House Rules

This must be a reality show first :thinking:

1 Like

According to this article https://au.be.yahoo.com/amphtml/laurence-llewelyn-bowen-wont-royal-wedding-070050917.html LLB says that the reason why the auction house is so important to the series is that whatever profit is made from the sale of the house will actually be the prize fund the teams will be vying for in the remainder of the series. So the higher the profit, the more one of the teams will win at the end in the grand final. That’s why the teams will want to do an excellent job in the renovation of the auction house.

1 Like

The house was auctioned off in March this year according to promo.

The series can’t only have been filmed two months ago, surely?

It’s possible that this property was renovated late last year but was not auctioned until March, or this renovation took place after the other seven houses had been renovated.

If that’s the case, it must be another house being auctioned because according to the other article, the first auction house must have had to be auctioned off before the rest of the series could occur so there could be a profit decided upon and thus overall total prize fund that the teams will be vying for this season. LLB said so in the article.

I think it’s the same auction house. The judges might score each team’s work which would then decide the renovation order of the properties of the seven teams; the total prize fund would be revealed after interior renovation of the seven houses were completed.

Do you mean this article? All it says is “The first challenge is to flip a house in Sydney… whatever profit they make from that then becomes the prize fund for the rest of the series.”

If they don’t reveal the cash prize until later, it gives them the opportunity for literally months of “WHAT WILL BE HOUSE RULES MASSIVE PRIZE? YOU’LL NEVER BELIEVE IT! TUNE IN TO FIND OUT” promos.

2 Likes

This is my guilty Aussie pleasure but since season 2 it has suffered from getting more and more bloated and then in later seasons focusing more on drama rather than renoations - for example deliberately splitting the zones across the house because they think we want to see arguments over space every week, rather than for example a Master Bedroom/Ensuite created by one team with one vision. Indeed with the walk in robe the Master Bedroom is often split between three teams.

It looks likely then with the extra team and launch week twist it’ll be a more bloated series than ever, and not happy to hear the judging will again be split over two nights. In season one it was done over about half an hour in the back half of episode 4!

That said I have always thought starting with a neutral project where all teams compete would be a good idea so at least the competitors have more of an idea about the people who own the first house.

Ratings for the judging were high but the renovation episodes were dropping off. So now there is more judging and less renovating.

reality shows often deceive things in a certain way. They could have auctioned the house after the renovations without contestants knowing the exact prize pool.

1 Like

According to Seven’s program guide for next week, the first two teams to have their homes renovated this season were Jess and Jared (Adelaide), then Mel and Dave (Gold Coast).

1 Like

What was the disclaimer at the beginning of the episode? I only saw a flash of it so I don’t know what it was about.

Something along the lines of:

This episode contained an incident (or it may have said injury) which could cause distress to some viewers.

EDIT: Found it.

4 Likes

Out of interest, did Deeksy do a V/O for it?

He always does the ones for “Lifeline” et al. after whatever network program requires a billboard.

The accident involved guest judge Carolyn but she is OK now.

2 Likes

Not sure, we only got the last couple of frames of it on the recording with no audio in that section.

1 Like

what happed to her??? missed that bit

I think a plank of wood fell on her.

1 Like

It’s on the show’s Twitter now if you really want to see it.

2 Likes