International News

Very strange new format for the CBC’s national nightly newscast…

It’s gone from a traditional news bulletin to an indescribable newsmagazine format hosted simultaneously from three cities at once…

6 Likes

Absolutely awful. Political correctness makes you insane.

1 Like

Don’t like the headlines, nor the lower thirds (not that they’re lower thirds, given they form up in the middle of the screen). The rest of the graphics look far too much like a Microsoft Office template.

That said: as a format, it isn’t as awful as I thought it might be, thought it will be interesting to see how long it lasts.

2 Likes

Umm, a brown presenter =/= political correctness

6 Likes

I’m just saying that show is now insane.

1 Like

yeah have to agree with you there. quite like the whole calmness about it all, I felt I was being taught what happened, not just informed. Ian is honestly such a good presenter and the right choice for this show.

Hope Ian and Adrienne have more onscreen time, instead of the interview-like segment at the 45 minute mark.

How’s it insane? Sure, it’s a bit slower and goes into more detail and is presented in 3 different locations, but what makes it a crazy show?

3 Likes

Here’s an idea - have the news presented standing and give the weather (and sports) presenter a desk!

1 Like

I am sure somebody more worldly than I will know where this is from, but how about those openers and that amazing big set!

2 Likes

The characters are Hebrew so I’m assuming it’s an Israeli broadcaster?

Gorgeous sets. The smaller one would be fantastic for Seven or Sky here.

1 Like

It’s Hebrew so must be Israel.

This might help

1 Like

Great sets and graphics.

Benjamin Netanyahu is a corrupt war criminal who should be imprisoned.

I particularly like the round desk.

3 Likes

One portion there at 2:15 is in Arabic, they must also do an Arabic language bulletin…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cH_P89FzWs0 This is amazing…

TV9 Telugu News, India, live coverage of the Andhra Pradesh state budget. A ‘megawall’ that seems to serve a purpose unlike the Seven Sport megawall.

Here is a compilation of the 6:00 local newscasts from Toronto covering the van attack that killed 10 people on April 23. Global and Citytv broke to a commercial break after 12 minutes; CBC after 15 minutes; CTV after 30 minutes. To be fair to Citytv and Global, they have local news at 5 PM (1 hour) and 5:30 PM (30 minutes) respectively.

Regarding the overall coverage from local broadcasters, it was disappointing to see none of the commercial stations break into regular programming to cover this incident; CTV and Global only provided news briefs throughout the afternoon until their scheduled newscasts in the 5 PM hour began. CBC Toronto simulcasted CBC News Network at 5 PM then continued on with their local news at 6 PM. All the rolling coverage was left to the national cable networks (CBC News Network, CTV News Channel) and the 24-hour Toronto news channel CP24.

KDVR FOX 31 Denver - pretty epic

In my hometown of Boston, WBZ has been one of the more innovative stations around. One thing pretty cool that they’ve started doing in the past year is not only plotting out more a fairly decent amount of time in their last block (relative to other US local newscasts that all too often crash into the next program or find themselves padding out desperately) and then taking the effort to create a package for whatever fluff or feature story they’re doing and then brand the segment.

I think The Last Minute is a nice touch.

Incredibly sad about Anthony Bourdain. RIP.

CNN Breaking News Intro

Kudos to Alisyn Camerota for her authenticity and grace - as always - on a very tough report. Also, their breaking news theme and backdrop is quite stunning.

2 Likes

France 2 Journal 1994

Thought this was stunning as a kid.