Instant Hotel

House Rules judge Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen checks into Seven’s Instant Hotel

Design icon LLB to host and judge second season of INSTANT HOTEL in 2019.

With a work schedule that has him frequently traversing the globe, LLB has developed a sharp eye for what makes or breaks a hotel room, a skill he’s looking to put to good use as host and judge of Seven’s successful INSTANT HOTEL.

“I live in hotels rather than at home these days, so I have an enormous amount of experience and believe it or not, a few opinions!” says the London born style expert who has also designed hotel interiors in London and Thailand.

In his new role, LLB will travel to some of Australia’s most amazing locations in search of Australia’s best Instant Hotel – from lush tropical rainforests, to romantic wine country, pristine coastal havens and the majestic Outback with fellow judge and award-winning designer JULIET ASHWORTH .

Looking forward to exploring more of Australia, LLB says he finds the Instant Hotel concept “fascinating” and a refreshing alternative to the traditional hotel experience.

“Instant Hotel gives you the opportunity to look at where people live and judge for yourself whether it is an experience you want to share in.

“You could go to an international hotel chain and get the same ‘beige’. And it’s a very relaxing and wonderful experience, but the joy of an Instant Hotel is to feel you are inhabiting someone else’s life for a couple of days.

“You are escaping who you are and what you do and immersing yourself into the experience of how somebody else lives,” explains LLB. “From a design point of view, its great fun to be able to see how people’s personalities are expressed in an Instant Hotel offer.”

Tapping into the massive worldwide trend of holiday home rentals, INSTANT HOTEL sees teams of two compete for the title of best Instant Hotel.

Teams score each other on; the house, location and local attractions, value for money and the all-important quality of the night’s sleep. Each hotel will be scored out of 10 by the teams and the judges.

They’ll explore some of the most diverse and beautiful locations in Australia and get to know their quirky competitors a little better along the way. And, as contestants soon find out, like most travel adventures, what might seem like a dream online is not always what you’ll find upon arrival.

He’s more tolerable than I thought on HR. But putting him on both increases the risk of over-exposure.

2 Likes

New promo for season 2 shown during the cricket today, with teams enjoying sightseeing in different parts of Australia. I reckon it must have been filmed in the past few months in between LLB’s House Rules commitments?

Promos say “coming soon”. How do we think this might be scheduled?

I’m thinking they might schedule it alongside MKR after the instant restaurant rounds.

So MKR runs Sunday to Tuesday and then Instant Hotels runs Wednesday & Thursday. In the same way Ten does Survivor/The Bachelor.

3 Likes

I think MKR will run Sunday-Wednesday with Instant Hotel on Thursdays.

2 Likes

Yeah I think either they will have it air Wednesday- Thursday or just Thursdays.

1 Like

It sounds a bit overkill to me having two similar concept shows on at the same time (i.e. people visiting other peoples house and judging them). Also shows like MKR are a huge enough commitment as is so I’m not sure if many will want to get hooked on another show at the same time. I could be wrong and MKR might benefit Instant Hotel but it just seems like strange scheduling to me. Maybe Instant Hotel will only be on once a week.

1 Like

New promo aired tonight during My Kitchen Rules, with a sneak peek of a team’s home in a cave in Coober Pedy, South Australia. It confirms the second season will premiere in February.
I reckon it will premiere on Thursday February 21, the week after Big Bash League first semi-final.

EDIT: if Seven chooses to air Instant Hotel on Thursdays, it will have to move the show after four weeks at least in Melbourne and Adelaide, due to the start of AFL premiership season on March 21 and another four Thursday night games after that. Instant Hotel could air on Wednesdays from February 28, leaving My Kitchen Rules on Sundays-Tuesdays.

I don’t know how it will fit on Thursdays with the AFL and Home and Away most likely needing double or triple episodes by then as well. More likely it will air a couple nights of the week off the back of MKR but that just feels like such a dud scheduling decision. They probably just want to burn it off somewhere and hope MKR can give it a bit of a boost. Surely they will at least wait until the MKR home restaurant rounds are over before airing this, otherwise it’s too similar.

If they wanted to burn it off they wouldn’t have invested in LLB hosting it. Presume he cost more than Luke.

I can’t see how airing it after MKR would work either, or on Thursday’s. It could potentially air at 8 on a Sunday if the MKR episodes are 60 minutes long, but highly doubt that. 8.30 onwards is too late for a show like this to be airing as far as I’m concerned.

1 Like

By my calculations, February 28 is the first night after the MKR instant restaurant rounds, including the cook-off for two bottom placed teams in each group.

If this show premieres while Changing Rooms is on then both shows will suffer, particularly if it airs in the intended Wednesday/Thursday slot, as the audience is far too similar.

Season 2 premieres next Monday (February 11) at 9pm according to a promo shown tonight (Sunday 3/2) during My Kitchen Rules.

Shock decision. I don’t think viewers will like back-to-back reality shows on one channel on any night. But at least it stays away from Wednesdays and Thursdays when Changing Rooms will be on 10.

3 Likes

9pm? What a stupid time, they obviously dont want to go up against MAFS and have no where else to put it with MKR on every night. at 9pm you would think the show would be a little more adult then a stock standard reality show lol

3 Likes

MKR doesn’t air on Thursdays so Instant Hotel could have gone there. But it will be up against Changing Rooms in week 2.

1 Like

Don’t Seven need Thursdays for AFL and the magnitude of H&A episodes that they will need to catch up on?

I actually think that if promoted properly, Instant Hotel could do just as well if not better than MKR is currently doing. I’m sure it’s a short season (if it’s like last maybe 12 episodes?) so they could have possibly kept it for Easter break or launched the year with it before jumping into MKR.

3 Likes

It should have been put to air in October and November last year after The Block ended.

3 Likes

Maybe it might have been easier for you to watch then but they didn’t need it because they had already won the year. They need programs now.

It’s no different to Nine running Travel Guides after MAFS.

1 Like

Finally Seven has put a promo online with date and time.

1 Like