MasterChef Australia

I wouldn’t go that far.

6 Likes

The team challenges are always my favourite episode of the week but I do also enjoy the Thursday eliminations as they are always different every week so you don’t know what to expect. I find I’m getting a bit tired of the Mystery box / Invention tests on Sunday’s and even the pressure tests are getting a bit repetitive.

1 Like

Melbourne!

4 Likes

Benjamin, Tamara and Ray incorrectly guessed the ball-shaped ingredients in the blind tasting test and had to cook in the second round. Based on the recounts, Benjamin was very confident during his cooking until he burned his chutney. His decision to take the banana pancakes into the oven to keep warm backfired, as the judges reckoned the grilled bananas inside the pancakes were overcooked and mushy, sealing Benjamin’s elimination. Ray spent nearly 15 minutes in the pantry looking for ingredients and struggled during the cooking, but eventually created an excellent grape dish. Tamara was the best performer in the round with her cucumber five ways and yoghurt parfait dessert.

Loved the blind tasting challenge, except for manky Michelle. Watching her histrionics over ginger was just gross.

I would never hire Benjamin for anything. He looks so unprofessional with that stupid beard. I’ve never liked him or his attitude so was pleased for him to be booted.

Can Ray please go next. He has zero personality or charisma and I am sick to death of hearing him him struggling missing his kids. Why go on the fucking show in the first place when you know you could be away for six months.

3 Likes

Speaking of vegetarian …

2 Likes

That was part of Yotam’s visit in January during the Australian Open tennis.

1 Like

More interesting than having 90 mins of stock-standard, cliche statements about how wonderful vegetarian food tasts, would be the contestants making a “meat feast for a group of vegetable lovers”.

Oh totally agree on both counts.

1 Like

A TV star too I’d say. She was great. They have to get her back next year.

Last night’s episode with guest chef David Thompson was great. Karlie was the only contestant to make a dessert in the mystery box and it paid off, winning the challenge. In the invention test, I notice about 1/3 of contestants made ice creams with kaffir leaves, but only 2-3 people created crab dishes. Sam and Trent struggled during cooking but I could not believe Jess went in the bottom 3 as well, she just went too far with her flavour combinations.

1 Like

This week would have to be the South Melbourne Market challenge that I attended back in January. It will be interesting to see how well they can edit out those crazy vegan protesters.

Watching last night’s ep via the afternoon encore today, luckily I’m not busy at this time :slight_smile:

Love Thai, it’s making me hungry!

Edit:

Well done to Karlie, wonderful.

Some great inventions, lots of dishes full of flavour.

I felt bad for Sam and Eloise.

Tonight will be a cracker.

isn’t every night with Masterchef? :open_mouth:

1 Like

A tricky, albeit quick pressure test :disappointed_relieved:

Sad to see Trent go, although I am not surprised.

He failed to properly execute the dish and it just didn’r gel.

Jess safe by the skin of her teeth.

Sam on the other hand was excellent, huge redemption.

Tonight’s pressure test was a classic case of tortoise and hare race. Sam was meticulous and worked way too slow in the first 1.5 hours, but he gradually caught up and those components contributed to a near perfect dish. Trent and Jess were steady during cooking but made mistakes towards the end, the lack of crunchy elements leading to Trent’s elimination and Jess barely surviving despite the bitter beetroot puree.

1 Like

It was so close for Tamara in tonight’s immunity challenge, losing to Clinton Oliver by just one point. I wonder if the result would have been different if Tamara made the chicken broth first instead of the dumpling dough, giving the broth more time to develop its flavour. Earlier, Tamara just beat Ben and Samuel in the mac and cheese challenge. It was funny to hear Tamara using Hong Kong-style “cheung fun” (correct name is rice noodle roll) as the inspiration for her cannelloni dish. Samuel’s twist using cauliflower instead of cheese was admirable but the sauce was a bit too heavy for the judges’ liking.
The preview for the South Melbourne Market team challenge (against State of Origin opener) says a massive problem developed when the food went on sale. I wonder what that problem was (but I think it’s not the vegan protest).

P.S. the herbs in the immunity challenge were arranged in order based on the lyrics of Paul Simon’s Scarborough Fair:
Are you going to Scarborough Fair?
Parsley, sage, rosemary & thyme

1 Like

The editors did work hard to remove any references to protests by the vegans in tonight’s South Melbourne Market challenge, however if you look closely at the screen you can still see some traces. For example, when the judges were sampling food from green team (this photo is from the Herald Sun report of that day):

During the TV broadcast, the camera zoomed in to the judges’ faces so you could see people holding up the signs behind, but you could not see what the signs said.

3 Likes

Yep, good editing.

I loved tonight’s episode, best team challange yet.

Some delicious dishes.

The crowd at the South Melbourne Market was HUGE!

Bad luck Red and Yellow.

Why edit it? Shows how fake the show is and is probably a reason the show is suffering this season.