International News

Incredibly perky for 4:30am. By the way, I suggested the name “Wake Up” before there was a “Wake Up” on Ten :wink:

1 Like

It’s only the most generic name in history for a TV morning show, so you were hardly the first. :wink:

Um no it’s not generic considering only a handful of American stations call their morning news that - and Ten’s short-lived version was the only example here. It’s actually one of the least generic examples of a morning TV newscast.

Krazy KTLA fun - by the way, this is some of their secret ratings sauce right here!

3 Likes

Sky News - in the old days. I love old-fashioned real sets, video walls and low-key anchors:

Now THIS is a weather report

Move over Paul Burt - this is how you report bad weather.

2 Likes

Ireland’s TV3 has been renamed VirginMedia1…

1 Like

From the logical TV3, 3e and Be3 to Virgin Media One, Virgin Media Two and Virgin Media Three. Gross.

4 Likes

EMTV in PNG is still using a very familiar news theme.

3 Likes

That virtual set!

3 Likes

Er yeah, they were once a Nine owned and operated.

1 Like

Get Up DC - WUSA 9

I find this very interesting - this is where TV is going. Very localised, personalised shows that try to hook viewers and gain loyalty by engaging them authentically. This is what Ten should do for breakfast.

3 Likes

Well, it’s definitely part of a hyperlocal strategy.

WUSA broadcasts from 4-7a with the first two hours running as the more conventional newscast, “Wake Up Washington.” There’s generally less nonsense there, I suspect, to serve the many federal workers in the DC area that have early call times. The 6am revamp was very recent.

TEGNA, the owner group formerly known as Gannett, has been pushing heavily for out-of-the-box moves to target younger demos in an industry that’s setting its audience wrinkle up. Group stations now have simple shapes and local backdrops for graphics with music that’s very doo-wop. Look a clip up if you don’t believe me.

Does having an actual comedian host a local morning news program work out for Washington? I’ll tell ya this, it allows the show to have someone who is able to strongly opine on subjects without looking out of place because he’s a journalist. He’s not. But he does have personality in a town where personality counts. The late Jim Vance of channel 4 - who was actually a journalist - can attest to that. But if personality is the biggest thing that counts with the 6am audience, the metrics can only be taken from there.

I can tell you that this would not fly at Big Three affiliates in other markets, many of them smaller than #10.

4 Likes

When you post news updates on YouTube and they appear in your feed with auto-generated closed captioning…

6 Likes

Looks like Fuji Television in Japan had an overhaul to their news programs earlier this year. Rarely seen in Japanese TV, but common in Western, is a unified look and name for news programs. All of Fuji TV’s news programs are under the moniker Prime News.

Prime News Days - 11.30am morning bulletin
Prime News Evening - 4.50pm evening bulletin
Prime News Alpha - 11.40pm late night bulletin
Prime Sunday - 7.30am bulletin on Sunday mornings

3 Likes

Interesting studio I am still a fan of NHK World

1 Like