Imparja Television

How come Imparja’s watermark does not include the Nine dots, while their full logo does?

1 Like

SCTV does something similar too.

It looked dirty from the beginning:

Also on Go/Gem they just let the Nine promos through unaltered, but on main channel they are branded Imparja?

6 Likes

Great to see some discussion in the Imparja thread tonight!

Interesting that they use a clean feed for some points - I’m assuming there’d be no PRG, etc. during these times?

3 Likes

No one really knows, but I have a theory:

The quality of the channel is the same as WIN’s SD channels (atrocious), so the previous dotty watermark was almost unreadable. Perhaps they wanted it readable, but as it’s wide it would look too big if they increased the size? They settled on something more identifiable. This theory holds up as we have only ever seen it as a watermark/cover up, nothing else.

7 Likes

That’s embarrassing to have the 9HD logo present when they don’t have the main channel in HD.
Surely it can’t be that hard to just air their own Imparja branded promos in place of these.

Before MediaHub. Brilliant quality SD:

MediaHub:

It looks half decent here, but you can imagine how blurry it would get during anything with detailed movement.

9 Likes

How come the quality from MediaHub (a newer facility) is progressively worse? And where were they broadcasting from before?

I think they used to broadcast from the Alice Springs HQ before?

I think link of the incoming Nine feeds to Media Hub is very dodgy. Years ago I contacted someone at WIN asking why the picture quality of WIN was so bad. I got a response saying it was due to an issue with the cable from Nine to Media Hub and that their engineers were going to fix it soon. But that never happened …

I think this is why the PQ of Imparja and Go! looks bad. Gem looks alright.

It was the same when I went to Griffith last year on the Nine channels.

9 Likes

In that case, since Media Hub is in the wider Sydney metro area and should get good TCN-9 reception over the air, and since WIN insist on placing giant blobs over everything anyway, they should have just used the off air feed :grin:

1 Like

They must take the Sydney feed for Gem (there is no split north/south feed), as I just saw these Sydney promos go to air:

8 Likes

Interesting. Although makes sense as 9Gem sticks to AEDT timing during daylight saving months.

Any indications which feed they use for 9Go?
They could easily stick with the Sydney feed and delay it one hour into the northern zone in the daylight saving months.

A quick way to check which market the feed is coming from is compare the PRG to those on the 9Now streams.
Brisbane and Sydney streams on 9Now usually use different colour on the PRG graphics on 9Go and 9Life from my tests.

Today Show bug:

I wonder why they don’t go to the trouble of covering up the Nine News graphic (again, no clock used)?

Also in the EPG they follow WIN’s naming method for Nine’s news bulletins:

National News Early Edition, National Morning News, National News Now, National Afternoon News, National News.

9 Likes

Is Imparja covering up because their playout is controlled by WIN?

I don’t believe they are covering up anything. On clean feed, there is nothing in that corner on the Today Show graphics (where the Nine logo would be).

So if they didn’t put their “coverup” bug there, there would be nothing.

It’s the same with A Current Affair.

These coverup bugs look like they are the same template that WIN used to use, just with IMP instead of WIN. Not surprising seeing as though they are both broadcast at the same location.

5 Likes

Oh god, don’t jinx it! It was terrible with WIN, and it’s still terrible with NBN (which is Nine owned for goodness sake!)

1 Like

PQ when they are showing their own programs (infomercials) looks alright. Because its not coming from Nine:

3 Likes

Interesting to see they use a clock on Today that isn’t even on the right time in part of their broadcast region.

I would have expected it to have an “EST” underneath maybe… or nothing at all.

2 Likes

Very confusing when I spent a few days in Alice Springs. Both Sunrise and Today were showing the “incorrect” time.

3 Likes

WWOS coverup:

5 Likes