International News

CTV Morning Live airs on CTV O&Os in Western Canada (Stingray-owned CITL Lloydminster airs a delayed version of Your Morning, which airs as CTV’s morning show in the eastern half of the country), and on CTV2 in Ottawa and Atlantic Canada. CICC Yorkton relays CKCK Regina’s edition (they air half-hour local news at noon and 6pm, and from Regina at other times), with CIPA Prince Albert picking up CFQC Saskatoon’s edition (same arrangement applies as CICC, with CFQC as the partner). CTV’s western O&O’s pick up Your Morning live from the network in the early morning, until the start of Morning Liive at 6am local. Your Morning also airs live nationally on CTV News Channel.

Another oddball…CKPR Thunder Bay airs local news in the evenings, but from CJOH Ottawa in other slots- as to why thet carry CJOH and not from Winnipeg or Sudbury, your guess is as good as mine :laughing:

3 Likes

Flemish VRT’s news has had a light refresh:

2 Likes

The Thunder Bay situation is a bit of an unusual one though, as it’s a locally-owned solus operator running two channels (the other being CHFD which carries Global). Prior to 2010-2011 these were CBC and CTV/secondary Global respectively.

(Actually the same situation as your Lloydminster example, although the local owners are a bit smaller than Stingray is - as much as Stingray, like the company it took over in Newcap, is much more a radio company than TV and CITL/CKSA are the only TV stations they own.)

Digressing though… Thunder Bay is way out in the middle of nowhere - obviously closer to Winnipeg than anything very populated in Ontario - but it’s still Ontario I guess, and Winnipeg’s coverage of Manitoba provincial politics may not be relevant to them. Also possible that the CTV Northern Ontario broadcast out of Sudbury [its closest station being in Sault Ste. Marie, about as far away as it is to Winnipeg] is too “local” to that region.

So finding an appropriate bulletin to cover wider provincial matters and complement their own local news would be a curious one. As it stands, they take Ottawa’s CTV news on CKPR, but some of Toronto’s Global (CIII) news on CHFD - which probably gives enough of a choice over the air. (CBC is a cable-only thing there, and they get the Toronto service.)

2 Likes

After more than two decades, RTL Aktuell has a non-virtual set:

3 Likes

Looks like NHK News is going for consistent news branding while retaining each bulletin’s individual identity.

5 Likes
2 Likes

In Italy, RAI News 24 has a new set designed by the famed architect Renzo Piano:

2 Likes

that’s cool… kinda looks like an apple shop!

Meh, not a fan.

A news set should be more than just four walls with screens on them and a desk.

Why?

In Canada, the Quebec provincial election took place on October 3, 2022. The French TV networks in Quebec (Radio-Canada, TVA, Noovo), as well as the local English stations in Montreal (CBC, CTV, Global) produced rolling coverage of the election results.

3 Likes

Nova TV in Croatia has a new look, complete with a revolving set:

4 Likes

Global News in Canada has introduced new graphics and music for its TV and streaming newscasts. Below is a clip from the noon newscasts from CHEX Peterborough, CKWS Kingston, and Global Toronto/Montreal.

4 Likes

I dig the graphics and theme. The old gfx pack was looking quite dated.

1 Like

And here’s the Montreal edition of Global News Morning:

1 Like

A couple more videos from Global’s new graphics launch…

The new opener and music to Global National, the network’s flagship national newscast:

And the open to the national newscasts that air between the live local newscasts on Global’s free streaming news service:

3 Likes

Something anout Global’s look has always looked a little hokey and small town to me. even for major market staff like national and Montreal.

Im not sure if they do all their GFX in house - I suspect so, maybe it is done in a smaller market like Calgary or something.

Something about it I just can’t pt my finger on it - makes it feel a little small town to me.

1 Like

Most likely it was all done in-house. They do have a graphics hub in Toronto (https://www.globalgfx.ca/).

Side note, Montreal is probably one of Global’s smallest stations - even though Montreal is a city of 4 million+ people, the English speaking population is smaller than Winnipeg. Plus, CFCF/CTV dominates viewership with the Anglophone community there. There’s only a small newsroom and cramped virtual studio there.

2 Likes

The news from KVF in the Faroe Islands, a self-governing Danish territory in the North Atlantic:

1 Like

Does Global Toronto have a permanent anchor at 6 or is it on rotation?

How does Global rank in that market? Assume CTV dominates and City has seen big falls in recent years.

1 Like