KIIS Network

Are you new to this country? It’s the whole of Australia that loves nicknames.

Fitzy, Wippa, Kochie, Barrets, Steffo, Rosscoe, Hendo, Toadie, Fatty, Molly, Burgo…Shall I go on?

1 Like

strong text Will McMahon & Woody Whitelaw that is their real names.

1 Like

Are you asking someone called “nickatnights” if they understand the idea of nicknames?

2 Likes

Yes because you need help. Maybe in more ways than one. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I hate Donald Trump but I think we should demand to see Woody Whitelaw’s Birth Certificate or passport.

Are you going to check is place of birth too, in case he is a Kiwi or Brit so you can start a campaign to deport him too? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

If he was born in the UK I am going to start a campaign for him to host a shift at Nova 969 that is broadcast all over Australia and Christmas Island.

But if he’s a Kiwi he can keep a shift on KIIS because they have form in that area.

1 Like

Move on.

Yeah, although I’d say radio has taken it too far… I’m glad we’re seeing a bit of a reversal of everyone needing a nickname but there’s still a hangover from it…

Rabbit, Labrat, Lowie, Fitzy, Wippa, Browny, Lehmo, Jonesy, Gawndy, Fifi, Fev, Soda, Stav, J-Mo, Smallzy, Luttzy… even Jackie O is a nickname

I’m a bit over the radio nickname tbh

1 Like

I know OnAir has asked me to move on… and I will after one more comment (sorry).

I reckon that about 1.3% of Australians are referred to by a nickname. I don’t mean a shortened name - Michael into Mike - but a dead set nickname. I would further estimate that 91.6% of FM radio announcers are known by a nickname. It’s getting ridiculous. What is the reasoning behind it? It is that Fitzy and Wippa is more noticeable than Ryan and Michael? Who makes up these nicknames? Is there a business that outsources making up original nicknames?

I doubt that Woody’s real birth name is Woody - but if it is Woody then he would have known that he was destined to host an FM drive show when he was very young.

Forget the Australian Radio School - if you want your son to get into FM radio just call him Dizza, Scimpi or Spakko.

As I said above, it’s Edward. However, it’s what all his mates have been calling him since he was in high school and more people would know him as Woody than Edward now.

Thanks, Webby. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

If that’s what he wants to be known as, who gives a shit? Yes, I realise the whole over nicknaming thing can wear a bit thin but it breeds familiarity and that’s exactly what an announcer should be doing.

Plenty of people don’t want to go by their given names for whatever reason.

2 Likes

And don’t say that to @Bort because he believes that’s his real name. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

As there is only one Kiwi in the team?

As in, they’ve just hired a Kiwi for another shift. Just pointing out that they’re ridiculous points to criticise.

1 Like

Will that make it “one-o-sux-five Kuss Ef Em”?

2 Likes

Melbourne is actually 101.1fm

With that logo, I always thought it was SUX FM anyway. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes