KIIS Network

Seems to have a habit of jumping around networks (both in radio and tv). Let’s see how long this gig lasts.

1 Like

Finishing today.

Alice will be Jase & Lauren’s 3rd Executive Producer since starting in August 2021,

1 Like

Really? Over 7 years at SCA in Adelaide working on 2 shows, then a move home to Melbourne during COVID where she’s worked for 7 for 18 months. That’s hardly jumping around. I also believe she was head hunted by KIIS based on the quality of her work at SCA.

4 Likes

You believe or just assuming?

1 Like

Why would I say one when I meant the other?

3 Likes

So a few things I’ve noticed in the last day or so:

• They’re advertising Robin, Terry & Kip as starting from 6am instead of 5:30am. 97.3 FM have been starting their breakfast show at 5:30am since I can remember (at least since 2005) so that’s a big change. Brisbane has had a bunch of breakfast shows start at 5:30am (before summer break 4BC, Triple M and 97.3 FM were), but the rest of the KIIS network starts breakfast at 6am, so I guess this is just another example of KIISification of the station :frowning: .
  • On air they’ve stopped saying “Brisbane’s Widest Variety of Music from the 80s to Now” and are now saying “100% Hits From KIIStory to Now”
  • They’ve started playing music that I’ve never heard on 97.3 before such as “Jenny from The Block” which has a bunch of rap in it.
  • They’re now saying the phone number during the day for competitions is 13 1065. Previously (at least at breakfast which is the only time I really still listen) they’d still use the local 3223 0973 number and 13 1065 was only used for networked shows.

So I guess this is it, there’s still some good music such as “Breakfast at Tiffany’s” by Deep Blue Something and “Never Tear Us Apart” by INXS, but I’m guessing over time this’ll slowly fade away until it’s just a clone of KIIS Sydney and Melbourne music wise. Don’t know why they want to shift towards Nova and b105 since they already exist and 97.3 FM was different to that, but alas I guess the direction has come from Sydney and that’s the way it goes.

5 Likes

It’s pathetic that in a 4 FM station market there are now 3 CHR/Hot AC stations. If SCA had a brain they could really capitalise on this by revamping 4MMM to broaden its appeal as an adult-oriented music station. They would have the market to themselves.

5 Likes

Wow. I wonder if KIIS97.3 breakfast will go beyond 9am (similar to K&J going overtime)?

As for the music ‘refresh’, we can probably all agree that it is well overdue. Especially given recent ratings where B105 has seen an improvement. It makes sense for ARN wanting to go after B105 and Nova106.9.

They just need to be careful not to sound too similar - otherwise it’ll clutter up the Brisbane FM market.

… I wonder if we will see any of these changes to Mix102.3? They are currently No.1, so I would be hesitant to adjust anything at the moment …

3 Likes

I’m assuming they won’t go overtime. I don’t listen to KIIS 101.1 Melbourne but I doubt Jase and Lauren go overtime. I think giving a breakfast slot of 6-10am (instead of the usual 9am) and then allowing them to blow past that whenever they like is something exclusively reserved for Kyle & Jackie O.

4 Likes

I don’t see how it makes sense at all for 3 out of 4 stations to target the exact same section of the audience. I would think they should differentiate their sound from B105 and Nova and capture the the audience that listens to Smooth and Gold in other cities while skewing a bit younger and capturing some of the B105/Nova audience. Nobody will win if all 3 are identical.

The transition to KIIS has not been successful for 97.3 so far, and they risk making it worse.

5 Likes

Agreed. Since ARN got rid of Barry Drinkwater (before rehiring him at River94.9), the station has gone downhill.

He kept things local.

4 Likes

There is also Coles, or the 80s branded stations, or the MMM branded stations to listen to 80s or classic rock in Brisbane. There is also Smooth and 4BH.

27/12/2022 09:53:31 AEST Jennifer Lopez Jenny From The Block
28/12/2022 14:31:59 AEST Jennifer Lopez Jenny From The Block

Lava says it’s been played 17 times already on 97.3 FM according to it’s play history…and it seems 2 of those plays are within 2 days of each other. Hopefully not an indication of some significant playlist tightening?

2 Likes

Kyle and Jackie O Panel operator “Thing” on air this morning at KIIS 1065.
Gordie was back also today.
Nat on air right now.

2 Likes

Is that what he calls himself on air?

1 Like

KIIS got dumped just before the 5 o’clock news this morning

2 Likes

Guessing this from Wednesday on Netflix

1 Like

Kyle called him Thing because his hands are all over near kyle and he made fun of it so he called him like that.

1 Like

Yes. But do they promote the presenter as “Thing” when he does his own show? Or his real name?

Jason Hawkins was “Labrat” when he did night time show on 2Day. He became Jason “Labby” Hawkins when he moved to Breakfast with Stewart “Stav” Davidson. Their show was Labby, Stav & Abby.

Now on KIIS it’s Jase and Lauren.

2 Likes

Hot 30 on the Today Network actually.

5 Likes