MasterChef Australia

I was just thinking, both grand finals of Australian Ninja Warrior and Britain’s Got Talent are scheduled for Nine on July 25 and 26 respectively, which puts Ten in a difficult position. Show the MasterChef grand final against either Ninja Warrior or BGT and it risks having some viewers taken away. There is live NRL on Thursday July 27 as well. Sunday July 30 is available and Nine is unlikely to start the new season of The Block on that night, so it’s possible that we may see the MC finale instead.

Agree. I find her to be confident in her ability rather than cocky. Her confidence in her ability is justified as she is IMO by far the most skilled. She backed herself last night which was risky but probably a good game ploy. She’s rather similar to Matt last year who had a lot of confidence in his own ability.

It’s not so much confident in her ability, or cocky, as much as she is sooo well trained and “on point” in her narrations and what she has to say, always pointing out to us how difficult something she’s doing is…the way she’ll taste some of her food, shake her head in approval, will herself on, it’s just all so artificial.

On top of that, just the general frantic behaviour is really off-putting.

And she is always cooking something “authentic” from her “childhood” - I’ve commented many times previously how the producers love this nonsense. As if they didn’t want authentic Asian dishes being cooked in their big week in Asia.

1 Like

Haha you hit the nail on the head with almost everything that irks me about her. Not sure how many more dishes that have such an emotional connection to her childhood that Sarah could possibly whip out.

2 Likes

According to this schedule, finals week begins next Sunday (July 16) and finishes on Friday with a reunion of top 24 contestants and a Masterclass with Curtis Stone returning. In between, three contestants would be eliminated, leaving three for the semi final and grand final. I am now tipping July 24 for the grand final, up against the second semi final of Australian Ninja Warrior.

Ideally Ten would have probably wanted to end Masterchef on the Tuesday as it gives bigger promotion to the Bachelor launch the next night. If there are only 2 episodes in final week they might consider skipping Sunday and airing it Monday and Tuesday, although possibly dependant on how well Ninja rates.

I hope it’s not Ben who’s eliminated tomorrow

Hope Eloise’s time is up. She is not good under pressure and always seems to be panicking.

1 Like

Karlie used her power pin well. Without it she would not have the extra time to complete her dish, and probably would end up in the bottom 3.
Kind of surprised Arum made great dishes in both mystery box and reinvention test, could he be the dark horse?
Ben missed the brief and made Dutch meatballs, which was not linked to beef Wellington in anyway visually or conceptually.

1 Like

She should have been in the bottom 3 due to the fact she didn’t meet the brief. How on Earth is a slice of pineapple wrapped in pastry anything to do with beef Wellington?
Ben was hammered for not meeting the brief. His dish at least included beef. The show is becoming an absolute joke.

I like Eloise but agree it’s probably her time to go.

I don’t agree at all. So are you saying for example if someone decided to do a vegetarian variant they should have automatically gone to elimination? Or Sarah should have gone up because she used lamb instead of beef? No. It’s an invention test to reinvent a classic dish. Karlie’s dish was presented visually like a beef wellington. It was just turned into a dessert which I think was smart and creative. Ben’s dish didn’t visually or flavour wise represent a Wellington in any way. It didn’t look like an appealing plate of food either. I don’t know what he was thinking.

Karlie’s dish looked like a Coles Danish pastry on special for $1.99. It didn’t look like beef Wellington nor taste like it.

So sad that Callan was eliminated… Yet another one of my favs gone :cry: I’ve still got Karlie & Sarah though.

Will catch-up on the MasterClass from Friday.

Last night’s Mystery Box & Invention Test was good, really great to see Shannon setting it. Tough with 4 ingredients instead of 8. But Ben, Diana & Eloise really went flat, disappointing.

Tonight’s Pressure Test was insane, one of the toughest desserts I’ve seen, constructing and executing precision was tough. Unfortunately Eloise’s flavours didn’t hit the nail on the head, whereas Ben’s did and he scraped through, despite awful presentation. Diana the standout.

Tomorrow’s immunity looks fun :smile:

Last night’s dessert was really though. You need delicate hands to put on a hole on the egg yolk, take some yolk out with a syringe, then inject the caramel rum filling inside. Eloise was a favourite to win but she was eliminated because her honeycomb and parsnip bark were bitter and her panna cotta was grainy.

1 Like

That was the stupidest challenge on this show by far, and one of the most stupid things I’ve ever seen on Australian TV.

Setting a challenge where cooks have to cure egg yolks, then use a syringe to take out yolk, while putting something else back in for God knows what reason. And then arranging it on top of caramel, with burnt parsnip skins on top.

WTF.

It looked ugly, it sounded ugly tastewise. And above all else, this isn’t mainstream TV - no wonder ratings are so poor this season.

There’s definitely been far more technical challenges on Masterchef before. The challenge last night was no different to a lot of what we’ve seen in Pressure Tests. I actually think we’ve had less of those highly technical challenges this season to previous ones.

I think that Ben probably deserved to go last night. In Pressure Tests like that I think presentation is one of the most important factors, as it’s the big wow factor about that dish. Although I knew when it was close between the two they would get rid of Eloise. They wouldn’t leave Arum as the last guy standing cos he’s probably going to go next anyway.

Eloise was only maybe the favourite with the judges. In no way was she one of the best cooks. She cant think on her feet and is always panicking under pressure. To me Sarah, Ben, Diana and Karlie are the best cooks this season.

1 Like

Ben is by far the better cook and is more creative while Eloise cant think on her feet and is always panicking under pressure. I am glad she went. I am only watching for Sarah and Ben at this point.

Eloise was one of the strongest earlier on in the competition, however she didn’t improve as much as a lot of the other contestants so not a surprise that her time was up. I agree with those 4 as the best cooks and my personal favourite is Karlie.

I have to say Nine has scheduled Australian Ninja Warrior perfectly, it prevents MasterChef from building its ratings momentum for finals week, when traditionally more viewers tune in to see who would make it to the grand final. Looks like we could be looking at the lowest finals week ratings since season 5 in 2013.

Good example was last night when she overcook the honeycomb so it tasted bitter, but she did not redo it. Later, she broke two egg yolks during prep time before succeeding with the third, and did not have much time left to construct the dish.