International Politics (non-USA)

And yet again, there’s this - this doesn’t happen in Japan.

Instead they have the likes of Aum Shinrikyo to worry about.

1 Like

Hardly. Japan’s cities are not filled with concrete bollards.

Well hate is rising. Only the most naive would think that this problem is going to improve. It will get worse. Humans are tribal and, unfortunately, they are better off living with their tribes - for example, in Japan and China where people live without the fear of terrorist attacks. Few people understand this and that’s why we are where we are.

:roll_eyes: So do we all have to move back to Europe or Asia or wherever else we came from and leave Australia to the indigenous?

Have you forgotten the Sarin terrorist attack on the Tokyo metro? There have been terrorist attacks in China too but they don’t get reported in any similar way that they do in the west.

2 Likes

China’s authoritarian government puts that sort of thing down fast. And Japanese society, which heavily imbues a strenuous work ethic and shame of self, has contributed more to the country’s suicide epidemic than highly targeted violence.

That’s not to say that isolated incidents - mostly via knives and in relation to sectarian conflicts - have not occurred.

Soundbites like that are worthless, but I would be surprised if deep reporting wasn’t happening to figure out how the suspect became so hateful in any case.

Perhaps my immediacy was wrongly placed - journalistic coverage never affords enough attention to the direct victims of these things and might never be able to, but the current moment should be theirs - but I think completely missing any angles that could be found there would lead us to the fallacy that all of the factors leading to radicalization were self-evident or presumable.

We know what he subscribed to - and by god should we not promote it - but we don’t know why.

No, we don’t have to leave Australia to the Aboriginal people, to answer your question. I didn’t say anything like that.

2 There is an extremely low threat of terrorist attacks in Japan. And people live accordingly. The Sarin attack doesn’t change that. By the way, no I haven’t forgotten about that, seeing as I just posted about it a few posts up (in the thread where this was).

3 Terrorist attacks in China? Yes, there are, and they are perpetrated by Uighur Muslims - which goes to my point.

@PointJules Thanks for the info about suicides but we’re talking about terrorist attacks. Japan is a highly safe country, and the Japanese enjoy that safety - and one of the main reasons for that is a harmonious society.

So does locking up the other peaceful Uighur muslims in ‘re-education’ concentration camps help the rest of the populace live without fear of terrorism?

Yes. But I am not advocating that. In any case, this has nothing to do with point. You are going down a side-track. Because of that, you are making me now be extremely specific. Countries that are mono-cultural have far less terrorism and far less fear of terrorism. That is what I am saying.

By the way, when I first brought up China, yes, I am aware of the attacks that have occured there, perpetuated by Muslim Uighurs - but in terms of the 1,500,000,000 people living in China, I included China because almost all of those people are living their lives free from the fear of terrorism (that is raging and sweeping across most of the Western world right about now).

The truth is not nice, sometimes. I have been to the Uighur region of China (and Iran and Syria for that matter) and would fight for those people to not be locked up, but my answer wasn’t about that.

My point was that this “harmonious society” notion - as enacted in the real world - not causing terrorism exerts lethal consequences in other ways that get less media attention and arise in an insidious fashion.

Linking minimal terrorism to harmonious societies might be tenuously correct, but it ignores too much to be a worthwhile conclusion.

Of course it’s a worthwhile conclusion. Australia has had many terrorist attacks in the past few years. As has France and England and the US. Japan has had none. Mono-cultural societies is a factor.

I see these terror attacks by Uighur Muslims as desperate attempts to fight back against Communist rule. The Uighurs see them as being mistreated by the Chinese Government, forced to pray in Mandarin and to have a Han Chinese living with them at home so their daily living will be scrutinised.
I also think the re-education concentration camps are plain wrong because the Chinese Government think all Uighurs are potential terrorists, which is not the case.

1 Like

I am currently watching the BBC News coverage have to say… this is just a shambles… I actually feel sorry for her. She’s been trying to get her deal across. I understand there were concerns about the deal, so with a no deal brexit looking likely - what happens to the border between UK and Ireland? That’s been a contentious issue.

My worry is that the will of the people’s original vote is being ignored.

3 Likes

There won’t be Brexit without a deal, the indicative votes earlier in the week made at least that much clear.

I suspect the second round of negotiations (which had been intended to occur during the transition period between now and the end of next year) will need to be settled and integrated into a more detailed exit deal before MPs will support it. Things like a detailed trade agreement, treaties, bilaterals, whatever. May’s deal has left too many doors/risks open (most critically the backstop).

The only way that can happen is with a long extension, and probably a new PM.

1 Like

This is what happens to the border between UK and Ireland

I don’t its the worst deal.

Most people don’t want the vote. The vote was done on a work day where many people who work and would reject the referendum would say no. It was a shambles. If you are going to have a referendum then the whole of the country should have had the best opportunity to vote. Most people DO NOT want Brexit. I even know some that voted for Brexit thinking it would be a certain thing that never eventuated. The public were lied to.

IMO Brexit will never happen. The parliament are putting it off making it look impossible to have an excuse for another referendum with the possibility of it being rejected.

3 Likes

Will a new prime minister have any hope of getting any Brexit legislation passed in the Commons? It seems unlikely.

Theresa May has announced she will step down as British Prime Minister on June 7.