Imparja Television

Really? Could have sworn I saw a promo for it not that long ago.

What does IMP air on the main Nine affiliated channel at 6?

Surely not Brisbane local news?

Would make much more sense to run Darwin news at 6, no?

Their rival, Southern Cross Central, has aired Seven News Queensland since at least the early 2000s. I assume most viewers of Imparja and SC7 are: a) living in Queensland rather than the NT, and b) simply not aware that a Darwin service exists.

Also, as far as I know, SC7 runs on Australian Eastern Standard Time (same as Queensland), rather than Central Standard Time. Iā€™m not sure if IMP airs in EST or CST, but if they run on EST, then Nine News Darwin will not be available until 6.30pm.

1 Like

Ah, I thought imparjia just aired in NT didnā€™t raise a chunk of its aud was In QLD

Imparja North (Qld/NT) airs Brisbane news live at 6pm. Imparja South (NSW/Vic/Tas/SA) airs Sydney news live. They have to make a compromise and select a news service that appeals to the largest audience in both ā€˜zonesā€™.

Back before digital began and when Nine News was only 30 minutes, they aired Brisbane news live at 6pm AEST followed by Darwin live at 6.30pm with ACA bumped to 7pm. But it didnā€™t last very long (maybe a year?) and they reverted to just showing Brisbane news live. When digital launched they began showing Darwin news on 9Gem, removing it a couple of times including just recently.

Is Imparja still using the 2012-2016 WIN PRG?

I didnā€™t realise it was available in Tas. The wiki article mentions itā€™s also available on Norfolk Island and the Spirit of Tasmania.

Iā€™m pretty sure that Lord Howe Island also gets Imparja South and the other VAST ā€œSouth Eastā€ channels.

Can confirm Spirit of Tasmania. Back in 2010 on the ship I remember seeing Imparja on the TVs

3 Likes

Correct, there are no FTA transmitters on any of the islands except Christmas Island, Cocos Island and Thursday Island which are low powered.

It would be good if there was more Imparja cappers tho.

1 Like

It sure is. Available in the grey areas on map below. I believe there are some terrestrial retransmissions of it in Tassie as well, not just direct-to-home satellite.

4 Likes

ICTV launched as a terrestrial service in Alice Springs on 1st April. I thought it was already established but apparently not!

1 Like

I think it was only available via satellite before, using capacity freed up when NITV went to SBS?

There are some self-help transmission sites in isolated Aboriginal communities that retransmit it, but I was under the impression it was also available in Alice Springs. Itā€™s been listed on Radcom for a while now. I wonder what LCN they use?

I would guess 44.

Out of pure curiosity, as Imparja is Indigenous-owned and produces some of its own content, what if when the metro networks merge with their regional affiliates after media reform, Imparja declines acquisition by Nine and becomes its own regional Indigenous network (like ICTV) with all of its own programming.

How viable would this be for both Imparja and Nine? Would Nine have to build its own broadcast towers or could it piggyback from Imparja or the now-O&O Seven or Ten Central (for both VAST and terrestrial)? I just canā€™t see Imparja selling itself to Nine due to its Indigenous roots.

EDIT: make clear that scenario occurs post-media reform when metro networks merge with regional affiliates through purchase.

The metros can only take over the affiliates that will sell to them.
So to answer your question, no one can force Imarja to sell to Nine.
Nine can also not build their own towers since they donā€™t have a licence to broadcast to that area.
If Nine want their programming to be available in the Remote & Central licence area then they have to sell it to Imarja, or do a deal with one the other licencees (Southern Cross or the SC/Imparja JV).

In no way am I suggesting a forced acquisition. My proposal is if SC Central is sold to Seven, the Ten Central joint venture is sold to Ten, but Imparja breaks off and becomes independent with its own programming: How viable would it be for Imparja? and How would Nine establish its own O&O station to compete with the now-O&O Seven and Ten Central?

Given that Imparja canā€™t fund their own evening news service, itā€™s unlikely theyā€™ll go it alone without affiliation. That would be commercial suicide.

2 Likes

They couldnā€™t

2 Likes