International Politics (non-USA)

Either the first BAME Prime Minister or third female Prime Minister. All female PM’s (if Truss wins) are from the Conservative Party

the new PM will be announced during my London holiday. I’ll be buying up the papers as a bit of a political souvenir.

1 Like

She is also the UK’s third woman to take the Prime Minisistership! Margaret Thatcher, Teresa May and now Liz Truss. It will be interesting to see how she goes with delivering the promises she has made, especially on the energy crisis the UK faces.

1 Like

Theresa May was quite clever in parliament by welcoming Liz Truss and asking how she felt being a woman in power and their only being 3 and all being conservative. She then threw it to Labor and asked why they couldn’t have a female leader. Very clever politics.

Not 100% true with the assertion about Labour not having a female leader, technically Margaret Beckett and Harriet Harman have both served as Acting Leader, but permanent leader yes i can understand May’s statement

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-10-17/labour-leads-tories-by-36-points-in-poll-in-fresh-blow-to-truss

“Total, absolute abject chaos.”

1 Like

Looks like Liz Truss doesn’t have the shelf life of a lettuce. We all thought Australian politics was a shit show.

1 Like

Pity that the late news commercial bulletins have finished.

1 Like

That will make Liz Truss the shortest-serving UK Prime Ministers in history. She was in the office for 44 days.

2 Likes

King Charles when she informed him: “Back again, Oh dear” :wink:

3 Likes

UK politics have been nothing but a joke for the past (almost) decade. Literally every leader they’ve had since May have been embroiled in some form of crisis that has irreversibly damaged each of their reputation. I’m not sure if Rishi Sunak would’ve done any better than Liz in the role.

Makes our merry-go-round of PMs in the last 12 years look like the most stable leadership in the world.

1 Like

God Save Our Lettuce!

3 Likes

Wow - didn’t know I could understand German!

Meanwhile Boris Johnson is cutting short his Caribbean holiday to quickly return to Westminster.