KIIS Network

Wonder if they’ll do the entire show live; 7 hours of content a day would be draining.

2 Likes

Could it be a highlights show with some live inserts?

Duncan will be pissed.

H&K No. 1 in Sydney.

Now gone.

Awks they’re presenting an award at the ACRAs via KIIS :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Originally Willy and Woody were originally slated for a ‘late drive show’ assuming 6 or 7pm, perhaps they’ve been pushed to 4pm with a surprise move by H&K?

I see this as a temporary move. Lazy programming by ZM and I wouldn’t think Jase & PJ would want to throw much at it, considering their move and top priority is to get KIIS breaky to No.1 (or as close to No.1) in Melbourne.

Might last 6 months on ZM drive before the programmers find a decent Drive show to take over, or they run the best of Jase & PJ from 3p-4p and then have a new Drive show 4p-7p … that way fans of the show won’t miss Jase & PJ and will be eased into a new Drive show.

Watch this space.

1 Like

The drive result for Kiis 106.5 is heavily influenced by its current breakfast offering. Tim Ross with his Drive show managed a great turnaround in 2014 on the station compared to his 2013 ratings when it was MIX 106.5.

1 Like

I hope it is temporary. I’m a listener of the show and its unrealistic to think the show next year will be entirely live which is incredibly lazy, as you mentioned. The workload for the Melbourne show will be more than enough to do and the pressure would be huge considering this the third breakfast show in four years for the station.

I assume it was NZME who orchestrated this arrangement rather than Jase and PJ as the station is in a good place at the moment and NZME wont want any major changes.

2 Likes

Just bring back TTFM :wink:

3TTT_1991

7 Likes

Incorrect, 3AW has the largest bfast share.

1 Like

And Fox has the largest cume.

Yes I agree Reece, a lot of KIIS’ other ratings in Sydney, can be attributed to Kyle & Jackie O.

I mean H&K are a heritage, successful show as well, but don’t have the same hype and more so originating in Melbourne (Hughesy also making a name via Rove, Before the Game & The Project).

1 Like

H&K were never the ratings juggernaut that K&J were/are. And by virtue of being in Melbourne simply don’t have the same ‘celebrity’ attached, despite Hughesy.

Melbourne breakfast is entirely different to, say, Sydney and Melbourne listeners seem to be more loyal to a station than a show per se, with a few exceptions.

Personally, I think H&K are past it for a station aimed at young people. I haven’t listened much, but last I did their show felt… well, lazy. And like two people in their 50s talking about problems people in their 50s have. They’re also too old and too jaded to put up with much pressure from management. I fail to see how it will work on the Hit network, especially when you have Will & Woody in competition - two younger guys having the first crack at the ‘big time’.

Think I know which team will put the most work in to make sure their shows firing. Not to mention they’re already known in Melbourne and Perth, and might be seen as the closest H&A replacement (which could be a good or bad thing).

H&K on Hit might signal a slight switch to a slightly older, more Hot AC format on Hit (or 2DAY at least), though I doubt it…

1 Like

Those didn’t seem to be problems considering Hughsie and Kate just made it to number one. And maybe Hit are looking at skewing older anyway to grab listeners from Smooth and Gold.

Everybody bangs on about younger listeners not even listening to radio anyway so what makes you think a couple of young unknowns like Will and Woody will do better than Hughsie & Kate which are currently number one?

1 Like

Will and Woody have been compared to Hamish and Andy many times - particularly when they got their first break doing nights, weekends and summer breakfast many years ago (2011 if I remember correctly). Over the last four years they’ve really developed their craft and demostrated a drive and never-take-no attitude that is very similar to Hamish and Andy’s. This is a massive coup for KIIS and once again we see SCA letting some of their best talent leave.

1 Like

Kyle and Jackie O are hardly spring chickens either. Fox and Nova breakfast in Melbourne are also older, it’s not hurting their ratings.

4 Likes

…in Sydney. On a station buoyed by the juggernaut that is K&J. And barely.

I’ve been saying for two years they should head towards a more Hot AC format in Sydney. Their problem is they have Fox which is all guns-blazing in Melbourne, and a mixed bag everywhere else. If everyone’s failing, everyone’s winning, or everyone’s doing middlingly well, it’s easier to make group decisions. As in Nova, where all the Novas tend to do middlingly well at least, and Smooth is doing very well in the two markets it’s in. If Smooth was smashing it in Sydney, and coming last in Melbourne, it would be a lot harder to manage, but it’s not.

They’re known in Perth, which should see their numbers surge there, especially as the rest of the offerings are very much ‘east-coast’ offerings (they’re the closest thing Perth would have to a local drive show). They’re also known in Melbourne, and are the closest thing to H&A who are very popular in Melbourne, so should pick up some numbers there.

In Sydney, H&K will be on the lowest-rated commercial FM station. H&A struggle to pull more than a 5 on 2DAY, what makes you think H&K, who are older, will be able to pull the numbers at 2DAY, especially given the poor lead-in from Breakfast? Especially given H&A lovers will now be forced to flick around the dial and trial different shows.

Drive is a very different beast to breakfast. Plus, Fox will always rate simply because it’s the Fox. Chrissie Swan had the top rated breakfast show not all that long ago, and Sam Pang is a TV celebrity. The show rates a 6.7. Depends how you classify ‘not hurting their ratings’.

Age isn’t the only factor, of course, but being able to engage with the target demo is very important. Marty’s old too, but he works in the context of KTM alongside Kate and Tim. Fifi’s older, but works in the context of The Fox and particularly alongside Dave Thornton.

Put Marty and Fifi back together and they probably wouldn’t work on a younger station, depending on who was around them.

5 Likes

They barely worked well together, but that’s another story

3 Likes

Glad someone remembers.

Awkward! How embarrassing for ZM!

https://radioinfo.com.au/news/jase-pj-won’t-do-drive-nz-just-breakfast-kiis

And for radioinfo who admit they just assumed the situation without actually asking what would happen.

2 Likes

The ZM website seems pretty clear about it though: http://www.zmonline.com/shows/jase-pj/jase-and-pj-announce-their-replacements-for-2018/

1 Like