International News

Here in Buenos Aires, Argentina, I like this promo for the late night news at 10. They also had cool picture-based story graphics in the middle of that lower third. The anchor walks and talks. Wish we had something like this.

1 Like

From the 55th-largest market in the US (554,000 households) with 8½ hours of local news output per weekday…

2 Likes

Wikipedia tells me that the same company operates another station in the same area, and while the newsreaders are different the news reports and reporters are the same on both stations. So they have some economy of scale.

2 Likes

Also, Waterman is a private company and has done fantastically to compete in the markets that they operate. Many other duopolies - even those with two of the Big 3 - don’t go through the pains.

An electrical fire broke out in MSNBC’s Washington DC studios this morning, causing “extensive damage”. Fox News and C-SPAN are in the same building and also suffered some damage.

Fox had Vice President Mike Pence, his Secret Service tail, and former House Speaker Newt Gingrich in the building at the time for “Fox News Sunday”, which they were quickly able to shift across town to an O&O affiliate before air time.

One big difference in the States is that affiliates get to keep the money they earn during non-networked hours.

That’s why there’s big slabs of infomercials during the day, popular syndicated programming, local sports, and lots of news.

Only bigger markets, typically ones with O&O stations, get more topical or non-sports local programming during the day.

2 Likes

And the affiliates get paid to take network programming… a form of rev share.

So different from the Australian model which admittedly only applies to regionals areas since cap city stations are O&Os

Was watching NHK Newsline at work and noticed that the Newsline Bulletin has moved into the Newsroom Tokyo Studio as of this morning

The New Studio

The Old Studio

3 Likes

From TV Forum https://tvforum.uk/forums/post1161797#post-1161797

In Austria, the ORF have built a new studio for the news programmes on ORF eins. The studio was designed by American-Austrian architect Stuart Veech, whose company also designed the current Al Jazeera studios, as well as many previous ORF studios. This new ORF eins studio has lots of square edges, with Veech’s motto being ‘no curves’. There are reportedly seven video walls - four large, three small, all capable of displaying 4K images. The new studio is reportedly 250 square metres in size, with the largest video wall measuring 15 square metres.

The new studio is part of a wider revamp of the news output on ORF eins, which includes a new early-evening news strand, and is set to launch on Monday 8 April. Here are a couple of articles about the revamp, one from a national newspaper, and the other from ORF’s own website. Both are of course in German, so Google Translate might come in handy.

2 Likes

Bit of a fantasy but would LOVE the ABC to have something like this for their news channel.

1 Like

My apologies I also forgot to link your original post. Adjusted above. But great post none the less.

Looks like it was only temporary as they are back in the normal studio which has had a refresh along with openers lower thirds and a few small changes.

The CBS O&O in Boston is once again telecasting the Boston Marathon. Here are a few clips.

As of this post, the last Elite wave (Men’s) is 20 minutes into the run.

There’s an election happening in the province of Alberta in Canada. Global, CTV, and CBC are presenting rolling coverage, while Citytv will be presenting special coverage at 8 PM and 11 PM.

Global is out of the gates early at 7 PM MT (1 hour before polls close). Their coverage is being broadcast out of Global Edmonton’s studios, and is simulcast on Global Edmonton, Global Calgary, Global Lethbridge, Global News Radio, and online.

CBC begins their coverage at 7:30 PM MT from CBC Edmonton’s studios, and is being broadcast on CBC Edmonton, CBC Calgary, and CBC News Network.

CTV will start their coverage at 8 PM MT, not sure if CTV Calgary and CTV Edmonton will have separate coverage.

CTV Edmonton: https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=68597
CTV Calgary: https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=68596&playlistId=1.4380507&binId=1.1201914&playlistPageNum=1

Citytv will have province wide coverage out of their Citytv Calgary studios. They won’t have rolling coverage, according to the TV listings. The news specials will air from 8-9 PM, and 11 PM onwards.

2 Likes

Some caps of the start of “News 15 at 9” following the US Open golf on Fox affiliate KADN in Lafayette, Louisiana.

I think the last one was supposed to have a photo of the victim. There were also a couple other stories in the opening headlines but I didn’t get to snap them quickly enough.

2 Likes

Side note: those graphics have been deployed at several US stations owned by media group Meredith, including KPTV in Portland, Oregon, WGCL in Atlanta, and WHNS, Greensville, South Carolina.

