Incident at Flinders Street Station (Melbourne)

Front and back pages of tomorrow’s Hearld Sun (1st edition)

3 Likes

Fair enough. There’s no point having rolling coverage when nothing is happening in but extended newsbreaks on the hour would probably make sense.

10 Likes

Front page of The Australian.

The opener of ABC7 San Francisco’s 11PM news bulletin had a short report on the incident. (Broadcast 6pm AEDT time)

6 Likes

On Australia’s number 1 news website:

14 Likes

Wow, bad PR for Jeep there…

5 Likes

Virginia Trioli at Flinders Street this morning

2 Likes

News Breakfast doing a great job this morning

2 Likes

Front page of The Age today:

Interesting discussion on Melbourne radio this morning. Many believe changes to intersections, pedestrian crossings and more bollards are the way forward.

Police Minister Lisa Neville also said the new emergency warning PA system was ready to go, but wasn’t required in the end, due to the undercover Police officer ending the situation quickly.

Acting Chief Commissioner Shane Patton says a Police presence will remain at the Elizabeth St tram terminal outside Flinders St Station today, as well as plans for further Police presence at Carols by Candlelight and Boxing Day Test than already promised.

Viewing figures for the coverage yesterday saw ratings for Melbourne news bulletins and current affairs programs generally below usual viewing levels. However. the ABC News Channel rated 2% higher than normal. The coverage was clearly not appreciated.

Big problems for Seven, with the 6pm news hour recording its lowest Thursday audience for at least two years (I only checked 2016 and 2017).

There was also little interest in the 8.30 pm coverage.

5 Likes

The whole 7pm coverage on ABC was awful. Stayner looked way out of his depth

4 Likes

Ummm… There was next to no coverage on the commercial networks.

I think with the ABC up 2% it shows people wanted more coverage, but as there was little on the commercials they went to ABC as it is reliable.

3 Likes

This evenings bulletins;

Ten Eyewitness News Melbourne

Nine News Melbourne

5 Likes

Didn’t 7 and 9 both put on extra bulletins at 8.30pm?

6 Likes

Yeah, 15 minute bulletins. Which in my view, is still next to no coverage.

As I said. If something like this happened in England, Europe or the USA there would have been rolling coverage.

if they only had enough material to warrant 15 minutes then what’s the justification in mounting mountainous hours of saturation coverage. Hours and hours of the same handful of stats?

Consider too that news outlets could well be operating on skeleton staff at the moment being the festive season and what is normally a fairly quiet news cycle

17 Likes

Probably why they sent Chris Reason down here today

4 Likes

The new acquisition appears to be a handy resource for CBS during breaking news events in Australia.

Nick Etchells “of our partner network Ten Australia” reporting for CBS This Morning:

03 pm

NBC Today used Bill Neely in London to report on the incident.

21 Likes

WTF? Isn’t London further away from Melbourne than the US?