KIIS Network

Actually KJO would fit Nova perfectly.
With the money the network saves by firing the Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and Adelaide breakfast shows they could give them a pay rise. Running them 6-10am would work in all eastern states even with daylight savings.

Perth would keep their breakfast show.

Nova could then save even more money by networking or should I say dual programming one DJ across all the states running the KJO show until 3pm when the Ben & Liam drive show starts.

Sydney would go #1 fm, and 1# breakfast but it would still rate good enough in other states for a ROV, and those other Nova stations overall ratings similar to what they are now.

Alternatively ARN rebrands Mix 102.3 to KIIS ,and then networks their show on the east coast, and pays them even bigger money so they are not lost to another network.

We all know the impact to a radio network when KJO leave.

This is just my opinion on how things could play out in the future.

5 Likes

I donā€™t think they would work at Breakfast in multiple markets. I think that the Breakfast shift is the only one that listeners prefer to be local. From local weather to traffic, sport and local issues, itā€™s the one time of the day when people would prefer the local content.

You can easily have a national DJ in the mornings and afternoons or the national shows in Drive and Night but Breakfast is different.

1 Like

I think the status quo will prevail for sometime, but if revenue drops and the accountants get their way we could have networked breakfast shows across our major fm networks.

This is common place in NZ and the UK, I think Australia will eventually go this way.

3 Likes

Maybe but the problem with Australia doing that easily is that we are much bigger country with a lot more time zones and a lot more differences.

4 Likes

I think networked breakfast on Nova, at least Syd-Mel isnā€™t that much of a fantasy. Especially knowing their obsession with trying to network daytime and the Greg Burns disaster.

5 Likes

As I mentioned earlier it could work, Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide similar time zones but not Perth. 2-3 hour difference.

A 6-10 breakfast show in the eastern states in AEDST would be 5-9 Brisbane and 5:30-9:30 in SA.

2 Likes

Single time-zones and tiny countries by comparison. NZ and UK (well England) are really more ā€œone countryā€ which makes a national breakfast show more workable. The fact is countries like Australia, Canada and the US are federations of states with big differences between states. State issues and different focuses abound. Whatā€™s topical and important in Melbourne is of no interest in Brisbane. Sure there are national discussion points but just as many that are much more state-focused. Are there any examples of networked breakfast shows in North America? Maybe on satellite radio but not on top-rating FM stations.

5 Likes

Most shows are 6-9 though.

1 Like

While I enjoy Jase and Lauren, I definitely think Kyle and Jackie O would work in Melbourne.

There would be a lot more anti-ā€œNot from Melbourneā€ sentiment than fresh from the UK Christian Oā€™Connell had. But I think the audience would come around just the same. They would need to keep the Sydney references to a minimum however, because i dont think they would be as palatable to Melbourne listeners, like Auckland references are to Christchurch listeners in NZ

1 Like

I dunno, I think Melbourne listeners would rather someone from the UK than a Sydney show.

3 Likes

This whole Melbourne/Sydney thing is so bloody childish.

4 Likes

If Howard Stern was able to be syndicated to 60 markets in the US, where youā€™d argue thereā€™s an even bigger and deeper cultural divide from city to city than Australia, then is it really such a stretch for The Kyle and Jackie O Show to be pumped live into different markets?

The latest Triton Podcast Ranker has their podcast in at number 3, surely itā€™s not just Sydneysiders listening to their podcast, right?

Love them or hate them, theyā€™re a show that polarises and makes waves in a sea of relatively beige radio shows in Australia.

I grew up in Rockhampton and had absolutely no issues listening and enjoying syndicated shows from Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne.

There have been mind-blowingly bad decisions made by radio networks over the past few decades ā€¦ honestly, this doesnā€™t seem like such a bad idea.

7 Likes

I think thatā€™s possibly not the best rankerā€¦ the notes of the ranking suggests itā€™s not every podcast company participating (Australian Podcast Ranker - Top Podcasts - January 2023 - Triton Digital Podcast Rankers) . Ie - Kyle and Jackie O are 50th on Apple Podcasts chart, but 3rd on that list. Thereā€™s heaps of shows ahead of them.

3 Likes

Iā€™m sure we could spend all day discussing the fascinating world of podcast rankings, but whatever rank we deem to be the greatest, I donā€™t think my opinion is negated.

1 Like

Lol. I wasnā€™t challenging the whole premise of what you wrote. Hence why the whole thing wasnā€™t quoted.

And youā€™re right, tv is effectively syndicated. The afternoon on radio is syndicated. It could work. Or it could go down in flames.

2 Likes

While Kyle might be the self-appointed king of Sydney (FM) radio his latest foray into television has shown he isnā€™t universally popular.

7 Likes

Although I would suggest that Kyle has ā€œAlan Jones Syndromeā€.

In front of a microphone, he is a brilliant communicator, but in from of a camera the magic disappears.

The Kyle and Jackie O Hour of Power is also a poor indicator of how the duo sound at breakfast. It focuses on them interviewing the stars, rather than their ability to effectively banter and take calls form listeners.

4 Likes

Iā€™d say a fair few announcers have the same luck.

Hamish & Andy are probably the only duo who could successfully transition from radio to television.

Jackie O hasnā€™t had luckā€¦ nor has John Lawsā€¦ nor has Alan Jonesā€¦ even Hughesy didnā€™t really do that well, etc. etc.

4 Likes

And the main reason for that is that they produce most of their own TV (everything thatā€™s been successful except Lego Masters I think). That makes it more like the radio process where the talent have a huge control what ultimately goes to air and the producers guide from behind rather than TV when thereā€™s a huge editing and production process outside of what the talent do.

2 Likes

Due to popular demand, Jase and Lauren are doing another round of Hide and Seek with another $50,000 up for grabs. The game officially started this morning.

3 Likes