza to face her first elimination challenge (which also turned out to be her last), it has to be some sort of a record. It demonstrated her cooking quality although luck also paid a part. Again it came down to small details, the only flaw was Eliza’s trout was dry after curing, so she was eliminated.

Its just so staged. They would have seen their families over the easter break of filming. This is what I mean about this show… its not real.

1 Like

And other reality shows are? They are all staged. And I doubt they would have all flown out to see their families and then flown back. Nor would everyone’s family have been able to fly over to see them.

4 Likes

I am pretty sure they do go home to their families over Christmas and easter. Not saying other shows arent staged… its just i find this show very fake at the moment.

2 Likes

Yeah…they’re not exactly on a remote island in the South Pacific though, are they? It was ridiculous. Viewers at home aren’t imagining them being kept hostage.

So unfair Eliza had to go tonight when crappy Ben, who hasn’t cooked anything spectacular the entire season, and Tamara, who has had a shocking last month or so, are still there.

But they’re both better at narrating so they stay.

2 Likes

Ben is a good cook. I want him, Sarah and Diana to be the final three. But it will probably be the judges favourites Tamara and Karlie that will be the final two. If that is the case, expect this finale to be the lowest rated ever.

1 Like

Yes I’d bet my right arm on Tamara and Karlie being there.