Ideas, Issues, Suggestions

Until we get a better idea of the state of play (as in that there are actually rights up for grabs) the thread will remain locked.

Discussion can remain in the Seven Cricket Coverage thread for the time being

1 Like

It’s not often speculation interrupts play.

1 Like

Suggestion: Should we have a thread where we can put all the caps, videos (etc) of tonight’s final local 10 News First bulletins? Certainly one for the history books.

(Possibly into the Centralisation thread?)

Done.

1 Like

Quick question

If I wanted to float an idea for a ABC/SBS merger and put it in the right area (under ABC and SBS), is it appropriate to create a new thread OR put it in either existing ABC operations or SBS operations threads?

2 Likes

You could use

4 Likes

Good thinking.

1 Like

I’ve been getting these nonsensical ads on mobile MS lately.

1 Like

I love my ikrolsapeiktamejuk

4 Likes

I’ve explained the reasoning for this over on the random thread.

TLDR they’re related to the scam ads that have David Koch, Dick Smith, etc face all over them.

1 Like

Amazing what the TEN News changes that took effect today can do to a site… not the first time either. It is what it is.

15 Likes

Question;
Given that a number of forum members work in the media, should we not have rules regarding breaking copyright laws?
I hate to be a stickler, but posting full bulletins of news services recorded off the commercial channels on youtube and liking them to forum posts is pretty poor form. There’s a difference between a short clip highlighting a certain issue or highlights from new graphics and sets, to whacking the full bulletin which is provided on all the major commercial websites - yes, with ads, but it’s their IP and we should respect it.

Really? We aren’t making money from it?
It’s more used as reference as I see it. I can’t view other state bulletins on some of the catchup sites, so I appreciate full bulletins being posted sometimes.

I think the commercial networks have much bigger things to worry about…

As much as I hate it because it used to kill channels, the networks can easily have their content removed from YouTube if they want to exercise their rights. They only really remove stuff if it contains something that shouldn’t have gone to air and/or could be damaging to their brand or an individual within their company.

6 Likes

That’s kinda not the point though, is it? It doesn’t matter how we see it, if we’re making money or not, or if the networks have the people to go through the internet looking for their content to remove.
It’s illegal, and although individuals may not be making money, you’re stealing money that would be made through advertising eyeballs.

Also, montage of highlights, you could possibly argue it being a reference, but not a full bulletin.

1 Like

lol. This is pretty funny, and from what I’ve seen, most of the odd full bulletin that gets uploaded here still contains ads. This is almost like saying that Foxtel are stealing advertising dollars from the networks because I can fast forward ads.

Advertising is market specific, so they have the rights to determine which ads you see.
All the commercial streaming platforms online would also be measuring site traffic, which goes towards the adjusted ratings.

Plus, you’re allowed to record a program and fast forward through the ads - it’s covered under the personal use clauses of copyright laws.

Again, you finding if funny or not, doesn’t make it right. It’s not right and we shouldn’t be encouraging it.

The networks have cracked down on this in the past- had content removed from YouTube and had accounts shut down for violating copyright. Even some of the accounts from which they themselves sourced historic clips for use in their news and entertainment programs no longer exist. I have no doubt they’ll go on another blitz in the future.

I agree uploading of full bulletins is something that shouldn’t be done regularly but I doubt those bulletins are being consumed for no other reason than to examine and critique the structure and presentation of the bulletins.

12 Likes

Guess we need to go back to the good ol’ days of uploading montages.

I for one am grateful to be able to on a rare occasion watch a bulletin from markets not my own. Would not watch them otherwise.

4 Likes