Imparja Television

Given how marginal their business is at this point in time, I doubt anything will happen to them.

I do wonder how things would’ve turned out if they had managed to buy NTD.

1 Like

If they had, NTD would be going down the drain with them. Local TV news would’ve completely died years ago, reduced to noodle updates just like Imparja.

Imparja has no money stream from a network of other stations, it’s on its own. Whereas SCA covers the east coast and its Seven markets, WIN covers almost all regional markets, PMG covers the east coast and WA. They’re able to prop up their weakest markets with their stronger ones.

5 Likes

If they’re getting any sort of government grants, that should be looked into.

If they’re not receiving any, then it’s a simple case of being just another shitty TV station not doing what it should be done by the people to which their license area covers. Like every other TV station in regional Australia.

1 Like

An interesting statement - I wonder how Imparja have determined the licence to be valued at $3m

(Interestingly, the auditor has raised it over consecutive audits too)

2 Likes

It’s really just comes down to Accounting technicalities.

The licence would definitely have some value since it’s existence allows the owner the generate advertising from the sale of ads. There are many ways to calculate this, and given the values claimed by other networks, and historical sale prices the value they’ve determined seems reasonable.

However, Accounting standards say that intangible assets such as licences can have a maximum reported value of either the amount paid for it (in this case nothing since Imparja got it for free) or an impending sale price (also nothing since it’s not on the market). That doesn’t mean it doesn’t have value, just that it can’t be reported. The standard is actually debatable in merit and may possibly change in the next decade or so.

So basically all that’s happening here is that Imparja are telling their stakeholders that the licence has a financial value to them, while the auditors are saying that it’s inconsistent with Accounting standards and therefore how other companies are reporting.

While Imparja’s reporting is therefore technically incorrect, it’s probably not illegal and both sides of the story probably help paint a more accurate picture.

2 Likes

I doubt there is any question whether the licence has a value, determining that value is always going to be difficult given there are only a finite number of licences and most of them are different in some form or another. The fallback to valuing them at acquisition cost is a sound practice even if it does mean you dont book a value against the licence.

A comment like that from the auditor is not necessarily a good thing - particularly over multiple years, the accounting standards (as out of touch as some of them are) need to be met.

3 Likes

Imparja is now scheduling RBT in addition to The Block on 9Gem.

Today still airs on 9Go! at 10.30am.

5 Likes

It’s good that they are getting the multichannel local quota they need, unlike the WIN and WIN/Prime owned Nine channels who have done nothing.

2 Likes

I get the feeling they may end up just relaunching 9LIFE in these areas as opposed to shuffling schedules across multi channels.

But you’re right, at least Imparja are doing something

embarrassed-guy

23 Likes

They’ve left 3 balls behind on the cricket pitch?

11 Likes

Or they are now an affiliate of Channel 6 and will get news with Kent Brockman?

6 Likes

WTF??

At least the logo is centred.

Oh.

Maybe Southern Cross Central will scoop them up? :smiley:

2 Likes

New VO tonight:

8 Likes

Jesus they’re still using the old program super??

1 Like

It has been used on Imparja since January 2015. Longer than it existed on Nine!

6 Likes

6 Likes

Imparja is showing Nine News on 9Gem tonight, even though it’s the Brisbane bulletin that was shown 30 minutes earlier on Imparja North. Should have just gone back to the network feed if Darwin is taking Brissie news. :grimacing:

Also, another Christmas ident. I like this one.

First time I’ve seen that logo animation.

10 Likes