Ideas, Issues, Suggestions

Why are threads being locked to stop discussion of topics?

I don’t think people are speculating - they are just discussing potential host options because the current Weekend Today team is dreadful and we all know it.

Maybe moderators see it differently to me.

1 Like

6 Likes

It’s because we’ve got other threads for this.

6 Likes

I’ve always used the desktop version on my iPad and haven’t had too many issues until recently

1 Like

Could it be the animated ads that are chewing up the battery power?

1 Like

Its done to stop the thread derailing - in this case a direction was given to move on (and those wishing to continue the speculative talk to take it to another specified thread):

It could be an issue with the browser - do you have the battery option in settings that allows you to see what apps have consumed battery?

1 Like

Dunno, MS is resource hungry for me too, my laptop fan goes berserk whenever I’m here, but when I log out, it’s all back to normal. Maybe MS gives old Compaq’s hot flushes? Uses about a quarter of the CPU every time, with no other windows loaded.

It also refuses to bring up the site, from time to time and I often have to click my link for it a couple of times for it to work.

I’m using Mozilla, so no Apple stuff… could be something to do with the website/host affecting some users?

1 Like

I get the same level of resource hogging as the old Facebook news feed. After scrolling a thread for a while, the memory consumption increases.

2 Likes

Yeah - iOS’ settings app allows you to see how much battery various apps use. For me, Chrome is the app which uses most of my battery but that’s expected because it’s the app I mostly use

Opera on my phone strips out the ads and some of the data, and I generally have no problems with MS.

1 Like

Yeah I don’t see ads and don’t usually have issues with MS, unless it’s down.

1 Like

I notice that when I copy and paste an Instagram link on this forum, the post doesn’t show up. Does it happen to anyone else?

1 Like

I did notice that a lot of the time, so I tried to get links from FB or Twitter instead.

Is there a place where i can get my username changed?
I want it changed to JoelMaddenWindowsInsider

2 Likes

Is anyone else getting a lot of downtime recently? The site not loading at all rather than the heavy load stuff?

2 Likes

I get a notification when the site goes down for more than about 75 seconds - I only got one today, but I did notice that it was slow to load.

I suspect that the gap between heavy load mode and no response isnt very large

1 Like

Why do I have a like limit?

1 Like

There is a limit on the number of likes you can give in a day (200) - we believe that is a reasonable number (and is a significant uplift on the default value)

16 Likes

Clearly it’s to keep ego’s in check :slightly_smiling_face:

I know the topic of ads came up here recently, but is there anyway for a user to turn specific types of ads off? I seem to almost exclusively be getting ads about getting rid of tonsil stones and excess earwax with rather graphic accompanying images which make browsing this site first thing in the morning rather unpleasant. I report most as inappropriate, and have tried resetting Safari completely, yet they remain. I do not suffer from these issues, I have never Googled these issues, I am not interested in their remedies, I’m just sick of looking at them. Is there anything else I can try?