Israel-Hamas War - Coverage Discussion

Discussion of media coverage of the Israel-Hamas War

3 Likes

Well done launching this thread. Never late than never.

I think the next couple of days will be important.

4 Likes

I think the CNN coverage has been excellent from what I have seen.

5 Likes

Chris Reason dominating for 7 with that live cross when the siren went off.

10 Likes

it sure has been
it’s building back my confidence in CNN

2 Likes

This is what CNN was built on.

4 Likes

When it comes to international conflicts CNN always nails it. Their coverage at the start of the Ukraine conflict was superb as has their coverage of this conflict.

Al Jazeera was excellent with the Syrian and Libyan wars a decade ago and has done a fair job with Ukraine. Their coverage of the Israel situation has been comprehensive but somewhat biased towards the Palestinians with a tendency to downplay the atrocities of Hamas that started this whole horrid affair.

5 Likes

Wonder what the coverage will be like if there’s a ground invasion. Will 7, 9 and ABC break into programming?

2 Likes

I reckon it will depend on the time of day. Primetime- somewhat unlikely, maybe regular newsflashes- outside of primetime, very likely to break in with regular crosses to overseas partners.

1 Like

Is it just me or is Seven’s foreign corresponding team (for a commercial) quite strong?

Chris Reason (chief and leading Israel), Hugh Whitfeld (Europe head and leading Israel with Reaso), David Woiwod (US head), Tim Lester (US and also currently in Israel), Mylee Hogan (US) and Ashley Mullany (now Europe and also covering Israel). And going off recent years Geof Parry (Ukraine) and Nick McCallum (annual Anzac).

And a special mention to the recently departed who also played significant roles during Trump, COVID and Ukraine outbreaks: Amelia Brace (US) / Paul Kadak (US) and Laurel Irving (UK) > Sarah Greenhalgh (UK).

7 Likes

Totally agree on all counts. I had expected much better from Al Jazeera - but then given who owns them, that was probably naïve of me.

The BBC have impressed me this week. They’ve showed that they can still do real coverage when they want to. It’s interesting how both pro-Israel and pro-Palestine supporters have called the BBC biased (each for different reasons). That tells me they’re actually doing a generally decent job.

3 Likes

Some coverage from Seven and Nine yesterday and this morning

2 Likes

Brett McLeod has joined the Nine News team in Israel. Nine now have 3 reporters in Israel for coverage including Alison Piotrowski and Edward Godfrey

1 Like

5 Likes

Seven and Nine now have three crews on the ground each.

I wonder if they’ll send someone over to help staff the London bureaus.

1 Like

Reckon 9, 7 or 10 will show Biden’s address to the nation LIVE?

1 Like

When is it meant to be?

1 Like

11am Sydney time.

1 Like

Considering they showed him driving to get on a plane the other day I wouldn’t be surprised.

1 Like

Live AEDT only.

3 Likes