Incident at Flinders Street Station (Melbourne)

NBC News has used Seven journos in the past to report on news from Australia. Would’ve been interesting to see Mike Amor reporting from Australia for an American audience.

9 Likes

In Melbourne, 6pm Nine News rated lower than usual, 7pm ABC News rated lower than usual, 6pm Seven News was one of Seven’s lowest rated Thursday bulletin ever! Special 8.30pm bulletins were smashed in the ratings. How can such low ratings mean that viewers want more coverage? Seems pretty clear that what they got was too much. After watching the first 5-10 minutes of the main bulletin there were few new developments to report.

9 Likes

7.30 on ABC did a 10 minute report and live cross and to be honest it covered pretty much all that was known

1 Like

Newshub used the Seven News Melbourne report whilst Gemma Coombe done the live cross from ATN (Seven Sydney) as ‘Newshub Reporter’

5 Likes

Should 7 have uploaded this footage, and with their branding? https://au.news.yahoo.com/vic/a/38381568/flinders-street-melbourne-attack-new-footage/

As seen on Seven News

Ten had a story on how the incident received OS coverage

1 Like

I feel showing the impact to be a step too far.

7 Likes

Agree, I saw this yesterday morning on Sunrise while I was at the gym and thought it was pretty distasteful and unnecessary to show it.

click bait. pure and simple.

In the rush to be first and ‘best’ 7 and 9 are going to all sorts of lengths. I think the public will backlash soon and the more conservative bulletins (2 and 10) will pick up.

1 Like

I think it’s reasonable to show the footage at an appropriate time (evening news bulletin - NOT breakfast TV), but I think it’s totally disrespectful and unprofessional to watermark the footage with that obnoxious scroller.

The clip does show one thing, though - that car never got anywhere near the 80km/h or 100km/h quoted by people on the street.

It only had a 50-100 metre standing start. At most, it impacted the pedestrians probably somewhere about 40-60km/h.

2 Likes

Bingo. It’s so opportunistic for Seven and Nine to try to promote themselves by slapping logos over footage of a tragedy.

the footage has no place on any news bulletin anywhere any time.

1 Like