Ideas, Issues, Suggestions

But just as much as you have a right to express opinions, everyone else also have a right to express theirs and challenge opinions. It works both ways. No one is attacking you they’re just challenging your opinions because some of them were formulated from a purely emotional point of view rather than a mix of emotion and logistical point of view.

1 Like

Hi mods:

I think it would be a good idea to put birthday cake emojis next to peoples account names on posts on the day they joined the site or on their actual birthday.

For example: My birthday is on the 27th of this month, so on that you put the emoji next to my account name.

1 Like

The forum already has this for the anniversary of joining the site.

9 Likes

That part you’ve circled simply means a post in the COVID-19: Discussion of Impact topic has a link back to the post you’ve screenshot, whether through a direct URL or a quote. The forum software knows when a post has been quoted/linked outside of a topic and provides you with this shortcut.

4 Likes

Did you mean to a particular post? Click on the “chain” symbol at the bottom of the message you want to link. Then hit Copy Link and Paste into your post.

1 Like

We should merge Nine News Darwin and NBN News threads, sort of like a Nine News thread for their outer metro stations?

Personal opinion but given that they are both separate brands, I’d say it makes sense to keep them separate? The Darwin thread has a couple hundred posts too so it seems to be able to keep a conversation going.

5 Likes

That’s also true.

Not unless they come under the same branding in the future.

4 Likes

Can people please remember to reply to the post they are talking about (or quote it), instead of just making a new post? That way it is easier to keep track of conversations when other, non-related posts have been made between the related ones.

1 Like

Just a reminder to members that sockpuppet accounts are not tolerated and said accounts will be suspended indefinitely if found.

6 Likes

What’s sock puppet? Is that two accounts for one person?

1 Like

Yep.

1 Like

Oh I didn’t know that. I’ve never heard that term.

Has that happened here or is this a general reminder?

2 Likes

bart5

15 Likes

It happens here often. Sometimes they go undetected by us until they stuff up, like accidentally using the 2nd account to reply to a post when it should have been their original account, for example. Of course we gather factual evidence as well before acting on it.

We suspend the 2nd account and give the member a fair warning when they’re caught, which I think is fair. If they want to leave the forum altogether over it then that’s up to them.

6 Likes

Haha. I’ve never noticed this. People must be real good at being sneaky AND you guys must be real quick at deleting the posts where they reply to themselves cause I’ve never seen this.

2 Likes

They generally delete the posts themselves once they realise what they’ve done :wink:

1 Like

Ohhhhhhh.

I don’t get it. Why do you need two accounts? The only time that I could think of needing this is if I forget my password AND have been locked out of my emails for whatever reason and can’t reset my password.

2 Likes

The opening paragraphs in the Wikipedia article are a good definition. You can see why some members would enjoy using one. Maybe they don’t get the praise they want so they manufacture false praise to boost their credibility? There are many other reasons though.

Sock puppet account - Wikipedia

2 Likes