International Politics (non-USA)

The UK needs an election asapā€¦ I cant understand why a single term over there goes for 5 years? way too long.

2 Likes

Fantastic. More of Winnie the Pooh where he just stands there and abuses and shuts down anyone who dares to say anything that is remotely ā€˜pro-Americanā€™ or against the CCP :roll_eyes:

Agree but they wonā€™t sadly. Will be exactly what Scotty did. Drag it out to try absolute end, ie last week of Jan 2025. Looooooong way away. USA election will be Nov 2024 so they will want to avoid that, likely Jan 2025. The political sides in both those two countries will likely switch over in that short period.

Thank god we are past that and our political landscape seems to be set with the current parties in all states and federal for the remainder of this decade at least if not much longer.

Scotty only had a 3 year termā€¦ imagine us living with that disaster for another 2 years.

1 Like

I know. I am just thankful we have cycled that political storm that goes with all the instability and bullshit within the parties at moments in time. UK and USA will be a mess for this entire decade while they continue to knife each other and fight.

If we had five year terms then his first (partial) term would have run until 2021 and we would have gotten rid of him a year earlier.

My ideal would be fixed four year terms which seems to strike the best balance overall.

1 Like

Fixed terms would be good for us. The UK attempted fixed five year terms

thats how long fixed terms are in queensland, which sounds great, but they donā€™t have an upper house as a check. I think in Qld, because of this 3 years is long enough - if the upper house will n0t check the government, that means the people need to do it.

Sunak appears to be in, however remains to be seen for how long. The Right will have a permanent target positioned on his back and expect leaks galore in the coming year.

I think he will take them closely to the next election, or if he does make it right to the next election, Boris will then return soon after. The Right will push it that the party has been destroyed by the kids and Boris is our man to fix it.

Sunak needs to tread water bloody carefully. Gotta feel for the population who need to ride out this mess over the next 2-3 years.

I understand this may be the general sentiment but isnā€™t this just the definition of opinion, not news?

Why would they? No party in the position the Conservatives are in at the moment is going to walk headlong into electoral oblivion of their own choosing.

Like it or not, this Parliament is going to be dragged to the bitter end

No member vote needed.

Liz Truss has made her final speech and is having an audience with the King to formally resign.

1 Like