Imparja Television

Imparja could buy programs from Nine and show them on Imparja.

Imparja could also go in an agreement with Three (TV3) and air Newshub as well as other TV3 programs.

There would be problems with Dr Phil for example where Ten Central has the rights to it.

Imparja has one non-Nine Network program on-air at the moment which is one of those travel shows (probably supplied free), apart from infomercials and paid religious programs, if my reading of the guide is correct. They can’t afford to run news, and their only apparently scheduled Aboriginal program is a music series late this year that will also be on NITV. Imparja has stated that Gem and Go! lose money, and they probably are losing money on their share of One and Eleven. How could they possibly program their own station when they are barely profitable.

Is there a big demand for New Zealand news bulletins in the outback of Australia?

1 Like

Yes. Second only to demand for Dr Phil.

10 Likes

They would likely have rights issues/conflicts where Newshub uses the resources of other (non-NZ) news organisations.

1 Like

Ludicrous idea.

5 Likes

The media ownership reform and expected network buyouts will never work for all regions. You’ve also got to ask the same questions with all the joint-venture markets. Would we see Seven and Nine co-owning Ten in Darwin, for example? What about Nine WA/Mildura? These markets aren’t big enough to carry all three networks and I can’t imagine Seven, Nine or Ten would be happy to also operate a JV (playout, sales, infrastructure, etc).

I think there will always be a need for regional station ownership in these areas, but in an environment post-media reform where everything is shaken up, it’s likely that we’d see these markets reduced to solus markets like SA before anything else. In Remote Central & Eastern’s case, without Imparja, SCA would likely become the sole player, dissolving CDT and operating all three affiliations.

ICTV (which is operated by Imparja anyway) would not be a viable operation on its own if it couldn’t piggyback off an existing established network. Maybe if they got funding they could strike a deal with SCA?

2 Likes

Who dictates whether a market is “big enough”? In the case of Griffith and Mildura, what if they were absorbed into the regional NSW and Vic stations (Prime7 and WIN already own Mildura, could they sell the JV?).

In Darwin’s case, why couldn’t all three stations be separately owned with the JV sold off to WIN for example?

Our government.

Probably because there’s only ~140k people in Darwin. There would be less chance of survival if a third network was allowed to operate there.

1 Like

Okay, I think I’m beginning to understand now.

If it were permitted by ACMA, would there still be a good change of survival if Mildura JV was sold to SCA, and all three Mildura stations were merged into regional Victoria? What was the reason behind Mildura not being aggregated into regional Victoria despite being owned by the same affiliates in both markets?

STV (now WIN Mildura) had different owners at the time of aggregation. I imagine that a deal couldn’t be done to fit that ooperator into the aggregation model of only 3 operators.
The market is only approx 55,000 and Prime didn’t enter the market until the late 90s when the ABA auctioned off a second licence for Mildura.

Mildura, Griffith and Mount Isa were excluded from their states’ respective aggregation markets because it was deemed that the markets were too small and would be too reliant on cross subsidy from other regions to be sustainable.

I believe potentially the JV licences can be sold to a third party, subject to approval, but whether a prospective buyer could see a financial return on the investment is questionable given the small market sizes.

1 Like

Does Imparja use coverups for the 9NEWS logo during News?

I notice that on multiple TV guides, including Freeview, 9TheFIX and Imparja’s own all refer to news as…

• National News Early Edition
  • National Morning News
  • National News Now
  • National Afternoon News
  • National News

A very WIN way of branding the news… also contrasting to when Imparja used to refer to themselves on air as Nine Imparja

Thankfully they don’t coverup the 9 News logo but have their normal watermark “IMP” on the screen up the top.

Also referred to as National News on VAST. The EPG uses something like “Join the national news team for the latest in news, sport and weather.”

They’ve used the word ‘National’ for quite some time.

They do cover up the Nine logo on ACA though with the same cover up design that WIN used (made by the same person).

I think Imparja didn’t get the memo that 9 dropped “National” from their branding in 2008 :stuck_out_tongue:

Isn’t Imparja run out of MediaHub nowadays?
Maybe that means MediaHub (i.e. WIN) is in control of issuing their TV guide information, hence why it’s the same as how WIN used to always label the programmes (National News).

1 Like

Is it possible that the 9 network could stop airing programs to imparja and hand over the rights to southern cross central at any given time? It seems to me that imparja is going in a similar direction to WIN before the change last year.

Why?

2 Likes

I doubt that Southern Cross would risk putting Nine content on their main channels in Central, SA and Tasmania over their current higher-rating Seven content. Otherwise, SA and Tasmania would’ve changed to Nine back in July 2016.