KIIS Network

Surprised Duncan Campbell hasn’t been sacked yet, he flagged as much in an interview last year, if he couldn’t fix up Melbourne.

KIIS 101.1 has become such a fail, it’s beyond funny.

So the Sunday Herald Sun says they’ll be cleaning out the station, with Hughesy & Kate + Matt & Meshel’s contracts not to be renewed.

The former are such an iconic pair, with massive success over a long time, a sad ending :hushed:

Laugh about 2Day FM all you like, but this elephant in the room of a station, can not be overshadowed or ignored any longer!

I enjoyed Mix 101.1.

3 Likes

Will they dump the KIIS branding and bring back Mix?

1 Like

I personally think neither brand is likely to be revived now or at anytime in the future, but as a proud Melbournian I would’ve thought @LukeMovieMan would prefer a revival of the old but rather local “TT-FM” name instead of “Mix 101.1” which was just another Sydney radio brand (slightly tweaked for the different frequency) that just happened to make it down South! :wink:

2 Likes

The Edge 101.ONE?

EON 101

That would make my day.

XY 101

That would make my week.

Melbourne’s only FM branding is Fox. All the other IDs are from Sydney (I am not counting Gold as it’s so generic)

1 Like

Flop 101.1? :wink:

1 Like

Jase and PJ doing brekky on KIIS 101.1 and Will and Woody for the Drive.

Hughesy and Kate 4.30 to 6.30 on Hit (yes you read the times right)

2 Likes
2 Likes

Good guess. Hughsie and Kate are number one this survey and defected to Hit. So not everything going KIIS’s way these days especially in Melbourne.

2 Likes

Big loss for them losing H&K.
I think KIIS 101.1 could be a big hitter in Melbourne but they executed completely wrong. I’m not a Melbournian but did live there for a period of time and it’s a different place to other cities in Australia.
It could even be the fact that 3 hit music stations are “too much” for Melbourne. Management also too Sydney centric. A lot of work needed between now and next Feb.

1 Like

And I’m not sure if Will & Woody will bring in the ratings. Then again, it is KIIS/ARN. Who would’ve thought H&K would have a larger audience than H&A several years back.

2 Likes

KIIS’ loss is Hit’s gain (Hughesy and Kate that is).

3 Likes

Jase and PJ, an import from NZ/Syd isn’t going to work. They need Melbourne, Melbourne, Melbourne!

4 Likes

To be fair, the only reason KIIS 106.5 isn’t as much of a fail as Melbourne is K&J.

I’m not sure why ARN ever thought it would work identically in Melbourne. They had the #1 breakfast show.

4 Likes

This is big - as much as I expected changes in Melbourne breakfast, interesting to see KIIS let go of Hughesy & Kate.

While Hit moves a heritage show into drive to replace another heritage brand, it looks like the two KIIS stations will be moving younger (and therefore probably hotter) with their music. I suspect that the Melbourne strategy is to reduce the CHR race to between two horses: between KIIS and the powerhouse that is Fox FM.

Nova, aside from breakfast and drive, simply doesn’t stand out, but will most likely do more of the same (despite the numerous changes suggested here with regards to music). The Nova 106.9 log would work better in Melbourne, for example, but I don’t see this happening given that only 3 hours of local content is produced each day in Richmond.

A truly Rhythmic CHR in Melbourne would be a point of difference, though I would expect KIIS to move from being a Mix station in hit music clothing to a full CHR product. That said, surprised that Will & Woody is in drive - would’ve thought they’d suit Melbourne breakfast with someone like Meshel Laurie.

Disagree: they had a good Melbourne show in Matt & Meshel which did nothing for them ratings wise. Their ZM show would’ve suited perfectly to Hit drive, and that’s where I expected they would end up, but I can’t see them failing to adapt to Melbourne given that Jase Hawkins had moved from the small Brisbane market to New Zealand relatively easily.

Regardless, yet again we have another year with a fluctuating market in Melbourne. Survey 1, 2018 will be interesting to say the least.

2 Likes

This article says:
It is understood ARN did not renew their contracts, allowing Austereo to swoop in and poach the pair.

Strange decision considering they just topped the Drive shift in the ratings. Maybe they couldn’t match what Hit was offering to pay them? So are they staying on air on KIIS for the rest of the year?

2 Likes

This article also says Meshel and Matt chose not to renew their contracts. I know we discussed it before but it didn’t click that the replacement Jase is Jason Hawkins ie. Labby.

2 Likes

Only in Sydney - on a station that has the strongest breakfast show in the country propping it up so basically anything will rate - and even there they went down (just less so than KTM).
#4 FM Drive in Melbourne.
#3 FM Drive in Brisbane.
#2 FM Drive in Adelaide.
#4 FM Drive in Perth.
I’d hardly describe them as hot property.

3 Likes

Exactly, hence why they rate so poorly in Melbourne, Brisbane and Perth.

3 Likes

Jase and PJ will also continue to do their Drive Show on ZM out of Melbourne they have announced. Probably a wise decision just in case breakfast doesn’t work out for them.

Assuming the length of the show stays 4 hours they will be on air from 1pm until 5pm local Melbourne time.