House Rules

Nah, I think I’ll pass. But thanks anyway J.

1 Like

A fractured sternum and two fractured ribs. It certainly wasn’t just a minor accident!

2 Likes

Turns out the auction house is the one at Rosebery in Sydney’s south, which was first reported by News Corp back in March. According to CoreLogic, Seven bought the house in September 2017 for $1.25 million.

1 Like

The house was auctioned on March 19 this year according to realestate.com.au. It was sold for $1.605 million, meaning the profit is $355,000 which will be the prize money for the winning team this season.

In the past five seasons, the team which had its house renovated first tended to struggle in the next 2-3 renovations. The auction house was devised to ratify the problem so every team would have one renovation under its belt.

This pictured house in the article is not the auction house, was it just one they used for the purposes of the article? We did actually find out what the selling price and hence the profit was in the auction last night. The house sold for $1.605 million, which meant that the profit was $355 000 so this will be the prize money the teams are fighting for this year. Thank goodness they won’t be dragging this out as you thought they might do.

But if the auction really did only happen in March, then the producers played a bit of a trick on the viewers thinking that the auction day was soon after they got judged at Home base but what was shown was not in the order it was filmed. They just edited the auction day into the episode even though it happened months later. So the teams may not have known all season what their prize money but the viewers will be assuming they do. I suppose the only way to find out is if they actually talk about an exact prize sum figure again in these episodes to come or not. If they do, it would certainly make things quite confusing, given you are so sure it happened in March.

$355 000 is a decent sum of money to earn on a show like this, more than what was up for grabs in MKR and in addition the winners would have their entire home inside and out completely renovated so the winners should count themselves extremely lucky!!

Edit: The teams are still talking about the exact prize sum figure at the first interior renovation so I am stumped now. It doesn’t make sense that this auction happened in March now, after all the other renovations :thinking:

1 Like

Once again this year, it seems that for the judging in the first interior renovation round including for the judging of the auction house last night, the judges are not making an appearance at Home Base to deliver the scores to the teams themselves, instead it’s Joh reading them out. I hated how they did this last season and I hate how they are doing it once again, it’s so tacky. I don’t understand what may prevent the judges being there in person when I thought they started doing this in like the last season or two that Joe Snell was a judge. Would it have something to do with one of the judges, maybe not Wendy since she was able to be appear with Joe in those aforementioned series’ with Joe but Drew or LLB not being available all the time to make these studio appearances?

There’s also a new build supervisor this season; Owen. I don’t know if any were mentioned in past years since Chester Drife left.

In addition, there does not appear to be any proper opening credits or song at the start of the show this year, just a House Rules card that shows after the previews etc at the start of the show, which is extremely disappointing.

This was broadcast around 11:30pm last night immediately after the footy

As mentioned 5 days ago and posted a few posts back.

2 Likes

It was from the premiere episode on Monday, showing again at the start of the encore episodes. See earlier posts on the subject:

1 Like

Yes, I know, but people were asking about it. Didn’t realise Ando had edited his post. All good :slight_smile:

1 Like

The photo in the article is indeed the finished look for the house as shown in Tuesday’s auction episode. The judges inspected the house in February. I notice there was a copy of the March 2018 issue of Marie Claire in the upstairs bedroom with Jesinta and Lance “Buddy” Franklin on the cover.
I wonder how the producers managed to squeeze seven days of renovation footage into one single episode - Monday’s season opener. Apart from the freak accident which saw Carolyn hospitalised for a couple of days and Josh and Brandon having the concrete panel back to front next to the ground floor staircase, it must have been an uneventful renovation.
I haven’t seen the start of Jared and Jess’ renovation yet so I am not sure if other teams were talking about the auction near the site, or in the studio.

That pictured house in the link you provided above is most definitely NOT the house that was finished, did you even watch the episode? This is just some house that they use in Purplebricks promotions; I’ve seen it in Purplebricks ads during House Rules. The auction house from the front looked like two shipping containers stacked on top of each other with no slanted roofs which is why I thought it looked quite odd. The top story had what looked like dark wooden panelling from the front of the house and rather modern and edgy, this pictured Purplebricks house is mostly grey and looks like more of an older-styled house.

Mate you need to start thinking about the way you speak before you press send on your replies.

3 Likes

By not showing all the boring renovation bits they showed in previous seasons. :wink:

The actual renovations are the boring bits.

1 Like

I’m surprised at how bad some of the renovations/rooms were. I know the contestants are cast on their viewer appeal but some of these people didn’t have a clue what they were doing.

So after watching MasterChef and The Voice over the past two weeks I finally got the chance to catch up with the renovation of Jess and Jared’s Adelaide house.
I notice there are three changes: in the past five seasons, teams renovating the house were able to take possession of the homeowner’s personal stuff (like clothes) and reuse them in their respective zone. EDIT: This season all that stuff was put into separate storage, so that all teams could reuse them in decorating their zones on the final day. Also the end of renovation is again combined with judges’ reveal, similar to season 4. The third change was that the house would be valued by Purplebricks before and after the renovation, with the new value revealed to the homeowners.
I feel that the constant argument between Chiara and David was really annoying and prevented the couple from making rational decisions on design, which could affect their scoring.
The producers also made a mistake in last Thursday’s episode. When build supervisor Owen told Mel that she and Dave were $2000 over their budget, the camera zoomed in to the team’s labour quote. However in post-production they forgot to blur the address of Jess and Jared’s house. It’s still on the video as shown on 7plus.

It’s similar to the opening to The Block last year. That’s one way to save money for the parent company.

Photo of House Rules with LLB in 2018 On a perth Bus.

1 Like

Oh, oh. Are you going to stalk them?

1 Like

Caught up with the reveal episodes of Jess and Jared’s house, in between the coverage of the royal wedding.
The judges were scathing of most of the teams’ efforts and they gave lots of 5s and 6s. But Jess and Jared loved the renovation in general, giving Dave and Mel a 9. I guess the homeowners and the judges have different judging criteria.

The renovation of Josh and Brandon’s house in Maryborough, which began airing this week, was done in mid November 2017, according to this article from local paper Fraser Coast Chronicle. So this again raises the question: was the auction house renovated after the seven houses belonging to each team?