KIIS Network

I think SCA shouldn’t even consider poaching them back. they should move forward with the talent that they’ve got (and frankly under utilizing), and not trying to relive its past glory days…

1 Like

i don’t see them moving but i recon if K&J did leave arn, Mike E and Emma would come back to arn and take over KIIS breakfast

3 Likes

I reckon Kyle will be pushing hard to be heard nationally in his next deal. Could we hear him and Jackie doing a national breakfast show, perhaps at somewhere like Triple M?

2 Likes

Ooh. I reckon it’s not their type.

2 Likes

Can’t really see it happening, at least on MMM. Here in Adelaide the breakfast show is number one after many years and they’re not going to let that go to waste. Granted the competition is weaker with Mix, no KIIS or Gold to compete against.

Personally I think a national breakfast show would work if on the right network. Here in Adelaide I get sick of the constant focus on the crows, and to a lesser extent Port Adelaide. Half the time it’s like the rest of the world doesn’t even exist. A show like Christian O’Connell’s would work very well nationally with the format and audience engagement they have.

5 Likes

I personally would be excited to see SCA lure K&J back - but what’s the bet it is false news. Let’s wait to see if Kyle himself makes any comment about these rumours.

In recent months, Jackie O has posted a number of photos on her Instagram with former EP and Hit Network Group CD Gemma Fordham (who is now also Jackie’s manager). Also, Jackie was seen at an event with both Gemma and SCA’s Carrie Bickmore. Could this be the next power team? K&J at breakfast and Carrie & Tommy at Drive? Could Gemma be the gel to get them back into SCA?

This would be an eventful one to watch - as without K&J, 2Day are nothing… and without K&J, the entire “new” KIIS Network is nothing (i.e. it has been built around their show/brand).

Could KIIS1065 survive post K&J if that day ever came? Or would their luck go back to the Mix days?

9 Likes

Isnt this what they did last time they renewed? Theyre just trying to get the most money possible, and good on them.

I think we’ll stay at the status quo, KJ at KIIS with a nice little payrise

8 Likes

Agreed. I really can’t see a national breakfast show on the Hit or KIIS networks. Local breakfast shows work well, and as the old saying goes ‘if it ain’t broke, why fix it’.

1 Like

If they were going to try it surely they would try it on DAB in the other cities first to test the waters?

1 Like

At least if they do do it, we will all get to experience the drama and excitement together

1 Like

I don’t see national breakfast working, especially in Perth with the timezone difference. The Perth market values local, most aren’t enjoying the Hamish & Andy podcast on Mix94.5 and this is the survey break. Imo, breakfast is important to address local issues.

4 Likes

Melbourne I reckon would not be interested at all. Networked programming is usually frowned upon, especially in breakfast, although K&JO being what they are, who knows, do they have enough pulling power to reverse the stigma of networked breakfast?

The time difference probably isn’t too detrimental in listening terms but would eliminate any form of audience engagement outside of the AEST/AEDST timezones.

2 Likes

What if they moved to a national show at 9am and gave Breakfast in Sydney to other hosts?

1 Like

I think the easiest answer would be 6-9 in Sydney only, then bring in Melbourne from 9-10 when Jase & Lauren finish.

Adelaide and Brisbane would need workarounds timezone wise

1 Like

There is a reason why most national radio shows are done out of Melbourne. So that radio stations there can say “proudly made in Melbourne” in their promotion of these national shows. 3AW tried networking from 2GB for some shows and it failed spectacularly. Now the Money show is the only 2GB content you’ll hear on AW.

3 Likes

i don’t think people want to hear constant talking, and less music, particularly if its Kyle and Jackie O during the workday.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t rule out a move to listnr and subscriber content - maybe less restrictive than commercial radio and Kyle can be more like Howard Stern.

Just a thought anyway.

3 Likes

Because it is, and always has been, the best radio market in Australia.

2 Likes

Where I could see a possibility for a network breakfast show is to KIIS 97.3 in Brisbane. It is a long shot though. KIIS 97.3 is struggling in the Brisbane ratings. Network in daylight savings the show would start at 5:00am and run through to 9:30am, so that would work, both Kyle and Jackie O are from Queensland. It is a NRL city like Sydney so they won’t have to talk about AFL. The only time they talk about footy is Friday’s with Marty Johns son but it ends up being more about his parents sex life then footy. Typical KJO content.

Basically KIIS 97.3 would need to change radically from a half Pure Gold station into more of a CHR station, like KIIS 106.5. It would shake things up in that market and could trouble Nova 106.9.

Melbourne, Perth and Adelaide would not work, again Brisbane is a long shot, but basically they would be blowing up the current station and rebuilding the audience.

5 Likes

It would be absolutely ridiculous for Brisbane to have three pure CHR stations in a four FM station market. KIIS 97.3 is struggling because it’s sounding too much like B105 and Nova as it is. Also just because Kyle is from Queensland doesn’t mean people like him. Most people I speak to certainly aren’t fans. Brisbane doesn’t like networked breakfast any more than Melbourne does.

2 Likes