Insiders

Next Sunday (9 June) is Barrie’s last day hosting Insiders.

1 Like

farewell to a great host !

2 Likes

It certainly will be.
I assume there will be fill-in hosts until the end of the year, or when David Speers is ready to join Insiders?

2 Likes

As we discussed earlier in this thread Speers is still under contract with Sky so eventually he will be hosting.
Barrie said he will be here eventually… I think we will have fill in hosts the rest of this year… Michael Rowland, Fran Kelly etc.

2 Likes

A promo for Barrie’s final show started airing yesterday.

1 Like

If the ABC knew there was a possibility that Speers wouldn’t be able to host Insiders until next year (as it’s now been confirmed), wonder whether they should have tried to see if Cassidy could/would be willing to continue hosting the program until the end of the year?

I say this because it would have prevented the show now going through the TV equivalent of a ‘lame duck’ period with needing to have fill-in hosts present for an extended period

4 Likes

No Insiders viewer is going to perceive Annabel Crabb or Fran Kelly as “lame duck” hosts.

1 Like

Of course not - both will be great fill-in hosts. My ‘lame duck’ comment is not about who the fill-ins are but how the show will be in somewhat of a ‘holding’ pattern until next year instead of being able to have a smooth changeover/transition from Cassidy to Speers

4 Likes

I would say Spears might take some time off before commencing.

It says that he’s moving to Melbourne, does he really need too?

Maybe he wants to.

2 Likes
1 Like

Indeed, Canberra is nice but he’s been there a long time!

David Speers joins the ABC as the host of Insiders

David Speers will join ABC NEWS as presenter of premier political discussion program Insiders .

A two-time Walkley Award winner for his political interviewing, Speers has been at Sky News Australia since 2000 and is currently its Political Editor.

“David is a terrific journalist and presenter, an astute political observer and a great talent. He joins Australia’s best and most trusted political journalism team,” said ABC Director News Gaven Morris.

“We are delighted to welcome him to this key role as the successor to the great Barrie Cassidy.”

Speers will move to Melbourne to take up the chair at Insiders from early 2020, working with Executive Producer Sam Clark.

Insiders is essential viewing if you’re interested in politics and understanding how Australia is being led,” Speers said.

“I never miss it. To be able to take over from a legend, Barrie Cassidy, and present the program is an honour and a terrific opportunity.”

After presenting Insiders since its launch, Cassidy announced earlier this year he would be moving on from the role, with his farewell program this Saturday 9 June.

The ABC’s Annabel Crabb and Fran Kelly will share the presenting duties on Insiders for the remainder of 2019.

3 Likes

Sunday 9 June

Goodbye Barry!

1 Like

On News Breakfast this morning Virginia Trioli recalled the early years of Insiders when she use to be a panellist.

Looks like they’re using that ugly rug and coffee table still!

1 Like

The set was better in the old days though!

1 Like

Agree, the living room type set up does look better than just plonking them in an empty studio in front of a screen.

Hopefully with Speers taking the reins next year and some set improvements happening at the ABC, we may see a refreshed set - but I won’t hold my breath.