International News

The news on TV2 in Norway has a new look:

After 30 years, Newswatch on GBC in the British Overseas Territory of Gibraltar was rebranded as GBC News last month. The final edition of Newswatch included this look back at the newscast’s various visual identities over the years:

3 Likes

Here’s a sizzle reel for TV2’s new look. All of it keeps with the spirit of the previous logo’s attention to negative space:

3 Likes

The premiere of Hallie Jackson Now on NBC News Now:

From Russia, the news on Telekanal Zvezda, a channel run by the Ministry of Defense:

1 Like
1 Like

More new NBC News Now graphics:

4 Likes

A special lockdown edition of the news on Austria’s Servus TV:

1 Like

The Vancouver edition of CTV Morning Live from CIVT:

The 5 p.m. edition of the news from Toronto’s news channel CP24, simulcast on CTV station CFTO:

1 Like

How does CTV morning live rate in Vancouver?
Historically I think Global dominates… but City Tv canned their local breakfast show. Can we conclude then that CTV is second and hence why city axed their show?

1 Like

A promo for CTV News Calgary (CFCN):

Studio Aperto on Italia 1, now produced by Mediaset’s news channel TGcom24, has a new look:

In Portugal, the news channel TVI24 has relaunched as CNN Portugal. This is what the switch looked like:

2 Likes

From the CBC News Network in Canada, here’s Canada Tonight with Ginella Massa:

2 Likes

Staying in Canada, Your Morning on CTV has new graphics:

2 Likes

Something interesting is happening in Detroit, USA

ViacomCBS which owns the CBS station there (CBS62) is launching a local Detroit newsroom for the first time in 20 years.

Currently CBS62 Detroit is the ONLY Top 20 market network owned station without local news I the whole USA

Detroit is the 13th largest TV market with around 5 million people (Same size as MEL and SYD)

What’s really interesting is ViacomCBS is actually launching CBS News Detroit - a streaming first digital streaming news service that will run 4am-11.35pm for around 180 hours a week. CBS62 Detroit (the TV station) will then simulcast the streaming news service for newscasts during the traditional local news times of 4am-7am, 4pm, 6pm and 11pm.

But the operation will be a digital first streaming newsroom

I really like how the Americans think forward like this:

“We view this as an unprecedented opportunity to start from scratch at a large-market, network-owned station and build the newsroom of the future – where we focus first on streaming and then have our content flow like water across our linear broadcast, digital and social media platforms,”

6 Likes

EDIT: Whoops, there was a history in the Variety piece! I got excited just seeing the clip and started spewing out what I remembered from long ago! Don’t mind me.

All this stems from Fox’s acquisition of New World Communications in 1994 where legacy Big 3 affiliates were going to flip over to Fox and ownership groups all over the country were left scrambling to chase down new deals as dominoes fell.

Detroit was about the worst of it that CBS got with its O&O operations - Channel 2 was a New World CBS station going to Fox, Channel 7 was Scripps-owned and got a group deal to stick with ABC, and Channel 4, owned then by Post-Newsweek, was firmly stuck and happy with NBC. CBS couldn’t even get smaller network affiliates and independents. Channel 62, Black-owned and serving community programming with a signal barely reaching Detroit’s city radius, did bite. CBS got a new tower and more wattage immediately and “Detroit 62 CBS” as it was announced (62 CBS Detroit in text).

CBS acquired Viacom in 1999 (they split several years later, so that explains the recent recombination) and that made 62 sister to UPN-owned Channel 50 which had a decent news operation. They were spun up to provide news for both channels, but with poor ratings all around, closed down in 2002.

CBS attempted to restart some news output in the late 2000’s first by introducing a weather forecast at 11pm (presumably along with other weather breaks in the primetime schedule), then starting First Forecast Mornings which focused on weather and traffic and some news provided by the paper in town, The Detroit Free Press. That lasted for a few years before it, too, was cancelled. Irony is, CBS also owns the all-news radio station in town and that does decent ratings.

Besides mandatory public affairs programming, there was no news on CBS 62 or the now CW50 between 2013 and 2020. That was when CBS hired a few MMJs for a 10pm newscast produced and anchored out of the Dallas O&O using CBSN Local graphics and sound. And that has seemingly paved the way for this.

Detroit, despite its ailments, is simply still too large not to have a fourth news operation in town. I think the organization is a good idea. Not sure about the distribution channels. Might want to think as much about new verticals as possible.

4 Likes

If CBSViacom sees pouring money into and starting a news operation from scratch and building a newsroom to produce a streaming news channel running 4am-1130pm for a market of just 5 millio as a good investment…

Why they couldn’t do the same with a news division that already has 6 newsrooms in operation producing content for a market of 25 million.

Would need far less start up funds. Less risky with a brand and operation and awareness already in place. Could live on Paramount + and be sold as a live Australian news channel to drive p+ take up… and would make 10 News as News operation actually make sense. Producing 17 hours of news content a day instead of 5

Is it that Australians don’t think big? No one from 10 Has taken a business idea like this to VIACOMCBS for funding?

Can’t see how the business plan for 5 million people would make sense but 25 million would not

1 Like

They’ll start cheap and, most importantly, all new. It’ll be its own little fishbowl until it either fizzles on or there are milestones to its merits.

Other operations will be status quo until the latter happens. Changing established workflows and operations is always a groan and ViacomCBS is already a dinosaur at adaptation if it’s not forced to.

Yet they’ve launched like a dozen steaming ness channels in 2 years

2 Likes

Easy to dispose of, selling or wind down, depending on its success.

Why would they… there is no incentive to. Management get paid nice wage to keep the network in cruse control mode. No one wants to take the risk.

I think that be over simplifying it.

Management is paid to grow revenue and grow the Business.

That means new things. That always means risk. Every show 10 launch or any network is a risk.

I don’t think ViacomCBS wants its Australian operations in cruise mode - they want to be growing digital and streaming ventures ro grow revenue and offset FTA losses. That is ViacomCBS whole mantra, with paramount + in US, UK, AU. They’re investing $5 b in content. They’ve also launched 12 local streaming news channels in the US that are streaming only - again, because they are going all in on streaming knowing FTA is declining

The incentive for Australian management is to grow revenue and grow P+ subs in Australia.

A 24 hour streaming news channel on P+ would do this. They have a news operation already in place. Taking existing content, reorganizing workflows to produce more gong eh una digital streaming first format is exactly what big IS media companies are about now.

If the Australian management want to keep their jobs this is the kind of thing TV eh should be doing.

Im surprised someone in the US hasn’t picked up the phone to Sydney and said “listen, my small stations in Salt Lake City and Minnesota are running 24 hour streaming news channels for 3 million people. How come you guys can’t do that at 10 with 25 million people? Get back to me with a plan please”

M1, Hungary: