Imparja Television

Judging by the Imparja website, Yamba’s Playtime isn’t listed on the TV guide for any of the three channels for the next week so my guess is that the show has probably been axed…

I have not seen the show on Channel 9 since 2008.

I’m fairly sure that’s not true - the joint ventures weren’t mandatory - they had the option to just let Southern Cross take it on their own.

1 Like

it may be taking a hiatus

I haven’t seen it on Imparja for quite some time. News updates also haven’t aired since June.

1 Like

Come affiliate renewal time, I wonder if there’s a possibility that they could take on Ten affiliation for a cheaper rate or go alone as a proper commercial Independent? I’m assuming Nine will want even more money than what Imparja is currently paying for affiliation fees and Southern Cross Central may be willing to take both Nine and Seven programming?

Any local news would probably be Alice Springs centric (like it was in previous reincarnations), but they could possibly get Sky News to produce it on an oily rag. Sky could utilise their reporters in Darwin, Brisbane, Sydney and Adelaide and Imparja could possibly invest in a VJ each for Alice Springs, Mt Isa and Roma.

They already do. They fully funded their digital upgrades and addition to VAST. Either they’ll get more funding or worse - they could relunquish their licence and shut up shop. Could end up being like Griffith or SA with just SCA operating all 3 stations.

2 Likes

Somehow, I’m actually surprised that Imparja Television hasn’t been put on the market.

Then again, maybe I’m not when you consider that Remote Central/Eastern Australia isn’t exactly a market where major regional networks and big name advertisers are lining up in their droves to invest in…

This may sound out of line, but I am sure the government would rather throw more money at it to keep it alive simply because it’s an Aboriginal-owned business that has, in the past, been quite successful and is one of only a few examples of indigenous media enterprise.

3 Likes

NITV though has met much of the public service role that justified funds towards Imparja.

Obviously the criticism for NITV is the SBS involvement meaning that Indigenous people aren’t able to be involved to the same degree - but Imparja as a production house for indigenous content would be a much more valuable contribution to the media landscape than them running a loss making TV channel.

1 Like

Not at all, it is owned by Aboriginal business people who want no financial return on their investment - they have never taken dividends and have reinvested the profits back into the company. That is how they are able to still operate at a loss for time being. As such, there is absolutely no reason for them to sell Imparja- they would likely prefer to invest more money in the company rather then see it go under or be sold.

1 Like

You are correct. This is from the WA legislation, but it was the same for eastern and central.

https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F2008L04255/Explanatory%20Statement/Text

Ugly new fonts in the current lineup.

“Armed amd Fabulous” :joy:

12 Likes

Quality control at the Imparja On-Air Presentation department, I see…

8 Likes

Look at that bevel on the Imparja logo, hideous!

The only nice thing about that lineup is the background provided by Nine!

1 Like

Well at least they were using the ‘proper’ fonts before

This whole tomorrow thing is silly. If you manage to slow a capture down enough you can see the ‘tonight’ pop up underneath

At least WIN got these lineups right

2 Likes

And it’s a tight fit with the “10.50” and “Mom” squeezed in!

It looks like Imparja has stopped showing Nine News Darwin on 9Gem.

For at least a couple of months now.