KIIS Network

And Kyle was appointed CEO of ARN when…?

But to be fair, I don’t like the TVCs and don’t understand why they went with a national ad template and not adapting them to each market.

2 Likes

Mitch is great (huge fan) but they won’t push him into Grant markets and make the show national. Not for the next few years. Grants run on Zetta and ARN run on NexGen. So that’s a hindrance, especially that his show is live. Random 20 is networked on Grants because that’s pre-recorded earlier in the arvo.

1 Like

I could imagine down the track they’d network a night show from either Mix Adelaide or KIIS Brisbane as they skew slightly older than KIIS Syd & Melb.

I could see that being the show being networked regionally.

2 Likes

There is no technical reason why they can’t syndicate Mitch on the ARN Regional stations. They’d just run him in an hour’s delay like Will and Woody and send the segments down to play locally.

4 Likes

Given the money ARN has behind it, they would have the capital to merge the systems together under the business case that it would pay itself off over 5 years with cheaper labour and production costs. They would be looking to DMG’s model in the 00’s as their blueprint

3 Likes

Thanks for stating some fact rather than a simplistic view. Most appreciated @tx42

2 Likes

Surely there must be a way. Don’t SCA use Zetta? Hit 104.7 in Canberra uses NexGen and is able to take the live network feed. Are you saying there’s no way to go back the other way (NexGen to Zetta)?

2 Likes

New Zealand Media and Entertainment are currently testing Zetta playout at a regional site being pulsed by NexGen at a network level in preparation for a Zetta rollout. There is no technical reason why Nexgen and Zetta can’t be used interchangeably. The ad break, local ID pulsing etc is just GPIO and can be translated however necessary. The bigger challenge would be getting the live audio to all the regional sites (Grants currently have no network-wide live distribution platform like SCA or ARN Metro have, with the exception of some intra-state links for programs like Tasmania Talks).

The most logical solution would be to replicate the setup of Will & Woody for the regionals and just replay the show segments locally an hour later. This arrangement wouldn’t require any additional hardware at any of the sites.

4 Likes

SCA did this too when they were rolling out Zetta. They had Maestro in the Metro stations and Nexgen in the regionals. The Zetta rollout started with regional stations who were at the time receiving networked programming from Melbourne and Sydney who used Maestro and the Gold Coast who were using Nexgen without any major problems.

Even ARN metro only share live programming between Melbourne and Sydney.

One of the reasons Will & Woody is on delay is so that the music can be different.

Another option that wouldn’t require new gear is to make use of Nine Radio’s satellite system. Nine offer it to third parties and boast that every commercial station in Australia has the necessary gear in place to receive it. It’s not as complete a solution as what SCA have in SCAsat, but would be ideal if they’re only syndicating a small amount of live programming.

3 Likes

Real Music dead? 96FM is now trending down… is it time to pull the plug and go Kiis with how strong Nova is in the west?

3 Likes

“havent found the right on air partner for her yet”

What about Jase from 1011 breakfast… Or Mitch from nights… they are friends… or is abbey doomed to fail?

6 Likes

Its Lachy the Geek’s last day as a producer on the Kyle and Jackie o show

2 Likes

Where is he going to?

1 Like

The amount of bullying he’s had to deal with by Kyle and I don’t blame him if he quit.

4 Likes

Not sure where to put this

5 Likes

In the first hour of Tuesday morning’s edition, (which was still available to download online yesterday), Sandilands left listeners gobsmacked after making a series of sexist, homophobic, crude and lewd comments, ranging from group sex acts and “hairy armed old lesos” to catching thrush from “dirty girls” and “not letting any gays near” his newborn son for fear of catching monkeypox.

Sandilands also said he was concerned about getting the disease from promiscuous gay colleagues, saying “I’m putting my life in the gays’ hands as well”, even though the show’s medical expert, dubbed Dr KIIS, said the virus had a low mortality rate.

Sandilands pushed on, questioning the unidentified doctor if he could get the virus by touching a gay person, declaring that if he were a doctor, he would erect a sign saying “no monkeypox patients admitted” to thwart “dirty monkeypox victims”.

2 Likes

Again. I have no idea how this guy rates in Sydney. What is wrong with these people?

4 Likes

There’s lead in the drinking water

4 Likes

I confess to listening to Kyle and Jackie O on a regular basis. My reason? They are the only breakfast show on Sydney radio that is ad libbed. Instead of having “pre-determined “hilarious” discussions of what happened in the supermarket yesterday”, their show is spontaneous and that’s nice to wake up to.

Kyle and Jackie appear to have not pre-prepared every comment they make. And neither of them spend the morning fake laughing at the other.

Of course there are dangers to such unscripted conversations, but it’s also refreshing that they are not reading from a piece of paper that was written 24 hours before hand.

I don’t particularly like Kyle but when you listen to the competition on FM, I can see why he rates. And Jackie has the sexiest voice on radio.

10 Likes

You probably have Stockholm Syndrome.