Hot Seat

That’s another good point, though I’ve also noticed these days that for most of the year, Nine and Seven have had similar or identical prime-time schedules after 7:30pm: [reality tentpole], [drama], [late news].

Also, in most cases there are no markets wherein both the AFL AND NRL are on the main Seven and Nine channels respectively at the same time, except when the Swans/Giants/Lions/Suns are playing in prime-time, and it doesn’t clash with the news, Seven would sometimes air these games on the main channel in their respective markets, likewise with the Melbourne Storm on Nine in Melbourne.

1 Like

I think Darwin is the only one. And Remote Eastern.

2 Likes

On 22 October, HSV7 moved TPIR to 3pm with Coxy’s Big Break taking over the 5pm timeslot. This move was an attempt to boost the ratings of 7 News Melbourne which was unsuccessful.

3 Likes

if I remember correctly, one bulletin in November that year rated under 200,000 - and this was after five years of hard work which saw them become the top-rating bulletin in Melbourne.

Whatever Nine did, whether it was hard promotion, or viewers simply switching back, worked instant wonders.

The ratings magic weaved by “Deal or No Deal” also started to wear off after 2009, too.

4 Likes

It was also due to the poor production of TPIR and the low ratings it provided in Melbourne. It was a very cheap production.

5 Likes

I felt the Seven iteration lacked the atmosphere the original Nine version had, though some of the traditional games (such as that game where you had to stop a duck on a mountain, can’t remember the name of it) were carried over into the 2012 revamp.

These days, game show revamps haven’t done well - the Weakest Link revival hosted by Magda Szubanski on Nine crashed and burnt, lasting only ten episodes, plus some celebrity specials, while Nine’s attempt at reviving Wheel of Fortune in 2008 lasted only five weeks.

On that note, it’ll be interesting to see how 10 takes on Deal or No Deal - which as we all know was a much-loved format on Seven and was a major factor in its 6:00pm news ratings slowly but surely increasing, specifically in the key East Coast markets.

3 Likes

Sometimes it’s good to leave classic game shows in the past. What worked before may not work again.

4 Likes
5 Likes

So they’d been thinking about wrapping up the show for a long time now?

1 Like

While I understand the decision to “rest” Hot Seat was made well after the final “new” episode had been produced, it would be disappointing not to see a tribute show/special like they did when the original Millionaire went on hiatus in April 2006, that coming shortly after Eddie became Nine CEO - a role which required him to move to Sydney.

While the original Millionaire did return for a short run towards the end of 2007, I wouldn’t be surprised if the show (either in the original or Hot Seat format) returned within the next two-to-three years.

2 Likes

Final episode for the year …

5 Likes

And indefinitely too.

2 Likes

As expected, no special signoff on tonight’s episode

3 Likes

“Catch you next time” from Eddie

Final contestant

6 Likes

And that’s that. Ended just like another normal episode. No “big win” to end the show either.

Reminds me of when Temptation ended on Nine too. Without a bang.

4 Likes

Technically it’s not the last episode though. Maybe they’re planning some big fanfare for the last repeat episode to air, whenever that is?

When are we expecting the last ep to air? end of Dec or just before Australian Open?

I would say before the Australian Open.

Tennis starts Dec 29 so it could go either way with Nine moving tennis to Gem at 5pm for Hot seat rpts or tennis straight into 6pm news meaning Hot Seat ends in December.

May also make some for late night repeats or filler on a multi channel in some random timeslots?

They might just need to edit out the ‘newsbreaks’ throw tos.

2 Likes