2 Likes

Double posting on a different note (sorry!), this one being Hong Kong. It’s been a weird TV landscape in the past few years, so I want to reflect that in as short a post as I can bear (it’s long). YouTube clips will come at the best of my ability to look for them.

Before 2016, we had TVB and ATV as the only options in the market, both commercial. As part of their license agreement, each were obligated to take up minimal amounts of programming from public broadcaster RTHK and provide two channels with Cantonese content separate from English and Mandarin programming, though shows in other Asian languages were also placed in that second channel as well. Both had news services in all 3 official dialects, though they were only required to produce a minimum of two 20-minute bulletins per evening in Cantonese and English (AFAIK).

TVB, being first and locally held, usually took anywhere from 60-90 share with its primetime dramas, soap operas, gameshows and news coverage.

The theme music you hear below has been around in different forms for the past 3 decades and in the latest form for 2 decades.

ATV, which had previously gone under the Rediffusion label and has had many owners in its life, had its hits and misses (when they missed, you could tell as they would heavily rely on news programming), but ultimately died in a slow and painful fashion until the government, citing failure to meet quality thresholds, revoked its license. It ended transmission in 2016 after lagging behind on employee payments and not being able to produce newscasts for weeks.

Shortly after, telco PCCW took on the FTA launched ViuTV and built up cheap local programming from its Now cable assets - including simulcast bulletins from its 24-hour news channel. The clips below features a new, over-the-top graphical look from late last year (they seem to go through them every couple years), but the music has been around basically since the news channel’s founding. Pry hard enough, you’ll find music sources for all of these channels on YouTube.

In Cantonese, Now News has morning and midday programs plus 6pm and 7pm half-hour segments (the 7pm slot was originally placed at 8pm), then another inexplicably at something like 2:30am. I would not have gone into explaining its schedule if it weren’t for its odd scheduling.

It does not have in-house English news resources, so those newscasts have been outsourced to the Hong Kong offices of Reuters - one at 7pm, the other later on, but usually around 10:30.

At the same time, RTHK, which had been testing TV broadcasts, also came on the air. Its programming schedule is more spartan, matching its more limited resources (it’s no ABC). It generally airs VO-only news programs (using its longtime TOTH radio bulletin sounder to lead off), though it does have a hosted morning program.

In 2016, the city’s original cable provider, i-Cable, also got an FTA license, and launched as Fantastic Television the next year before coming under new ownership and rebranding as Hong Kong Open TV. Its news service also utilizes the company’s 24-hour cable news channel for Cantonese bulletins.

Yes, that is Frank Gari’s News Series 2000 Plus music package, as made famous by WLS in Chicago. It was around when i-Cable News launched in 1993, replaced in 2000, then brought back in 2009.

In 2018, i-Cable finally launched an English/Mandarin service, the Hong Kong International Business Channel. HKIBC mainly relays Bloomberg programming with a couple periods of CGTN daily as well as in-house business programs in both languages. i-Cable built an in-house English news service.

So, from the crater of the only other commercial FTA station to having 3 of them total and a dedicated public TV service…

7 Likes

Thanks for the comprehensive post. ATV had provided an abridged version of its 6pm main news (without international reports due to copyright seasons) to SBS from 1994 to 2007, as part of the latter’s Worldwatch service. ATV News were usually shown at Tuesday to Saturday mornings, although at one stage it aired at Sunday and Monday mornings as well. The bulletin was usually 15 minutes long and included finance report near the end.
In mid 2007 TVB replaced ATV as provider of Cantonese news to SBS to this day with the 6.30pm news from previous night. The TVB bulletin is also an abridged version at 15 minutes long, is broadcast daily at 6.10am on SBS Viceland, but without finance report. The full bulletin is available to subscribers of TVB’s pay TV service in Australia (which became streaming service TVB Anywhere in 2017).

1 Like

I still owe this thread my NY1 explainer, but it’s just as well that I plainly say that this story has a good chunk here:

Changes have taken place since Charter came to acquire Time Warner Cable (not to be confused with Time Warner, owner of CNN, etc., that got bought out by AT&T) - it can be argued some for the good, a lot for the bad.

1 Like

With Robert Mueller testifying at the same time Boris Johnson was visiting the Queen and officially taking office, it’s good to see CNN making good use of CNN International running completely separate coverage to CNN US.

There is almost blanket coverage of the Mueller testimony on US television. CNN, Fox News, MSNBC, BBC World, ABC, CBS, NBC are all covering it. Fox Broadcast is not. Fox Business and CNBC are discussing a multibillion dollar fine for Facebook.

3 Likes