Imparja Television

By the time the Nine affiliation with Imparja comes up for renewal, NEC and SCA will most likely have merged anyway. Which could mean the Seven affiliation may well go to Imparja and the J/V staying as is with TEN affiliation, who knows? As to Imparja, they can’t be making much money now with the downturn in regional ad spend. Wonder if CAAMA and the other shareholders will most likely sell if they suffer further cuts in Govt support combined with the downturn in TV ad spend?

TV Tonight has a gallery of flood-damage at the Imparja offices

I’ve been watching Imparja for the past month or so due to FTV reception problems and haven’t seen any ‘Imparja National News Updates’ airing during this time. Is it a requirement for the network to air these?

The Imparja News Facebook page has been deleted, news updates haven’t been posted on their website and Twitter since the 15th of June and newsreader Emma Groves left the network for Prime7 News in Canberra in the same month.

I don’t believe so. I think the local content requirements only apply to the Eastern States.

1 Like

The studio was flooded ages ago, damaging a lot of the equipment and office space

So is it safe to assume Imparja National News is no more?

Yamba is doing it :stuck_out_tongue:

8 Likes

Better option than Tim Bailey reading the weather :joy:

But does Yamba have a weather wall, with the forecast where you get it all?

I think not /s
CHECKMATE!

3 Likes

Are they still making new Yamba episodes?

Can’t imagine what would have happened if Imparja had got their hands on Nine Darwin back in 2008. It was said that Imparja was going to buy the station but couldn’t get government funding so the sale didn’t happen.

I was just having a bit of a look at the Imparja TV guide earlier and noticed that they show Home Shopping on weekdays during the 1pm-3pm block when Nine usually show a movie or repeat.

Seems like an odd time of day to be showing Home Shopping programs.

For example:
Today:
NINE:
12.00 Ellen
13.00 Extra
13.30 The Block
15.00 Nine News Now

IMPARJA:
12.00 Ellen
13.00 Danoz
15.00 Nine News Now

They also show Home Shopping on Saturday’s between 10am-12pm instead of showing Today Extra.

2 Likes

They’ve been inserting and removing Home Shopping during the daytime for many years. Sometimes they had it replacing Mornings and Nine News Morning Edition. I remember they once had Ellen replacing the news, followed by home shopping in place of Ellen and whatever other US talk show was on at the time - The View?

2 Likes

IMP can be classed as a community station, but is a community station allowed to show home shopping?

It’s a commercial licence.

2 Likes

Interesting reading from Imparja’s submission to the ACMA closed captioning review. They are losing money - 9GO!, 9GEM and the joint venture Ten channels run at a loss.

The full submission, which mentions that their lack of local News is due to cost:
http://www.acma.gov.au/~/media/Content%20Projects%20and%20Policy/Issue%20for%20comment/IFC%2014%202016/Sub%2003%20-%20Imparja.docx (Word)

6 Likes

Something is going to give sooner or later.

The multi channel platform and Ten Joint Venture were pretty much government policy as they saw giving people access to all 16 channels (at that time) would be a vote winner.

Given the population is very small and the licence area is very large geographically, I think the government may be forced to provide financial assistance at some point.

4 Likes

Whoa! And this is a station that produces no content (except Yamba maybe?), some station promos and IDs, and advertiser content. So I’d expect it to be pretty lean.

IIRC Yamba stopped years ago.

i think it’s still going